• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stud, Power & Metal Detector

Major Geek

Sergeant
Not wishing to trash my shiny new house I am thinking of investing in a Stud/Power/Metal detector. Are they any good? Any recommendations?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Not wishing to trash my shiny new house I am thinking of investing in a Stud/Power/Metal detector. Are they any good? Any recommendations?

Yes, they are quite handy.
Don't bother with an expensive one; get it from the local market or whatever.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

B

Bucc Boy

I bought one about 10 years ago but never really got on with it. I found it was difficult to differentiate between a power cable and a stud.

I have no doubt they have improved the technology in the last decade and they are far more user friendly but I look forward to hearing more up to date opinions.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Having seen someone drill into a wall and hit a mains cable, I can tell you that the commotion in his underwear was considerable. BANG!!! WTF!!! Getting the thing fixed was an utter pain as well; dry lined walls and original installation put in by a leckie who it seems was short of materials, i.e. no slack in the system. Moral of the story - always use a detector.