• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strike!

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Don’t quite know what you mean by Shell stopping research in the north sea. My daughter who is a north sea oil analyst tells me they haven’t made a decision yet. They are starting two fields soon (penguin east and west) and looking to open up another next year.

There’s a LOT more since then, but you can put your hand in your pocket and pay for them!!
Mutty won’t understand what the loss of £Bn will mean to U.K. taxes, and how his may have to go up to make up the difference, so his staff can get paid more.
A horrific cycle that will end when Labour bankrupt the country, and military pensions are cut. His lot will have us in a worse place that Greece was.
Why not stop the gold plated CS pension, go DC and have more pay?

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Thing is Mutty @muttywhitedog , I get it that people feel the need to strike and it is a hard fought for right, born of the industrial wrongs of the past.

As for your day off, I'm disappointed you didn't make it to the Spoons 😅
Of course, there will be wrongs (as we perceive them) delivered the first time around - and the Unions were a valid reaction to it. To day this year, shoeless emaciated children have been noticeable by their absence, so I should imagine the primary purposes of supporting the workers has changed to trying to eject the current administration and hoping to make a few quid in doing so.

Everyone is 10% behind the drag curve - they'll be a lot more behind it with a 10% pay rise (unless the public are as thick as they perceive) . But hell, God knows if a group of characters understand the greed motive and push for economic destruction, it's Labour, and not the Tories,

Deltaitem

Corporal
Anyway, to get back to MWD's question. Mutty, while you have lost a day's pay as result of withdrawing your labour, know that your sacrifice has been noted (by some at least), feel good that you stood alongside your colleagues, be able to look at your reflection in the mirror and know that you stood by your principles. Know that you picked your side and you stood firm, supporting the most vulnerable in your organisation, that you looked your adversary in the eye and you didn't flinch, and whatever principles or reasons it was that made you join the air force and serve your country for the greater good, those principles and beliefs are the very same ones that motivate and underpin your actions now.
Hell, if the right whingers can load this thread with their absolute bullshit, no reason why we can't either.
Hasta la victoria siempre!

Last edited:

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Anyway, to get back to MWD's question. Mutty, while you have lost a day's pay as result of withdrawing your labour, know that your sacrifice has been noted (by some at least), feel good that you stood alongside your colleagues, be able to look a your reflection in the mirror and know that you stood by your principles. Know that you picked your side and you stood firm, supporting the most vulnerable in your organisation, that you looked your adversary in the eye and you didn't flinch, and whatever principles or reasons it was that made you join the air force and serve your country for the greater good, those principles and beliefs are the very same ones that motivate and underpin your actions now.
Hell, if the right whingers can load this thread with their absolute bullshit, no reason why we can't either.
Hasta la victoria siempre!
Power to the people, Wolfy!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
From what I’ve seen this year, there are three main impacts from the current strikes,

1. People being impacted the most are at the bottom end of society.
2. The Government don’t seem to be moving position.
3. All these strikers seem to be losing more than they’ll gain.

With me not being impacted and not a union member, in an ununionised workplace this just feels like a self harming political vanity project for the main unions, who have little if any relevance outside the public sector (and former public sector industries).

As a son of a miner during the eighties, the only individual who appeared to do well out of the miners strikes was Arthur Scargill

Captain Kirk

Corporal
From what I’ve seen this year, there are three main impacts from the current strikes,

1. People being impacted the most are at the bottom end of society.
2. The Government don’t seem to be moving position.
3. All these strikers seem to be losing more than they’ll gain.

With me not being impacted and not a union member, in an ununionised workplace this just feels like a self harming political vanity project for the main unions, who have little if any relevance outside the public sector (and former public sector industries).

As a son of a miner during the eighties, the only individual who appeared to do well out of the miners strikes was Arthur Scargill
During the strike they may lose a few £1000 in pay, which will filter down into pensions, probably. Come the pay reviews they’ll be offered a bung, but that bung won’t be as much as the money they’ve lost by having their pay stopped.
I’m not a member of a union, and I haven’t had a pay increase, so I get it, I just get that if I don’t go to work I don’t get that holiday I want.
Work in the private sector is lucrative at the moment.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So kids remember when we said we might go to Spain for the family hols this year. Well good news were going to spend a fortnight with granny at Skegness instead.

Deltaitem

Corporal
So kids remember when we said we might go to Spain for the family hols this year. Well good news were going to spend a fortnight with granny at Skegness instead.
That's what happens when staff get treated like crap for years. Sooner or later they realise they have to make a stand. Blame thirteen years of tory underfunding that has brought them to this.
On the plus side, think of the carbon you'll have saved by not getting on the plane. Greta will thank you!
See, everyone's a winner! (y)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Guessing that those that need to travel will pay for an express service and those that dont might want to hold off until the action is over.

Still dont understand why this hasnt been farmed out to the private sector.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Good luck, Mutty. Hasta la Victoria Siempre!

Thanks. However my grade are not involved. Its targeted at those of certain grades who examine and produce, and salaries will be paid by the union for those who strike. There's quite a stampede to sign up for membership at the moment!

In answer to Busby's point, much of it has been handed over to the private sector. Teleperformance have handled customer calls for a few years now - last year customers either couldnt get through, or got through and were given incorrect information, which was a big factor in the backlogs.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
5 weeks off striking? Have I understood that correctly?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
5 weeks off striking? Have I understood that correctly?
Thats how I read it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64981979

"More than 1,000 Passport Office workers will go on strike for five weeks over a dispute about jobs, pay and conditions, unions say.......members of the union will take part in the action from 3 April to 5 May."

Saint Greta, Extinction rebellion, Just stop Oil, the greens etc, will all be delighted at the possible reduced flying emissions by not going to foreign climes for your holibobs this summer.

Deltaitem

Corporal
Thats how I read it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64981979

"More than 1,000 Passport Office workers will go on strike for five weeks over a dispute about jobs, pay and conditions, unions say.......members of the union will take part in the action from 3 April to 5 May."

Saint Greta, Extinction rebellion, Just stop Oil, the greens etc, will all be delighted at the possible reduced flying emissions by not going to foreign climes for your holibobs this summer.
Although to be fair, most places require you to have at least six months on your passport to clear customs, so if you're this close to your passport expiring without having already renewed, it's very poor admin for leaving it to the last minute and you don't deserve to go anyway. Call me harsh if you will.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
There has been a large amount of applications at the start of the year, brought about by the fee increase in February. That said, 5 weeks' of intakes equates to over 1m, and the way its looking, there will be less than 20% of the usual examiner headcount that dont end up striking.

Deltaitem

Corporal
Unions don't typically cover wages. Going on strike typically results in hardship for those taking the action. If they're not at work, they don't get paid, and this can also impact on their pensions as well. It's a very unusual union that will cover your wages. In fact, I don't know of any in the UK that would do that. If you know of one, please let me know and I'll join them.