• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Service Leavers - What did you do for resettlement?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Cheers all.

I've been looking at APMP (Agile Project Management Practitioner) and it appears it's a universally recognised enhancement to Prince2? Hopefully with my degree under my belt I can gain a place on a course.

I mentioned CWA earlier as a way of allowing a potential employer a convenient period of time to assess someone, what's everyone's experiences of this aspect, both from those wanting a job and those assessing?

unruly1986

Sergeant
Cheers all.

I've been looking at APMP (Agile Project Management Practitioner) and it appears it's a universally recognised enhancement to Prince2? Hopefully with my degree under my belt I can gain a place on a course.

I mentioned CWA earlier as a way of allowing a potential employer a convenient period of time to assess someone, what's everyone's experiences of this aspect, both from those wanting a job and those assessing?

APMP has been replaced by APM PMQ (Project Management Qualification).

There are courses run at Shrivenham - I don’t know how often, but you can find the online element on the DLE and then apply to attend the course. The exam is available also.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
In my understanding a stand alone C Cert would only be for signing off the tech log and not aircraft work. Aircraft Engineering Degree, 6 months on aircraft experience and familiarisation course were the requirements in my study literature. 3 years with a type rating for a regular B1. You’re probably right about the cost effectiveness though, but it is something to sell to a future employer while working towards your license.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Max,

I feel your understanding is mostly correct in the procedures used but a little skewed.

A CAT C can’t sign an ATL. They can ONLY sign the Certificate of Release To Service after a Base Maintenance Check...what used to be call a SMI-CRS.

‘Acceptable’ Engineering degree, 12 months practicle experience and the 1st Type must be the full type course. Subsequent Type courses may be Famil courses...or three years as a B1.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
As a Compliance Manager as you are now Rigga, you would never sign off a guy to the minimum EASA baseline to C Cert. Company approvals, the words never said in the Part 147 package. yes the C cert is the Chief in the Ice box in AMF. He doesn't touch the aeroplane. but he needs to know it. usually he will have worked on it as a B1/B2 to actually know it. That is the real world. However you can get a C cert on other types , just by doing a type course for the second and later types. Now a 4/5 week theory course followed by the 2 week practical element. All the time I worked in base maintenance (KLM UKE, ATCL SEN, MAEL LTN) the C cert will be also B1 certifying as well. Getting a B1 cert is way harder than the baseline C. I could write a novel on that. You can see why many RAF TG1s avoid the licences unless they can get it with Shadow or Voyager (or connie in Scotland!)

Last edited:

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
The CRS was what I was on about when I said Tech Log. I suspect my Mod 10 notes are out of date or incorrect regarding timings. I’ve just looked on the CAA website and there is now no mention of the degree as a pre-requesit so I stand corrected.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
ILLKC,
I see that your experience is limited to 3 AMOs, mine is much broader. I'm a Quality Manager - the company you're with may have a compliance manager but mine doesn't. Another difference is that my company only hires LAEs with CAT B1/B2 and C - we don't have stand-alone CAT B1's or CAT A's. Consequently, I authorise our guys to CAT C level for everything and in our Authorisation system that includes B1/B2 duties too.

The conversation was, until you stepped in, about Stand-Alone Cat Cs. As I stated above the CAT C can only sign the Base Maintenance CRS. For those of you that see that person sign anything else, they sign it using their CAT B.

I've never seen a Stand-Alone CAT C or additional Types for CAT C only on anyone's Licence, though it's possible they exist. I vet CVs and Licences about 4 per month.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
ILLKC,
I see that your experience is limited to 3 AMOs, mine is much broader. I'm a Quality Manager - the company you're with may have a compliance manager but mine doesn't. Another difference is that my company only hires LAEs with CAT B1/B2 and C - we don't have stand-alone CAT B1's or CAT A's. Consequently, I authorise our guys to CAT C level for everything and in our Authorisation system that includes B1/B2 duties too.

The conversation was, until you stepped in, about Stand-Alone Cat Cs. As I stated above the CAT C can only sign the Base Maintenance CRS. For those of you that see that person sign anything else, they sign it using their CAT B.

I've never seen a Stand-Alone CAT C or additional Types for CAT C only on anyone's Licence, though it's possible they exist. I vet CVs and Licences about 4 per month.

So it has to, your company carries out a limited base maintenance function and your company approvals reflect that. You would never see a licence with a Cat C without the corresponding B1 or B2 with it in reality. I never mentioned the two Part 145s that I work for of course as in my case the base maintenance function the companies have/had is at other locations, I work in a line maintenance situation so purely in the preserve of B1 or seeing the type based at my line station is going soon and the course is expensive, CAT A at the mo. I do hold 2 approvals at B1 for other company types and so looking forward to the replacement type coming in as I hold that rating.

FootTapper

Sergeant
Cheers all.

I've been looking at APMP (Agile Project Management Practitioner) and it appears it's a universally recognised enhancement to Prince2?

As Unruly mentioned - APMP is the former name of the current APM PMQ - (the one where you study the APM Body of Knowledge) it's a set of tools and techniques (HOW to do things) applied to Projects, rather than a specific methodology/system to carry out a Project

PRINCE2 is a methodology, (it takes you from the start to finish and tells you WHAT things to do at each stage) it's known as being a Waterfall or Linear methodology as you generally move from one stage to another in a straight line

"Agile" is an iterative methodology - used extensively in areas like software development - where certain phases need to be carried out repeatedly. You'll also hear the term Scrum used a lot in relation to Agile, and "scrum master" as a qualification.

This may be a combination of egg-sucking and pedantry - but in the PM world it's quite important you don't use terms which may be misleading in regard to what qualifications you do or don't have.

Just to really confuse things... APM and Prince2 are both considered "UK Qualifications", but recognised in a lot of places around the world. Be aware that there's also a US Qualification - PMP - in lots of places they'll ask if you have PMP, referring to the US qualification, and you'll need to explain that you have APM PMQ and/or Prince2 and be able to explain the equivalency.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Just to really confuse things... APM and Prince2 are both considered "UK Qualifications", but recognised in a lot of places around the world. Be aware that there's also a US Qualification - PMP - in lots of places they'll ask if you have PMP, referring to the US qualification, and you'll need to explain that you have APM PMQ and/or Prince2 and be able to explain the equivalency.

Decent info there, cheers FT. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

FootTapper

Sergeant
Decent info there, cheers FT. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

In Saudi I gave up explaining the differences- and when they asked if I had PMP I'd just say yes, and then explain later if they queried it.

Agile is a very useful thing to have if you're looking at going into the areas which use it, but I'd definitely suggest doing both Prince2 Practitioner and APM PMQ as the foundation for any PM work.