• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sjar. Third RO and being cat 'A'

Just a quick one, if you are lucky enough to get a 3rd RO on your Sjar, does this mean you are automaticly a grade 'A' candidate for promotion so will be read by the promotion board?
If this is true, how would that work for smaller promotion boards i.e. 300 in field but the prediction for promotion is 5 so the grade 'A' quota is 20(?) however 25 people in trade had a 3rd RO!! Does this mean without a 3rd RO you have no chance of being read by the selection board????

Thank you for your time

Craig855s

Sergeant
No it does not, if you are given an "exceptional" grade by your first and second ROs the third RO puts his bit in, but if the pre-board read the SJAR and think it reads like **** they'll still grade you as a B cat. However if its well written with all good stuff the board people like then you really must be the dogs balls and you'll get the A cat. Maybe attend an SJAR for subjects workshop so you know what they look for. If your objectives don't sell you well to the board then all the praise in the world from your ROs aint gonna help you

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If the 3rd RO is doing it like my OC Wg is, then you'd be very very unlucky not to be an A Grade. He is insisting that appraisals for all personnel he will be expected to endorse at 3RO level are sent to him in word format before they are put onto JPA through the respective Sqn Cdrs so that he can tell the Sqn Cdrs to either present it as it is on JPA, amend it and re-present, or change the grades because he wont support it.

What I have noticed is that there are a lot less appraisals going to 3RO, but those that are come very high in the PSLs.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've never needed a third RO to get anybody promoted.

ERT

Corporal
1st & 2nd RO is enough.

Just ensure that you give your 1st RO the brag sheet that is full of information. Keep a running log throughout the year of what you have done etc, otherwise you will forget.

Dont let your SJAR read..."Airman X comes to work, does his job to a satisfactory standard, then goes home.."

If you want to see how your SJAR is against others in the section, ask to compare over a coffee..

Noidea

SAC
And dont forget to fill out your objectives with meaningful targets that are agreed with the your 1RO - it gives them something to write against and also something for the Prom board to compare against.

Having been on a redundancy board and several prom boards, the vast majority of 3ro narratives do very little to enhance the report so be wary when you are told you will get a 3RO narrative.

From my experience I have often noted that those who will get high prom grades and hence a 3RO narrative are fairly easy to identify by the first third of the RP - thereafter a good chain of command will then manage the individual accordingly and ensure they have exposure at the 3ro level. So if you have just been told, at the end of the RP, that you will have a 3RO narrative and have rarely seen your 3RO be a bit wary.

Having been on a redundancy board and several prom boards, the vast majority of 3ro narratives do very little to enhance the report so be wary when you are told you will get a 3RO narrative
I agree, having done a PSB myself, it can be a poisened chalice getting a 3rd RO. If he does not add anything to the report, or even seem at odds with the 1st/2nd RO it can actually be detrimental. Written well, however, it will of course, give you a very good chance of coming high on the board.