• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sparky hand badges for Assimilurated DFs?

fatbaldchief

Corporal
A serious question techie brethren.

When Leckys get assimilated to A Tech Av does that then mean that they can wear the Comms sparky hand badges?

D

DrunkenMonki

Good question: I've not seen any at Waddo with them on, but that doesnt mean there arnt some i don't know about. Would they want to?

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Of course the question is - Why would you want to?

Because my Assimilurateered Leckys are proud upstanding members of this ship that is the Glorius Mother Air Force and would take great pride in wearing the massive status symbol that is the Sparky Hand Badge. So there.
:pDT_Xtremez_35:

D

DrunkenMonki

Its a TCO badge though, surely? I'm a fairy incidently!

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Its a TCO badge though, surely? I'm a fairy incidently!

I was an Insty then Flt Systems then Avionics and I always understood it that you got it for the Comms bit of the first Avionic assimilation. So ergo DFs should get it for this round of assimilation. Air Comms have always had it. Maybe a shiny uniform type knows?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sparky badge

Sparky badge

From a humble rigger.
May I suggest that for cross trained leckies who are now AV's it should be like the Brownies if you can do the job you get the badge.
Whether you have earned the right, gained the experience, understand the history of it all etc. is a different matter to be decided between AV's and Leckies and a discussion I shall stay well away from.

D

DrunkenMonki

Always thought Riggers should have got a hand with a spanner when fully up to speed!:pDT_Xtremez_31:

I've always been straight fairy, but was led to believe the badge was originally an air comms badge, became TCO as they too worked comms, then fairies as we absorbed comms, now leckies as they've joined in too. Whos next? We'll all be wearing the darn thing soon!

D

Don Quixote

If the leckies are to wear the fairy badge, shouldn't the fairies be taking up dog sh**ging?

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber

I was an Insty then Flt Systems then Avionics and I always understood it that you got it for the Comms bit of the first Avionic assimilation. So ergo DFs should get it for this round of assimilation. Air Comms have always had it. Maybe a shiny uniform type knows?

I remember the old Nav Insty's when I first started on the Big V at Waddo back in the late 60's - early 70's. Because they did not have the "lightning badge" like the radar and comms blokes, us riggers used to call them Fairy's without the Ouful Dust. I even remember when Inst's did oxygen before the riggers and as they were the only trade that did'nt have an A/F or a B/F they used to help us with the Rapid Air charging.

Happy times.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Now that the "two" trades are assimilated, can everyone stop referring to Leckies and Fairies. They are one trade now called Avionics.

My a**e.

Everyone knows that an aircraft system is easy to work if you change boxes for a living and those dull f^^k fairies can't handle the fact that real wiggly amps exist.

Point, I can rewire a house, let alone a plane and still tune the radio to what music I want to listen to. A fairy will not be able to rewire a house but will be able to tune his radio in accordance with sunspots, radio stockholm, some other lobing problem and still not get his music piped through, then he might change his Gas Central heating boiler cos it might do the trick.

Lets face it, Fairies should have been remustered to Leckies, not the other way round.
#

As for badges, Stuff em. They are for kids and lego club members.

Am I talking Bo!!ocks?

Yes I am. I am p!ssed.

TW

D

DrunkenMonki

I need my drinking problem to get a bit worse before i get my Leckie X annotation! Plus at the moment i'm too social with other trades, need to get into the 'clique' and snub everyone else! Oh, need to master the chock as a tool of choice for PDU's too.

M

monobrow

he he, Chocking PDU's is an art form!

Hows this for getting the old assimilation done..........

I work in the LITS cell, have done for over a year (escape attempts not worked so far) and whilst I was in the sandbox, I was "briefed" on all the finer points of the IP package.

Cue 1 x500 for someone who's bearly touched a jet for over a year!

Just waiting for the lecky Q course now!!!!

D

DrunkenMonki

I escaped the LITS cell, and got posted into a job that has even less contact with Jets! If i do this job for the prescribed 7 years, i'll do my X annotation in 2013. I did the assim course 2 years ago, so that'll be 9 years to assim me! Think i need another 4 weeks on the p!ss at Tossford again.

Line35

LAC
The Sparks Badge

The Sparks Badge

Apparently, when queried the Trade Sponsor came up with the following answer:

The wearing of the ‘Sparks’ badge by TGs1/2 was a perennial question and often came up during AFBLT presentations. The use of the ‘Badge Qualification, Telecommunication Personnel’ (8455-99-1355614) like most things military, has its roots in the historical past. It was awarded to both air and ground engineering personnel in the communications trades.

With the amalgamation of the various aircraft ‘L Fitt’ trades in the ‘70s and ‘80s (L Fitt FS, L Fitt AR, L Fitt AC etc), communications became only a small part of the TG2 Avionics Trade. Under the new multi-skilling strategy where the Air Electrical trades are combined with the Avionics trade to become A Tech Av, the communications aspect becomes even more diluted.

Whilst in April 2005 the RAF Dress Policy Committee ratified the issue of the 'Sparks Badge' to TG4 personnel, The Air Engineering Trades Sponsor believes the new TG1 feel secure enough not to have a need to wear a trade badge. The Heavy aircraft trades do not have a ‘spanner’ badge to wear, the admin trade do not wear a pen badge, it provides no added value and we see no need for one for the new Av trade.

It has been the intention of the Trade Sponsor that for the Aircraft Trades, the old ‘Sparks’ badge should die out with the demise of the legacy TG1/2 Avionics Eng Tech Av. Cosford do not issue the badge for Assim courses, and will not be issuing the badge for graduates from the Av FT course due to start in 2007.

1. Personnel from TG1/2 who are currently entitled to wear the ‘Sparks’ badge (Eng Tech Av and that ilk) will retain that right.

2. Assimilated TG1/2 ex – Air Elect tradesmen will not be entitled to the badge.

3. The new TG1 multi-skilled trade, A Tech Av FT graduates will not be issued with the badge.

4. The badge for TG1, is obsolescent, and will disappear with the diminishing population of legacy Av tradesmen.

Well thats that then!

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Line35 thanks for your superb answer and a shining example of what the Goat does best.
Answers for stupid questions that my chaps ask me so I don't have to do real research.
Consider yourself awarded the 'FBC Seal of Approval'. :pDT_Xtremez_30: