• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the Drink Drive limit be Lowered?

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Dear all

just read this article wrt the argument for lowering the Drink Drive Limit.

Do you agree?

From seeing some of the destruction in causes I would be happy with zero.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
I’m am happy with it low, Scotland has the right approach. It will never be set to zero as alcohol will naturally occur in the body. Some diabetics will have a natural level that is registrable on an intoximeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Think it’s about right where it is, pint n half for most people.

Think most accidents, of a fatal nature would be those well over the limit, and most people get caught the morning after, normally minor bump or a random check.

Think the stats need a bit of work to justify a change. It’s a bit like saying most accidents are caused by people driving over 30 mph so we’ll make the speed limit 20 mph everywhere. Yep you’ll cut down accidents but the means doesn’t justify the end.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Just a few years ago Scotland lowered their limits.

The current limits are:

• 22 mcg of alcohol in 100 ml of breath (the 'breath limit')
  • 50 mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood (the 'blood limit')
  • 67 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of urine (the 'urine limit')

This is the test ...

briggfairy

Sergeant
Not wanting to Hijack this thread but with the advent of self driving cars on the horizon will there be a revised limit for being in charge of one of these? I live in a rural area and I know that people frequently drive back from the pub after a few too many, would automated vehicles remove the risk in this situation?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm with Busby. Consider the European situation where the limits are tiny. You simply end up with no one policing it because that's all you as a copper are going to be processing - prosecuting drivers with minuscule amounts of alcohol in the system.

The secondary effect of this is, everyone goes on the ****, because they know no one will stop them.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
When i'm out (not very often) i enjoy a pint or a glass of wine. I'm an adult and i can drink responsibly (lel) and because i'm an adult i don't fancy a coke or J20, or Appletini or whatever the cool kids are drinking.

And because i live in the arse end of nowhere, everywhere is a drive or taxi - so if they reduced the limit to zero, i'd be thinking twice about if i could actually be arsed to go out.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think we should javelin a zero tolerance towards drink and drug driving. Attitudes have changed towards drink driving. Smoking as been eradicated in public places. Next one is to stop drinking driving.

Living in a big city the most I pay for a taxi is £15 after midnight and a tenner before. 3 or 4 of you in a cab and it's buttons

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I think we should javelin a zero tolerance towards drink and drug driving. Attitudes have changed towards drink driving. Smoking as been eradicated in public places. Next one is to stop drinking driving.

Living in a big city the most I pay for a taxi is £15 after midnight and a tenner before. 3 or 4 of you in a cab and it's buttons

No everyone lives in a city, and have you ever driven the next morning

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I don't want to take a taxi 3/4 of a mile to a country pub for a pint after doing the shopping.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Many many years ago. Realised I was putting other lives at risk I decided if I was at work early next day then I wouldn't drink.
No everyone lives in a city, and have you ever driven the next morning

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

Along an unlit country road?

Buttons? For me a meal out is me, Mrs and 2 young kids - so £15 divided by me, is £15.

We all live in different circumstances and so i would be happy with the alcohol limit to remain as is.
I accept that. Where I live
there are too many cop cars on the roads.

dctyke

Corporal
Where I live the upper class shooting fraternity have started their shooting season. Champagne breakfast, a tot or two after every driven shoot. They drive between the stands n a convoy of their new range rovers. Beer and midday meal, afternoon drives again with more tots then convoy back to the accommodation. Costs thousands a day but it's guaranteed the police will be nowhere near.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I absolutely totally need my licence to work and fund all my disgusting and depraved habits so I made a decision to always get Mrs F to drive if there was a hint of booze-cake in the offing many years ago.

I think even at zero you'll still get the chancers who pose the most risk after going straight to the pub at 3 on a Friday and driving the van home et al.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Out of interest has a lower limit resulted in less deaths in Scotland?

I very much doubt it, though can't find any stats (as per normal with the SNP running things). Most of your balloons who are going to drink and drive are probably well over. The idiot MacAskill (who also released the Lockerbie bomber) wanted it at zero. No grannies sherry cake etc... Off Topic There are still far too many people dying on the A9 & A90 despite their obsession with average speed cameras......

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Out of interest has a lower limit resulted in less deaths in Scotland?

It’s probably hard to pin it down, road safety has been improving since the 60s, seat belts, air bags, much safer cars, traffic calming, speed cameras and over crowded roads would be the main reasons.

Now that the stats are low the ONS suggest that the largest influencer on the number of road traffic incidents is the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk