• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

San Diego Advice

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So goaters I may soon be spending some down time in San Diego....anybody got any top tips?

Is it gaslamp I've heard about? Heard it can be pricey and that Pacific Beach(?) is a more chilled out, relaxed and cheaper environment...

Also is it pretty easy to cross into Tijuana?

Any other thoughts welcome on this grey freezing april day.....:pDT_Xtremez_31:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
There's the freebie at seaworld. RAF 1250 that'll do nicely sir....
Old town San Diego was a bit hippy but some ace food
Unfortunately I never made the gaslight area but it looked nice when we drove through.

If you go to Pacific Beach take your passport otherwise you'll not even get into a bar. They were really strict on that.

Another place for a pint is the Top Gun bar on the waterfront near the park/ aircraft carrier museum (also free with a 1250). Plenty of eateries and pubs near there too, but a little more expensive but not too bad.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Personally wouldn't touch Mexico without a flight direct into the hotel compound.

Not a good place

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Oh really? Some work colleagues speak very highly of tijuana... shame.

Entropy

Sergeant
Go and learn to Paraglide at Torrey Pines. The general consensus is that there is no better place in the world to fly yet learn. If you do and you are then stuck in Crickhowell on a damp rainy day just mention of flying at the place should get you free beer from the instructors. As you will be there for some time I will NOT be able to forgive you for missing such an opportunity. I still want to do it even after not flown since 1999.

The last time I was there, La Jolla/Pacific Beach just south of Torrey Pines had some very stunning scenery, if you know what I mean, but that was 20 years ago.

Plus I take it as given that you will take the tram and go to Tijuana drinking. Also try to go to La Paz in Baja Mexico if you get some down time, scheduled flights from Tijuana Intl Airport.

Last edited:
If it is a work trip you will probably get a brief banning you from crossing the boarder. I know we couldn't in 2009 and I think it is even worse now.
Gas lamps is a good night, I had one of my best filet mignon's in a steak house there. One of the hotels has a rooftop bar overlooking the baseball ground that's good views for match day.

squipper

Corporal
If you have time, get across the huge bridge onto Coronado Island, very nice place with spectacular beaches. If you have Military ID, get yourself up to 32nd Street, its the US Navy base and they have a massive NEX where you can get EVERY bit of duty free shopping you could imagine.

P

pie sandwich

The Gas lamp quarter is nice, some good bars for booze & food.
The Top Gun bar is called The Kansas city BBQ, the waitresses in there ain't too shabby especially the one with the big boobs. Nextdoor is the embassy suits and they do c0cktails ect and have some nice totty
USS Midway is really good, they have people that served on the ship as tour guides and at certain points you can stop at say the F4 Phantom and the guy there will tell you all about the aircraft etc etc.
Also further down the beach front there are 2 Subs that you can look around and also an old steamer.

A friend of mine used to live in San Diego and he said don't even think about going over the boarder, if your lucky you will just be mugged!

W

wgaf

Gas lamp district is good. Tijuana is.......interesting. Pacific beach is the only place I've ever thought about emigrating to in the states but the jewel in the crown is the Mexican quarter, been there a few times and spent cinque de mayo there a few years ago. Great food and the best tequila bars I've been to.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I spent St Patrick's day in the gas lamp district a few years back, it was awesome, make sure you take your passport out with you they are very picky about who gets in, don't go across the border, like has been said you will probably get a brief telling you can't anyway its better to keep 2 kidneys.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Gas lamp - good but you'll spend quite a bit
Corranado - lovely.
tijuianna - huuummm, interesting to say the least ;0), but good fun, still got a grin on my face,,,, beadwindow :pDT_Xtremez_06:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Spent the best part of a couple of weeks there last year and enjoyed every minute. If you're feeling brave and are on actuals then may I suggest the New York Strip Club and attempt the 69 challenge. Tilted Kilt is worth a try as is the Double Deuce, eye candy a plenty. Altitude lounge overlooks Petco Park (as did my room in the residence inn).

Never went across the border so can't comment about that.

orgASMic

LAC
My brother in law lived in San Diego and worked in Tiajuana for about 18 months. He loved it and never had any bother south of the border.
The zoo is brilliant if you like that sort if thing.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
The zoo is brilliant.

If only you knew that some of them there animals do a bit of "moonlighting" in certain establishments of an evening lol

smcrea

LAC
Seems like this is an old thread but I couldn't resist!

I've lived in San Diego for 20 years!

What do you need to know! :)

KeithyG

LAC
The Altitude Bar on top of the Marriot is one of the best bars you will ever go to! That, I can promise you.