• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shortage of everything

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
According to the Daily Wail (and others) there’s only a thimble of petrol to be had between lands end and John O’Groats. Waitrose is down to its last avocado and budget supermarkets are running out of beans and bog roll. It’s a full-on crisis, one which we will be lucky to survive. Meanwhile back in the real world. I filled up with fuel last week no queues, did my supermarket weekly shop today got everything on the list no obvious gaps on the shelves. So in your area is there really a shortage or is the media making a mountain out of a molehill?

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Sadly, there's plenty of foodstuff and extra items available in the local shops and nearby megastore, meaning Mrs L&T has no issues in spending...

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Whetherspoons Food Menu is pretty rubbish at the moment, Sainsburys stock levels seem to be a lot worse than the other supermarkets and the local Dominos closed early the other Saturday night.

Luckily there’s plenty of other places that have stuff so no need to panic

fourteen2two

Corporal
No shortage of bullshit and w@ nkers writing it in the media -or muppets believing it.
Wife went to supermarkets and said pretty much OK. All fuel stations round us seem fine no more busy than usual .Our motors have plenty as we don't use them much being retired.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Funnily enough a good 24-48hr fast would do the world of good for some of the individuals lapping up the shite spouted by most of the so called 'Journalists'.......🤔

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Saturday shopping at Tesco - a few gaps on the shelves but nothing to make me go elsewhere and panic buy. Driven 140 miles tonight - only saw 1 closed filling station and that may be having work done anyway. All the others apparently open with no queues (but prices between 133 (Sainsbury's where I stopped just off A11) and 146 for E10. Even 1 that was on the news a couple of weeks back as having sold out was apparently fine around 2130....

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
On the wild west coast of Cumbria fuel is a bit pricey, (no change there), but the food stores, Morrisons, Tesco et al have sufficient stuff and more importantly so do Screwfix and Toolstation so it seems there's much ado about nowt

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Driver shortage not as bad up north, lots of good old British workers.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Here in swampland, petrol back to normal and everything else normal and back to sha££ing my sister, come to think of it....I didn't stop.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The only shortage around here is a display of common sense by the school-run mummies..... oh! and plod.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Listening to the news in the car.

"there's a log jam of too much stuff in the ports",

next breath "you'd better get ordering now so you get stuff for Christmas"

Won't panic buying now make the log jam worse? Maybe the news should have said, "don't order anything not necessary for a couple of months to allow the supply chain to catch up with itself and clear the backlog" would be better.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
And Felixstowe is supposedly log-jammed because of the HGV driver shortage, but no-one's mentioned that most of the boxes that come through Felixstowe actually leave there by train (iirc, over a dozen per day...).... Each train is a lot of lorries' worth

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The press complain of the environmental impacts of over consumption, then complain that goods are blocked reducing over consumption.

We’re all hypocrites, I’ve just ordered a load of cheap plastic tat to dress up the outside of the house for Halloween, seemed to be plenty available for next day delivery.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This is an opportunity for a new marketting ploy. Take 'Quality Street' as an example. They have announced a few days ago that they are concerned about supplies for Christmas, so there might be a shortage. In my local supermarket there was a few palette loads stacked right as you walked in that whittled down to nothing over the weekend in an unnaturally fast manner. Was there going to be a shortage of Quality Street? Did this shortage really matter? Before that article I would have said no....but now they've started a rush on their product and the tills are ringing early for it.

In a less prominent article I read that Felixstowe is catching up with its backlog of containers, some containing goods for the Xmas period. Smashed over some of the papers and TV news is 'Buy early to save Xmas as toys will be in short supply'. You can bet you fat ass that online and in-shop sales of toys will go berserk now as Sheeple rush to buy their kids a grands worth of toys each because that's what Xmas is all about thus creating a supply chain black hole again.

We are literally being played like puppets by the media and retail to improve early sales, which creates empty shelves and, subsequently, price hikes. The outcome of this will hurt us as borrowers and consumers, as inflation over Xmas sails through 5%

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This is an opportunity for a new marketting ploy. Take 'Quality Street' as an example. They have announced a few days ago that they are concerned about supplies for Christmas, so there might be a shortage. In my local supermarket there was a few palette loads stacked right as you walked in that whittled down to nothing over the weekend in an unnaturally fast manner.
Exactly the same ploy used in my local supermarket pallet full of quality street and yes the stack was whittled down remarkably quickly. Ker ching went the tills

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Went into a Tool Station to get some M12 threaded bar and some nuts for it. Said Tool Station had no nuts of any sort for that bar size. Nor any other size for that matter. Computer said no for any other local store. I was talking to a white van man next to me. He would know what he is talking about. He said it was almost getting impossible to plan a job as lead times for stuff to do a task were going through the roof. The stuff to do actual work is in short supply.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
And this morning the unions flex their muscles, sensing an opportunity to deliver a blow at the expense of a population still in the midst of a pandemic and whom are looking for a bit of cheer as Xmas approaches….better pay and conditions for drivers or they strike and shelves will be bare.

I think if they let this scenario play out without striking the pay will come up by itself…if something is in short supply pay naturally goes up to attract more in. The conditions is something else and may take a while to upgrade…it’s not as it builders (who could improve or build nicer lorry parks) don’t have diaries full until we’ll into 2022 already.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
And the government extend cabotage to foreign hauliers, much better idea than the limited visa malarky, this will hopefully prompt the RHA members (the employers) and the Unions (the employees) to realise that the barrel isn't quite ready for the gen pop to be rolled over.

Bump the money up a little, improve conditions and facilities and get some training schemes in place, this should impact on some low margin businesses, reducing demand a little whilst increasing supply, then as things return to normal by next summer the visas and cabotage can be rolled back.

A rebalancing is okay, an inflationary spiral less so.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
And the government extend cabotage to foreign hauliers, much better idea than the limited visa malarky, this will hopefully prompt the RHA members (the employers) and the Unions (the employees) to realise that the barrel isn't quite ready for the gen pop to be rolled over.

Bump the money up a little, improve conditions and facilities and get some training schemes in place, this should impact on some low margin businesses, reducing demand a little whilst increasing supply, then as things return to normal by next summer the visas and cabotage can be rolled back.

A rebalancing is okay, an inflationary spiral less so.
Inflation is going to go mental you will find. Welcome back to the 70s and 80s. You an ecomonist? No?