• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection Interview

stams1985

LAC
So my first interview is tomorrow and I am the most nervous i have ever been for anything.
This is a strange feeling for me as i don't usual get nervous about anything and i have competed in national competitions for jiu jitsu without so much as butterflies.

Any last minute advice?

I also read that i might be asked
What have we missed, that you think is relevant today?

I'm struggling to come up with anything to answer this. eek

Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I'm pretty lousy at giving advice, but what I would say is don't worry. As long as you answer questions truthfully and don't make stuff up if you don't know it, you'll be fine.

It's 26 years since I had my interviews, but if they are looking at current affairs I would imagine you would be asked things on Greece and the Euro, Russia & Ukraine, the situation in Syria; pretty much anything where Britain may have an interest and correspondingly, the RAF may be involved. They may be interested to see if you are aware of the upcoming SDSR - did you happen to catch David Cameron's views on UAVs yesterday?

I have my filter interview today also. I am nervous but as long as I can remember what I have been researching and come across confident (not too confident) I think I will be OK.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying " no I have nothing to add" to that question, if you actually dont have anything to add then don't make something up for the sake of it. I struggled with questions to ask them, I have 2 and I'm sure after I have more but for the life of me cannot remember them.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

stams1985

LAC
I have my filter interview today also. I am nervous but as long as I can remember what I have been researching and come across confident (not too confident) I think I will be OK.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying " no I have nothing to add" to that question, if you actually dont have anything to add then don't make something up for the sake of it. I struggled with questions to ask them, I have 2 and I'm sure after I have more but for the life of me cannot remember them.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

I did say that i had nothing to add and passed to it must have been ok. Hope you do well too.

I did say that i had nothing to add and passed to it must have been ok. Hope you do well too.

Same here, I passed as well and already got my medical set for next week! Worries about the eyesight now as I wear specs and heard Raf won't take you if your more than -6 and I think one of my eyes may be borderline, oh well off to spec savers tomorrow to find out!!

Hope it all goes well for you mate.

stams1985

LAC
Same here, I passed as well and already got my medical set for next week! Worries about the eyesight now as I wear specs and heard Raf won't take you if your more than -6 and I think one of my eyes may be borderline, oh well off to spec savers tomorrow to find out!!

Hope it all goes well for you mate.

That was quick, I was told 4-6 weeks for my medical. Hopefully your eyesight is good enough.

That was quick, I was told 4-6 weeks for my medical. Hopefully your eyesight is good enough.

I'm going for ICT Tech which is a pinch trade so they push you to the front of the queue (so I have been told). I went today and both eyes are under -6 so I'm very hopeful, I do have quite bad astigmatism though. Although the optician seemed to think I would manage without glasses driving etc for a good few hours before getting a headache or needing to put the glasses back on. anyway Medical next week so will have to see what the dreaded Capita make of it!

Sorry cant remember if you mentioned what trade your going for? How is the fitness side of things coming on for you?

stams1985

LAC
I'm going for ICT Tech which is a pinch trade so they push you to the front of the queue (so I have been told). I went today and both eyes are under -6 so I'm very hopeful, I do have quite bad astigmatism though. Although the optician seemed to think I would manage without glasses driving etc for a good few hours before getting a headache or needing to put the glasses back on. anyway Medical next week so will have to see what the dreaded Capita make of it!

Sorry cant remember if you mentioned what trade your going for? How is the fitness side of things coming on for you?
I'm going for avionic tech, was also told it was a pinch point trade. Mine might be because my AFCO had to put in an age waver for me (as I'm 30 in a couple of months).
Fitness is ok, passed the minimum standard but still hoping to get better.
1.5 miles in 10:18, 28 push ups and 41 sit ups. How about you?

I'm going for avionic tech, was also told it was a pinch point trade. Mine might be because my AFCO had to put in an age waver for me (as I'm 30 in a couple of months).
Fitness is ok, passed the minimum standard but still hoping to get better.
1.5 miles in 10:18, 28 push ups and 41 sit ups. How about you?

Well just keep checking the emails or text mate I'm sure it won't be long before you get your date. I'm just back from a run actually hit 10:56 for the mile and a half but about to test it on a treadmill over the next 5 days (trial at the gym) to make sure I can get within the time limit for that. About 30 push ups but sit ups need work as getting 33 at the moment! But only myself to blame gotta pick up the pace! Can't do much about the medical so sole focus is eat right and train as much as possible.

If you need any info about being an ICT Tech or TG4 then drop me a PM, good luck with your application and good choice!

stams1985

LAC
Well just keep checking the emails or text mate I'm sure it won't be long before you get your date. I'm just back from a run actually hit 10:56 for the mile and a half but about to test it on a treadmill over the next 5 days (trial at the gym) to make sure I can get within the time limit for that. About 30 push ups but sit ups need work as getting 33 at the moment! But only myself to blame gotta pick up the pace! Can't do much about the medical so sole focus is eat right and train as much as possible.

Just had a surprise phone call, because my trade is in high demand they want to arrange a medical ASAP. Like Friday, in Nottingham using Capita which from reading on here is a bit worrying.

Just had a surprise phone call, because my trade is in high demand they want to arrange a medical ASAP. Like Friday, in Nottingham using Capita which from reading on here is a bit worrying.

Brilliant news! (I have my medical on Thursday). Everyone gets Capita (contracted for all military medicals or so I hear). From what I read (like yourself) its a worry, but to be honest the medical is out of our hands, go in, do as we are told, give them the information and they decide.....of and clean you ears! Let us know how you get on! Any worries?

So had my medical this morning, it consists of:

• questionnaire about your medical history
  • check your eyes, ears
  • reflexes
  • quick look in your mouth and ears
  • height and weight to get the BMI
  • push ups (3)
  • walk on your toes, heels and sides of your feet, squat walk
  • check all your joints and movement of you arms and legs
  • colour blindness test
  • eyesight test (I had my prescription so was fine to take that)
  • Hearing test (headphones, listen for the beeps)

Unfortunately I had to take a letter to my GP as I had surgery on my eyelids when I was about 16 (nothing to do with eye sight, more cosmetic than anything else) but the doc thought it was something in her little folder which might effect the application (she didn't even know what it was, she looked it up on the internet and even then I just checked and that was wrong), what annoys me is the corrective surgery worked a treat and no more issues (in growing eyelashes just in case your wondering, more an irritation than anything) and now I have to wait weeks for a decision, can I appeal it if it comes back not in my favour?

Sorry for the rant just a bit gutted that something so small may hinder my chances.

stams1985

LAC
Unfortunately I had to take a letter to my GP as I had surgery on my eyelids when I was about 16 (nothing to do with eye sight, more cosmetic than anything else) but the doc thought it was something in her little folder which might effect the application (she didn't even know what it was, she looked it up on the internet and even then I just checked and that was wrong), what annoys me is the corrective surgery worked a treat and no more issues (in growing eyelashes just in case your wondering, more an irritation than anything) and now I have to wait weeks for a decision, can I appeal it if it comes back not in my favour?

Sorry for the rant just a bit gutted that something so small may hinder my chances.

Sucks if they fail the application because of that. Hope it's just precaution, as she didn't know what it was.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
So had my medical this morning, it consists of:

• questionnaire about your medical history
  • check your eyes, ears
  • reflexes
  • quick look in your mouth and ears
  • height and weight to get the BMI
  • push ups (3)
  • walk on your toes, heels and sides of your feet, squat walk
  • check all your joints and movement of you arms and legs
  • colour blindness test
  • eyesight test (I had my prescription so was fine to take that)
  • Hearing test (headphones, listen for the beeps)

I would be very surprised if the operation you describe hinders your application. I am no recruitment expert, but I would have thought that as long as you have good vision (with or without specs), and there are no lasting repercussions from your op, then you should have nothing to worry about. It sounds like the doc is just being thorough - bear in mind that as part of your training you may have to undergo exercises in a gas chamber and she may want to be sure that there is no reaction between the CS pellets and your eyes.

I would sit back and let things run their course - if it gives you peace of mind you could always discuss the matter with your GP and ask for their view on whether the operation you had could adversely affect your application.

I would be very surprised if the operation you describe hinders your application. I am no recruitment expert, but I would have thought that as long as you have good vision (with or without specs), and there are no lasting repercussions from your op, then you should have nothing to worry about. It sounds like the doc is just being thorough - bear in mind that as part of your training you may have to undergo exercises in a gas chamber and she may want to be sure that there is no reaction between the CS pellets and your eyes.

I would sit back and let things run their course - if it gives you peace of mind you could always discuss the matter with your GP and ask for their view on whether the operation you had could adversely affect your application.

Thanks very much guys. I'm just going to use the time to crack on with fitness and keep focused. I am sure your right as she hadn't seen it before she is just making sure, I have asked the GP to call me if possible when she is sending the report back so I'll see what she says then but there has been no visists to the docs since the op so they can see it worked with no further issues.

Thanks again puts my mind at ease slightly.