• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scottish end to pay cap

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I don't see how she can implement this for anyone not employed by Scottish bodies - so civil servants working in the Scottish talking shop could get a pay rise while anybody (uniformed or CS) working within MOD gets stuck with whatever London decides.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
I don't see how she can implement this for anyone not employed by Scottish bodies - so civil servants working in the Scottish talking shop could get a pay rise while anybody (uniformed or CS) working within MOD gets stuck with whatever London decides.
I was think whether they could be eligible for some form of pay rise in a way people of the country of London receive extras. Or seeing they must pay the council tax locally for the amenities and local benefits in forms of child welfare or adult care allowance. Would the Civil Service within the MOD being locally employed not become eligible. Remember when the Poll Tax in 1988 first introduced in Scotland. At RAF SAXAVORD everyone were paying about £118 PA for amenities we never got, until a complaint to Shetland Island Council sorted the problem out for services.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Service personnel in Scotland (FS pay rates and above) pay more income tax so anything' possible.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Had it confirmed today that Sturgeon does not have the power to increase MoD or Civil Servant pay for anyone serving in Scotland.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Service personnel in Scotland (FS pay rates and above) pay more income tax so anything' possible.

Do they? It was my understanding they pay the same is the rest of us...

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Their pay is the same, the amount of tax they pay on it differs. Anyone posted to Scotland has an S at the end of their tax code. Currently this means that those earning above £43000 pay 40% income tax while it's above £45000 in the rest of the UK.

From Techie Tubby's post it looks like Scottish Service personnel are about to all pay more tax (the upcoming changes will hit the 20% payers as well from the sounds of it) but not earn the extra money that goes with it for other public sector workers.

The best thing that could happen to Scotland is some sort of plague that just hits the SNP.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
So is that S for Sturgeon Tax, suppose you can get a free university education for your kids so paying an extra £800 per year might be worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm sure I read a DIN that those posted to Scotland pay the same tax rates as the rest of the UK as opposed to Scottish rates...

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
That must a new DIN for the future then because currently we're taxed differently.

As for the free uni there's another kick in the balls coming. If they can, SAAS (the funding body) will refuse to pay for uni fees if the student is relatively new or a recent returnee to Scotland. I personally know of 2 students who were told they weren't entitled. One who'd followed her dad on a posting South for a couple of years before returning and another who was serving and applied to the Open University. He was told he didn't qualify for Scottish subsidised fees as a Serviceman. The SNP have nothing but contempt for Service personnel and I have nothing but contempt for Service personnel that support them.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That must a new DIN for the future then because currently we're taxed differently.

No it was a while ago, I'm sure it said that although the tax code is prefaced with an S, servicemen posted north of the wall wouldn't be disadvantaged and pay more tax. Maybe I misread it....

If you served unaccompanied and have a family home outside of Scotland which you go back to at the weekends then you wouldn't pay Scottish tax. Almost everyone else up north would pay the Scottish rate.

When it first came in there was no difference which might be what the din was getting at.

To be fair, most people serving in Scotland want to be there. I would be interested to see if anyone argues against a posting due to the increased taxation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
For a WO the difference is currently about £400 a year. Most spend more than that on private careers, the old giffers. If a change is brought to the 20% rate I can see more disquiet. JRs accommodation is already awful up here with no intention to improve it any time soon. When SACs start finding out they're taking home less money to live in **** I can see Lossie becoming a huge morale problem.