• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strike!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Unions don't typically cover wages. Going on strike typically results in hardship for those taking the action. If they're not at work, they don't get paid, and this can also impact on their pensions as well. It's a very unusual union that will cover your wages.
Back in the day the unions would rattle the tins, at football matches, on picket lines, in the local clubs and pubs to boost the union hardship fund to "pay" the strikers for not going to work.

Deltaitem

Corporal
It doesn't happen any more, and hasn't done for decades. Union hardship funds, I'm not sure they ever existed, and more likely would have been funded by the members' subscriptions. They don't even get mentioned anymore (apart from maybe in the daily fail), and if they did, it was probably about the same time as blanco was applied to webbing. Since at least colour TV came online, if you go on strike, you don't get paid.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Thanks. However my grade are not involved. Its targeted at those of certain grades who examine and produce, and salaries will be paid by the union for those who strike. There's quite a stampede to sign up for membership at the moment!

In answer to Busby's point, much of it has been handed over to the private sector. Teleperformance have handled customer calls for a few years now - last year customers either couldnt get through, or got through and were given incorrect information, which was a big factor in the backlogs.
Well I for one hope the privatisation goes all the way.
If a private company can do the same work for what we pay the CS, then it’s a great place to start deflating the militant ranks.
In the meantime there’s talk of OFFERING work to the military to be paid extra to do this.
Nothing better than stuffing lazy militants, and getting those who want it a few extra quid. Prison officers also being offered that chance.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The problem when they privatise they don’t look for parity of service and cost, which would probably leave a little profit for a similar service, they try to reduce cost, so typically end up with a much worse service. For some reason the government never have open book contracts where SLAs are correctly defined and an agreed margin permitted.

like the other strikes we will all have an opinion on whether or not people are being greedy, for me the high demands in the rail industry, Junior Drs and Initial expectations of nurses are a little rich, but for these guys asking for more than 2 per cent seems reasonable, with 5 or 6 percent more typical at the moment.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
And the union is covering wages for the entire time???
Yes - . And covering the wages of those who join up over the next week or so - and there are a lot suddenly realising that they have two options here - go on strike, or be one of the very few coming to work every day, dealing with angry customers, not being able to take leave over those weeks unless pre-booked, and day after day seeing the queue of applications getting bigger and bigger.

There are over 100,000 members who each pay a monthly levvy of up to £25 a month and have done for years. We also contribute an extra £5 a month to the wage fund, and have done since the ballot to strike was passed by around 90% of the membership, so there is a lot of money in the coffers. The union are covering net wages, so pension contributions wouldnt be covered and would become the choice of the individual whether to miss a payment or make it up themselves. Similarly, non-rostered days arent covered, so HMPO will still be paying everyone for the public holidays, as the strike days are recorded daily and pay witheld for that day.

Last year, me and my team moved heaven and earth to deal with a backlog due to Covid, with most people doing close to 12 hour days, often working 7 day weeks, including over the jubilee weekend. Then we saw our "thanks" from the Govt. I'm sorry for those inconvenienced, but 2% pay increase imposed when inflation is running at close to 11% and my team earning barely more than the person who cleans the bogs is beyond acceptable. I have 60 year olds who walk two miles to work because they cant afford the bus fare and others who use food banks. Some of the staff have to get a raise in April because they are on minimum wage. Aldi staff now earn just 13p an hour less than my passport examiners - and they probably get staff discount at Aldi!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
The problem when they privatise they don’t look for parity of service and cost, which would probably leave a little profit for a similar service, they try to reduce cost, so typically end up with a much worse service. For some reason the government never have open book contracts where SLAs are correctly defined and an agreed margin permitted.

like the other strikes we will all have an opinion on whether or not people are being greedy, for me the high demands in the rail industry, Junior Drs and Initial expectations of nurses are a little rich, but for these guys asking for more than 2 per cent seems reasonable, with 5 or 6 percent more typical at the moment.

Our demand was for 10%, so having seen some of the settlements, there is a deal to be done that wont be inflation busting. Had pay kept pace with inflation and the NMW over the past few years, my team would be on around £15 an hour. They are on just over £11 an hour. NMW has risen from £7 to £10.50 in the same period.

Our "partners" can charge us when we ask for something extra, but when they need help, or fail to meet SLA, it goes very quiet and all that seems to happen is civil servants get seconded to assist. There were thousands of unopened post last year that the partners couldnt cope with and match up to applications - we had to supply staff to go through them. Result - less staff dealing with applications. Result - longer wait times for customers. Result - 500 people turning up unannounced at the passport office each day asking "what the f**k is going on". Result - me and my team having to deal with those 500. Result - my team are less productive dealing with the angry 500 and the queue of applicants gets bigger.

Thats privatisation on the cheap for you in a nutshell.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Yes - . And covering the wages of those who join up over the next week or so - and there are a lot suddenly realising that they have two options here - go on strike, or be one of the very few coming to work every day, dealing with angry customers, not being able to take leave over those weeks unless pre-booked, and day after day seeing the queue of applications getting bigger and bigger.

There are over 100,000 members who each pay a monthly levvy of up to £25 a month and have done for years. We also contribute an extra £5 a month to the wage fund, and have done since the ballot to strike was passed by around 90% of the membership, so there is a lot of money in the coffers. The union are covering net wages, so pension contributions wouldnt be covered and would become the choice of the individual whether to miss a payment or make it up themselves. Similarly, non-rostered days arent covered, so HMPO will still be paying everyone for the public holidays, as the strike days are recorded daily and pay witheld for that day.

Last year, me and my team moved heaven and earth to deal with a backlog due to Covid, with most people doing close to 12 hour days, often working 7 day weeks, including over the jubilee weekend. Then we saw our "thanks" from the Govt. I'm sorry for those inconvenienced, but 2% pay increase imposed when inflation is running at close to 11% and my team earning barely more than the person who cleans the bogs is beyond acceptable. I have 60 year olds who walk two miles to work because they cant afford the bus fare and others who use food banks. Some of the staff have to get a raise in April because they are on minimum wage. Aldi staff now earn just 13p an hour less than my passport examiners - and they probably get staff discount at Aldi!
Unusual for Senior Management to be part of a union, isn’t it?

Deltaitem

Corporal
Senior staff need representation, as much as the next person, especially given this shafting government. Taking my neck of the woods as an example, Unison takes members and charges subscriptions based on what you earn. So, quite rightly, the more you earn, the more you pay. They don't really have much more to say beyond that about who can join and who can't. My friend is on AFC band 8 something or other, he's in a management role, and he's in Unison. The 'junior' doctors that are striking actually includes Registrars, very senior doctors, who may not necessarily be called managers, but they're most definitely in leadership positions and if they're on strike then they're in a union. The RCN, sometimes known colloquially as the arsey-N - although in fairness they've pulled out the stops this time - simply charge all registered nurses the same flat fee, regardless of whether they'd be in a management role or not.
At the end of the day, why wouldn't a senior manager join a union? It's not all about picket lines and going on strike. I've been in one union or another since 1993, never been balloted, never been on strike, stood on one picket line -during my lunch break - but have been glad for union advice on a handful of occasions.

However, if you're asking because you need a union yourself, then look no further.
There's one for everyone. For the many, not the few.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Managers in the public sector are generally in unions or employee associations (which act just like a union).

For me personally they would raise a conflict of interest, Ive never met a private sector HR bod who has been in one, however, there have been plenty of times I would have like to have been able to call on one.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Managers in the public sector are generally in unions or employee associations (which act just like a union).

For me personally they would raise a conflict of interest, Ive never met a private sector HR bod who has been in one, however, there have been plenty of times I would have like to have been able to call on one.
Very much so. My grade hasnt been called out on strike, so now I am expected to help run a service to mitigate the impact caused by my union (who I give money to) calling my team to walk out.

Captain Kirk

Corporal

Conflict of interest!
There’s quite a tide against the CS now, not so much about the strikes, as 2% is derisory. They’ve highlighted themselves for the gold plated pensions they receive. Rightly or wrongly I can see the whole ‘package’ being looked at now.
This is not an argument to have on here, but PS pensions are very very good, it would be a shame to give this government the reason they want to get back in again and trim them back.

Deltaitem

Corporal
I wasn't balloted for strike, so I can't claim a similar badge of honour as Mutty. But everyone in my Union has a say in the offer, and for the first time ever, I've been asked my opinion on said offer and allowed to vote on it. Results will be out later this week, but I'm comfortable with my decision.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Very much so. My grade hasnt been called out on strike, so now I am expected to help run a service to mitigate the impact caused by my union (who I give money to) calling my team to walk out.
Just over a week in and whilst there is no chaos like last year, having 60% of your operational staff out, on top of those who had pre-booked Easter leave, is starting to bite, with shortages in specific skill areas. And its not a case of "train some up", because there's nobody to do that training as they are out. Management are hopeful of an increase in workers once the Easter holidays are over, but those people who have been on AL since 3 April could just as easily go on strike instead of coming back to work. PCS are currently balloting for another 6 month mandate, and a "yes" vote could see the 5 weeks become longer.

Deltaitem

Corporal
Well, who knew? Unison said yes and the RCN said no. Surprised or what! Myself and everyone I spoke to thought that if anything, Unison would say no and RCN would say yes.

Interesting times

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Update - my grade was called out for the first week in May and I did join my colleagues on the picket line. It was a fancy dress day and I turned up in a Pikachu outfit (or picket-chu as I was labelled!)

The original offer was 2%. During the strike, it was increased to 4.5%, with an additional 0.5% for the lowest paid. After another "yes" vote to another 6 months of industrial action, today the offer has now included a £1500 flat rate one-off payment. for last year and a commitment to not change the redundancy package until at least 2025.

Our NEC will be discussing it on Monday once the fine print has been looked at and I await their recommendation.

Deltaitem

Corporal
Collective worker action facilitates negotiation, and that's what gets results. Solidarity works every time. I bet that offer wouldn't even have been mentioned if you hadn't had to strike.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Update - my grade was called out for the first week in May and I did join my colleagues on the picket line. It was a fancy dress day and I turned up in a Pikachu outfit (or picket-chu as I was labelled!)

The original offer was 2%. During the strike, it was increased to 4.5%, with an additional 0.5% for the lowest paid. After another "yes" vote to another 6 months of industrial action, today the offer has now included a £1500 flat rate one-off payment. for last year and a commitment to not change the redundancy package until at least 2025.

Our NEC will be discussing it on Monday once the fine print has been looked at and I await their recommendation.
Hmm, I received the email from the Cabinet Secretary and it doesn't mention the £1.5k as being part of the pay 'offer' open for negotiation. It's a flat rate cost of living payment for all CS and outside of any pay rises on the table.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Something nearer 5% seems about right, good luck with the rest.