• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SGT to FS board

8 & 9 notified. Negotiations with the desk aren't going well.

Negotiate?
Here is your 'Crown', your off too........., if you don't like it then let's have a coffee and a doughnut and we can chat about it.!!!!
If you don't like it then turn down the posting? When did promotion become a 'Negotiation' point. Yes you are being promoted against your peers and the board think you deserve it......but, the Service has a requirement to fill a post and you have been promoted to fill that requirement. Isn't that a Service need......

Rant over....

The choice from the desk, should be 'do you want promotion'? Yes or No. Yes then take the slot that is being offered, if you refuse the slot then refuse the promotion.....

IMHO, think the desks are probably carrying out some sort of 'Career Management' for the current FS's who are in post (if they haven't already PVR'd) to move around, but it really should be down to a simple fill the need and move on, if you have managed to reach FS then you should be able to manage yourself and not leave it to the overworked manning desk!

Hopefully the the guys and girls currently on the list past the prediction quota will be in with a shout, still think past 20 this year but that is a guess.....

Any names?

Any names?

I was after some names, to see if any old muckers had been picked up, but thanks for Unit numbers. To the person who asked which trade board I was after.........as I started the question in the 'Stackers' forum i thought that would have been plainly obvious, but due to the number of Techie replies maybe it wasn't!

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
IMHO, think the desks are probably carrying out some sort of 'Career Management' for the current FS's who are in post (if they haven't already PVR'd) to move around, but it really should be down to a simple fill the need and move on, if you have managed to reach FS then you should be able to manage yourself and not leave it to the overworked manning desk!.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Immediates all sorted now. Trickle feed the rest.

Some cushy little posts still available too. Sometimes it's better not to be an immediate.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Nothing more seams to be hitting the street at the moment.

Sat at number 8 with 9 and 10 waiting.

has any goaters heard of anything else.........

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
The latest rumour I have heard is that No 9 is OOA and won't get offered until their return in September. Then they can carry on with the rest after that.

Robby

Corporal
Crazy way forward!

Crazy way forward!

The latest rumour I have heard is that No 9 is OOA and won't get offered until their return in September. Then they can carry on with the rest after that.

I hear what your saying Norman but that is a crazy way forward, are we going to stop promotion boards just because a PSL nominated individual is OOA! With 6 month OOA's we will never get a board completed if No. 10 deploys in August!
In the past they have promoted individuals while OOA and the individuals have picked up and been posted on their return. With the holes appearing across the trade we need to fill gaps as soon as possible!

Seems like some things don't change on the negotiation front, I was one of only three serving fs that could do a particular job, that trapped all three of us in a post for four years to deploy world wide for months on end with not much more than an hours notice. We did not mind doing it, but the three of us were told we would get re toured in the same post at another unit, no negotiation, no nothing !

Needless to say, once that was confirmed we all submitted PVR,s and left within 3 months, all three of us.

but from a negotiating point of there's no negotiating, we were all told we would be warrant officers in the next 6 months, we could name an area we wanted to be in and would do there best to give it us, all three of us left and have significantly better paid jobs in the civil aviation industry ( twice as much ) and have not really looked back.

i called a halt to sqdn leaders and wing commanders asking questions of how do we do this ? Three months after I left, unless they wanted to pay me a significant consultancy fee of course !

Would have loved to have got to the top of the trade I was in but not at any cost, seems that's a hard thing for personnel management to get into there minds, as effectively past 22 years I was paying a half of my wage in unclaimed pension !
And a job becomes to be not the most over arching thing in your life.

it must have taken the raf at least 18 months to two years to recover from that, it would have taken them that long to train replacements.

Last edited:

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
I hear what your saying Norman but that is a crazy way forward, are we going to stop promotion boards just because a PSL nominated individual is OOA! With 6 month OOA's we will never get a board completed if No. 10 deploys in August!
In the past they have promoted individuals while OOA and the individuals have picked up and been posted on their return. With the holes appearing across the trade we need to fill gaps as soon as possible!

I concur. I assume that he has an e-mail account OOA?
The only thing I can imagine is that his answer to his offer is part of some complicated FS multi move that Manning has planned.

The Nip

LAC

Robby, serious question and not having a go, at which rank should 'gaps" be held? There are fewer people going at the bottom. By moving everyone up at the rate it is happening, who is going to be left to do all the work?

Although promotion is great for any organisation, there is a point when "chiefs" are fed up because there are no "indians" to do the job they have been told to do. They leave through frustration, and the cycle continues.

Robby

Corporal
Sgt to FS Board

Sgt to FS Board

Robby, serious question and not having a go, at which rank should 'gaps" be held? There are fewer people going at the bottom. By moving everyone up at the rate it is happening, who is going to be left to do all the work?

Although promotion is great for any organisation, there is a point when "chiefs" are fed up because there are no "indians" to do the job they have been told to do. They leave through frustration, and the cycle continues.

I agree with 'The Nip' and given the current dire state of the trade gaps need to be managed across the ranks (hence some WO's are being given continuence) but not promoting people because they are OOA helps nobody in addition and only highlights other weaknesses within the trade including:

If a post is being gapped for a period the Unit needs to know for how long so they can try to manage the significant impact this has on SJAR's and day to day business.
Depending on how long the post is being gapped has a significant knock on for those FS's in the trade who get OOA's more often - another knock on to Units and manpower management.
Many Units are struggling to find Sgt's to act up as FS's due to workload and the OOA pressure at all ranks!
These factors make units consider deferment of OOA's in the vain attempt to try and keep the MOB operating within the constantly changing regulatory framework we live in!
We are constantly being told that people are our key asset but delaying notification of promotion does not help anyone, manning know where the gaps are now and in the next few months so why do they need to 'sit' on the board until one individual returns from OOA?

These are just the thoughts from someone who could just possibly have been promoted on this board given the current high PVR rate and would have appreciated a bit more posting notice throughout my career!
My time is up so it will not impact on me but I have seen the strain the loss of a single FS has on a Sqn over 6+ months and the subsequent effort it takes to recover the previous levels.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
If I recall correctly 2 years ago they wanted 5 & used 9. Last year they wanted 12 & used 19. So I reckon they'll go to 15 or 16 this year.

Just been released today the figures for FS to WO board (3/8 - 7/8) they are after 11. Not sure how many immediates.

The knock on effect to the Sgt to FS list is going to be an eye opener. How many will they go over by is now the question for those Sgts waiting....