• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should we trust the training of phase 1 recruits to SACs

unruly1986

Sergeant
And? We both know there are examples across every TG of Cpls who should never have been picked up when they did or SACs who should have been picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats down to the RO, not the individual. I'm of the opinion that few people are promoted accidentally. At least 3 years of SJARs, filtered at the pre boarding stage then scrutinised by the board?

If an individual deserves promotion then they will get it. If they are receiving poop SJARs then they should have the nouse to challenge their 1RO and 2RO if needed. It's all about evidence.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
How about his for a radical idea...

JNCO's with say three years under their belts can go and be RTS instructors, with guaranteed promotion to Sgt after 3 years in post?

I bet you would start getting some volunteers then... what's the JNCO instructor turnover rate per year at RTS?

What you get at the end is a Sgt who is all spammed up on al the good service stuff.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

JNCO's with say three years under their belts can go and be RTS instructors, with guaranteed promotion to Sgt after 3 years in post?

I bet you would start getting some volunteers then... what's the JNCO instructor turnover rate per year at RTS?

What you get at the end is a Sgt who is all spammed up on al the good service stuff.

Wouldn't work for techy...you'd end up with a SNCO with skill fade and supervision duties.

rocket scientist

Sergeant

I'm pretty sure it works for the Army in several different hard to fill roles, not just recruitment.

I've even spoke to someone at Benbecular that suggested the location was a "tick in the box" for promotion within the ground radar trades there.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Wouldn't work for techy...you'd end up with a SNCO with skill fade and supervision duties.

You get lots of techies (and weapon handlers) working out of trade in AFCO's, on MRT's etc.. so I can't see Skill fade being much of a factor tbh...at SNCO level - how much spannering is actually done? Look at Sausage2 - he hasn't touched an actual tool in years.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
You get lots of techies (and weapon handlers) working out of trade in AFCO's, on MRT's etc.. so I can't see Skill fade being much of a factor tbh...at SNCO level - how much spannering is actually done? Look at Sausage2 - he hasn't touched an actual tool in years.

Ignoring the S2 reference agree with the above, as people become managers roles that develop their leadership and management skills like these should be seen as a positive rather than a negative.

On another point we also need to look across at our fellow Services, we already have plenty of roles where the RAF will have a junior rank carrying out a role that only a more senior rank can do in the others, more fool ourselves as the guys doing the work won't be getting the right reward and probably goes some way to explain why the RAFs promotion is a lot harder and slower than the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Ignoring the S2 reference agree with the above, as people become managers roles that develop their leadership and management skills like these should be seen as a positive rather than a negative.

On another point we also need to look across at our fellow Services, we already have plenty of roles where the RAF will have a junior rank carrying out a role that only a more senior rank can do in the others, more fool ourselves as the guys doing the work won't be getting the right reward and probably goes some way to explain why the RAFs promotion is a lot harder and slower than the other two.

A good point! Here's a good example: my job on Herrick, 1st tour Cpl. Army equivalent, Sgt/SSgt - same office, same job. Other NATO forces (again, same office, same job) minimum SSgt, Some WO, but mostly OF2.

Our Jnr Ranks are just too good....

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
A good point! Here's a good example: my job on Herrick, 1st tour Cpl. Army equivalent, Sgt/SSgt - same office, same job. Other NATO forces (again, same office, same job) minimum SSgt, Some WO, but mostly OF2.

Our Jnr Ranks are just too good....

An even better example would be from my Herrick tour. I had the task of booking VIP accommodation for a visiting A/Cdre so bimbled into the Army office where such things were done. The office only contained a Lt Col,so I apologised and turned to leave. He asked me what I wanted and after I'd told him he advised me the booking of VIPs was his job. A task we'd give to an SAC was being done by a senior officer.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I have to admit that when you compare some of our SACs to even the Army's SNCO cadre they can easily run rings around them. I've always put that down to our people being taught to think for themselves than be regimented in their thinking like their Army counterparts.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
You only have to look at the airframe repair teams RSS/71(IR)Sqn v MASU. The do the same job, cat 3 repairs. Only difference is the RAF do all fixed wing and navy do all the rotary. The min rank to do the work in the RAF is SAC(T). The navy is a PO!

Can't work out which service are the mugs.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
You only have to look at the airframe repair teams RSS/71(IR)Sqn v MASU. The do the same job, cat 3 repairs. Only difference is the RAF do all fixed wing and navy do all the rotary. The min rank to do the work in the RAF is SAC(T). The navy is a PO!

Can't work out which service are the mugs.

So what is it, the SAC(T) is overqualified for his rank or the PO is over ranked for his qualification?

briggfairy

Sergeant
from my experience it tends to be that the SAC(T) is under ranked (and therefore underpaid) for the job that they do, hence why so many walk out the door and into decent jobs in civvy stasse

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If the RTS gig in s so sh1t due to so many long hours and working weekends why not have two shifts? One shift does Mon-Thursday and other Fri-Sun. Change around during natural breaks or sort it out amongst yourselves.

Problem solved...shall we crack on?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It'll all work itself out in Cranwell, when the staff can be shared across P1 training and the kids don't have to march around so much.

if the rts gig in s so sh1t due to so many long hours and working weekends why not have two shifts? One shift does mon-thursday and other fri-sun. Change around during natural breaks or sort it out amongst yourselves.

qft - qft - qft

If the RTS gig in s so sh1t due to so many long hours and working weekends why not have two shifts? One shift does Mon-Thursday and other Fri-Sun. Change around during natural breaks or sort it out amongst yourselves.

Interesting idea but if they can't get enough volunteers now how would they get went to increase manpower to cover both shifts?.

The move to Cranwell will probably help given the large amount of people in RAF Lincolnshire already. Gets rid of the hurdle of moving. Would make it more appealing to me anyway and I don't live there.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Interesting questions. I wonder which parade ground they'll pass out on, for instance?