• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selling medals

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Obviously his book didn’t sell well enough to stop him from having to sell the medals (I have a copy somewhere). He could have copies made but personally I think he’ll come to regret the decision later on in life. Couldn’t his sons just go to a normal school?

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have no decorations and quite frankly I'm pleased that I was never in a position to have to earned them.

Making a judgement on those who earned them and then decide to sell them for a profit is quite a bit above my station in life.

I can however criticise those who award the decoration without giving them something meaningful. Why not have us taxpayers fund a (better than mainstream) education for his kids. According to the decorations he's done a fair bit of the dirty work on our behalf...

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I have no decorations and quite frankly I'm pleased that I was never in a position to have to earned them.

Making a judgement on those who earned them and then decide to sell them for a profit is quite a bit above my station in life.

I can however criticise those who award the decoration without giving them something meaningful. Why not have us taxpayers fund a (better than mainstream) education for his kids. According to the decorations he's done a fair bit of the dirty work on our behalf...

Very dodgy ground as the LSGC doesn't belong to him toll he has left to sell as it can be forfeited at any time while serving. Personally I don't think they are worth half that amount even with a good story. And yes he can afford the school fees, he's probably got little Farquhar in boarding school for free at the moment anyway!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
How much did he get for selling his story to the Daily Hate?

How much did he earn from the book he wrote?

Call me a cynic, but the fact he's selling them to fund his children's education just isn't washing for me I'm afraid. Saying that, the tin is his to do with what he wishes.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How much did he get for selling his story to the Daily Hate?How much did he earn from the book he wrote? Call me a cynic, but the fact he's selling them to fund his children's education just isn't washing for me I'm afraid. Saying that, the tin is his to do with what he wishes.

Agree with the comment that the medals are his to do as he wishes and also yes the cynic in me wonders why a Sqn Ldr on his pension and book royalties needs to fund his nippers education. My guess is they are not going to Snot Street comprehensive just down the road

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
This shear capitalisation of unrequested tin-wear. He has sold them for a reported £50K (probably 'cos Lord Ashcroft loves a good story with his collection) and can replace them with replicas for circa £1500...no thought required for any money-grabber.

Johned

SAC
Selling medals

I was not aware until she had disposed of them but my mum sold my grandad's Boer War medals to Sothebys many years ago. Evidently she needed some cash which had I known I would have raised for her. Anyway it is a small world, within the last three years my brother saw them advertised on the web by a gent in Dublin (grandad's name, number and regt on the rim) and repurchased them so they are now back within the family!

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Very dodgy ground as the LSGC doesn't belong to him toll he has left to sell as it can be forfeited at any time while serving. Personally I don't think they are worth half that amount even with a good story. And yes he can afford the school fees, he's probably got little Farquhar in boarding school for free at the moment anyway!

Ady, I was referring to decorations (e.g. DFC) rather than simple medals (e.g. long-gong). You can earn both by sitting on your @rse but it is more likely that the long-gong recipient has a damn good story, told many times, while a DFC recipient has a very short story that he/she doesn't really want (or need) to talk about. If the latter has a kid called Farquhar then even me, a hairy-@rsed taxpayer, won't object to funding their education.