• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledging

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not the sport of wooshing down snowy hills...

Being a keen player and now mostly follower of cricket I am dismayed by this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25211487

"England captain Alastair Cook admitted player behaviour went "over the top" in the first Ashes Test and has urged both sides to improve their conduct."

This needs to be nipped in the bud now...I don't want kids who are at the start of their cricketing careers starting to act like Wayne Rooney or John Terry...The game is not only a sport but an example of discipline, honesty (mostly) and deportment in my opinion...it's pretty much alone now in it's stance of fair play.

For me it's ruining the Ashes...opinons?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Well, I can't even understand why the Ashes are being played for again only months after they were last contested. Takes the whole shine off winning the series and basking in the joy of victory if no sooner the victory champagne has gone flat you're playing for them again.

TrickyTree

Sergeant
Well, I can't even understand why the Ashes are being played for again only months after they were last contested. Takes the whole shine off winning the series and basking in the joy of victory if no sooner the victory champagne has gone flat you're playing for them again.

They're being played for again because the ICC Future Tours programme is being re-aligned to cater for the ICC World Test Championship that is going to replace the ICC Champions Trophy. The next home Ashes series is 2015 after which it'll settle down and resume it's twice-yearly home and away cycle ie the next series will be 2016-17 in Australia, then 2019 in England and so on.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've played a bit of very low end cricket (an ex-regular No. 11 for the local pub) and am now an avid watcher of any standard. I do have some sympathy with what Vim is saying about sledging but perhaps not entirely in agreement. Have a read of this ​I think it sums it up quite nicely.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've played a bit of very low end cricket (an ex-regular No. 11 for the local pub) and am now an avid watcher of any standard. I do have some sympathy with what Vim is saying about sledging but perhaps not entirely in agreement. Have a read of this ​I think it sums it up quite nicely.

An interesting read and exactly written by a person I think is taking the game in the wrong direction.

I played at junior county and senior club level when only a youth so open to a lot of 'chat' from older blokes trying to spook me (and it worked some of the time), I opened the batting for every station I played at and I've played all over the country and on occaision abroad...And I've never threatened to break somebodies arm nor used the F word except to my own team mates and then normally in banter/jest.

We generally fell back onto this outdated mode of play called 'being a good bowler' or a 'confident and able batsmen' to win a game and not the threat of injuring someone...I know...what were we thinking of?

Keep the game as pure as we can as when kids turn up at town and vilage games at u12/14/16 et al level and start to say 'I'm going to smash your face in f*cker' as the batsmen walk out then the game has lost it's attraction to me and it's lost it's purpose as a vehicle to teaching sprotsmanship, teamwork and a whole bunch of other stuff we don't need to lose sight of,..

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The game is not only a sport but an example of discipline, honesty (mostly) and deportment in my opinion...it's pretty much alone now in it's stance of fair play...opinons?

As some one who played league cricket in the north of england on both sides of the pennies and station cricket for various places over the years I have never sledged anyone whilst bowling or batting though would pass on a well bowled to the guy who shaved one past my off stump. I may have been "surprised" by the odd umpiring decision down the years but never a mumur back to the white coated gentleman with the rasied digit. From a young age I was taught to walk. When you know you have hit it you walk anything else is cheating and you don't cheat at cricket. I have had banter with fielders and the slip cordon but nothing untoward save once. Oddly enough against Waddo in the pre-helmet mid 80's the keeper was a skinny little mouthy so and so who suggested that by getting out quickly it might save me from getting hurt as the bowler was to fast and to skilled for my meagre talents and pain and discomfort was a certainty if I hung around. To be honest he was quick, by my standards, and bowled his fair share of the short stuff but the sun was shining it was Wednesday afternoon so I tried to stay as long as possible. 15 years later a conversation about cricket in general and sledging in particular in the mess bar with a tubby little golfing buddy and good friend it transpired he was that keeper all those years before. He said it wasn't personal he just trash talked every body who came out to bat. Be we are learners at sledging it was invented by the Aussie offspring of convicts and they are still the most practised in the dark art. Sledging it's just not British

fileeth

Corporal
Sledging is certainly a fine art if it is done correctly and in the spirit of the game.
Its all about getting in the oppositions head and disrupting them.
I believe there is an unwritten rule that says family, spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends? etc.. are off limits and that is why I think Warner's public comment about Trott overstepped the mark.

Broad 'not walking' can be put down to the Aussie mentality and the precedent they set doing the same years earlier and 'playing' to the umpire - perhaps we need remind the Aussies you reap what you sow as they have stood their ground until told to walk over the years.

Two of my favourite classic English sledging replies can be quoted as:

Michael Atherton, during his first tour of Australia, stood his ground during a vociferous appeal for a catch behind. At the end of the over, wicketkeeper Ian Healy walked by, calling Atherton a "----ing cheat". Very politely, Atherton shot back: "When in Rome, dear boy."

James Ormond had just come out to bat on an ashes tour and was greeted by Mark Waugh"---- me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England." Quick as you like, Ormond said: "Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."

The big, bristly 'Merv the Swerv' Hughes has to be the champion of the whole subtle art! - just my opinion mind.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
" Sledging is certainly a fine art if it is done correctly and in the spirit of the game. "

How very true. The sad part is that it takes a good while to learn this subtle skill of the "disturbing comment", and possibly longer to learn to respond in [good] kind.

" Sledging is certainly a fine art if it is done correctly and in the spirit of the game. "

How very true. The sad part is that it takes a good while to learn this subtle skill of the "disturbing comment", and possibly longer to learn to respond in [good] kind.

POI liked the humorous ones, a shayne warne one being a favourite, england number 11 has a big heave ho at one of his bowls and totally misses.

" hey tuffers I am building a new f...in village idiot scarecrow can I have your brain you won't miss it !

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I heard one about Rodney Marsh & Ian Botham during an Ashes test.

Marsh to Botham - How is your wife and my kids?

Botham in reply - The wife is fine but the kids are still retarded.