• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SAC Runway Caravan Controllers

I

insideinfoman

With the powers that be deciding that there is obviously a shortfall of Cpls able to do the Rwy Caravan, whats the thoughts on SAC's doing the job?

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
insideinfoman said:
With the powers that be deciding that there is obviously a shortfall of Cpls able to do the Rwy Caravan, whats the thoughts on SAC's doing the job?

Well it don't bother me..then again i'm not sitting in the jet about to take off/land ....SAC's probably over qualified.....let a rock sit there instead...PS..wanna go ???

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
insideinfoman said:

With the lack of expirience at JNCO level it will be no different. As long as the SAC has the aptitude to do it then what the hell

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
Tashy_Man said:
Well it don't bother me..then again i'm not sitting in the jet about to take off/land ....SAC's probably over qualified.....let a rock sit there instead...PS..wanna go ???

right listen yous lot i wud this but aint got a toe bar on my saxo

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What with empowerment (making someone who gets paid less do the job of someone who got paid more), leaning, draw-down and so on positions seem to be getting filled by lower and lower ranks these days...I wonder if the rank of LAC will ever make a comeback to being something of importance like in those halcyon days when they were gods and sported the most jauntiest of chip bags at unfeasible angles??

skevans

Flight Sergeant
SAC's currently 'fill in' for NCO's within a lot of trades, we certainly have a fair share of this practice in mine!

O

Oh sir

It all depends on the SAC in question.

I've met 22 year SACs in my trade who never got promoted but were nevertheless outstanding at their job. (Usually this was because of petty personality clashes at 6000 time).

There are also (Increasingly these days) many 4 / 5 year full screws, (some of them only 23-24 years old) who I wouldn't trust to park my car.

So that's my opinion for what it's worth.... an SAC can be trusted with anything really, as long as he's trusted by his management and proved his maturity and aptitude for that particular job. Rank isn't the overriding factor here.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Oh sir said:
Rank isn't the overriding factor here.

Pay is though, commensurate with responsibility.
Why couldn't they make them acting up to fill the post as used to happen?
I forgot, because it's cheaper!
There are FAR too many sqn cpl posts created to ensure a more "senior" JR gets posted to sqn's. Well that fookin' worked then didn't it. :pDT_Xtremez_35:
Bunch of cheapskate, shortsighted, fast-tracking's a great idea, bunch of arse ****e. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Vim_Fuego said:
What with empowerment (making someone who gets paid less do the job of someone who got paid more), leaning, draw-down and so on positions seem to be getting filled by lower and lower ranks these days...I wonder if the rank of LAC will ever make a comeback to being something of importance like in those halcyon days when they were gods and sported the most jauntiest of chip bags at unfeasible angles??

Well Vim I have been saying for years that NCO aircrew do not need to be plastics, an SAC could be a better rank for them and get promoted as everyone else has to so I agree with your sentiment!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Get Tae said:
Well Vim I have been saying for years that NCO aircrew do not need to be plastics, an SAC could be a better rank for them and get promoted as everyone else has to so I agree with your sentiment!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Except for me of course who gives nothing but value for money.....:pDT_Xtremez_25: ...in no fact no...have this one..:pDT_Xtremez_32:

D

Donald Rumsfeld

insideinfoman said:

Why not if they have the right qualities, after all there are plenty of them sharing your mess at Shawbury whilst undergoing training on JSATTC.
I now standby for the incoming !

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
insideinfoman said:

Naughty Naughty it is not possesive!! 2/10 see me

I

insideinfoman

r0jaws said:
Pay is though, commensurate with responsibility.
Why couldn't they make them acting up to fill the post as used to happen?
I forgot, because it's cheaper!
There are FAR too many sqn cpl posts created to ensure a more "senior" JR gets posted to sqn's. Well that fookin' worked then didn't it. :pDT_Xtremez_35:
Bunch of cheapskate, shortsighted, fast-tracking's a great idea, bunch of arse ****e. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

Quite true.

Heres an interesting fact and the reason behind the move I think? Currently there are 376 SACs to 324 Cpls!!!!

And not forgetting last night whilst getting a brief watching 2 long standing WOs shaking their heads!!! The only other way would be to promote the said SACs to Cpl and then there is no problem.......apart from no SACs out there with the required promotion rec's/seniority!!!! :pDT_Xtremez_35: I guess as a trade we are buggered for promotions for the next few years!!

Chaka

Sergeant
insideinfoman said:
Quite true.

Heres an interesting fact and the reason behind the move I think? Currently there are 376 SACs to 324 Cpls!!!!

And not forgetting last night whilst getting a brief watching 2 long standing WOs shaking their heads!!! The only other way would be to promote the said SACs to Cpl and then there is no problem.......apart from no SACs out there with the required promotion rec's/seniority!!!! :pDT_Xtremez_35: I guess as a trade we are buggered for promotions for the next few years!!

SACs doing the Van? WTF? :pDT_Xtremez_35:

What is the world coming too? The next thing you'll be suggesting is SAC air traffic controllers and do away with Officers controllers like the USAF operate.

Hmmmm....nows there's a cheapskate way to save loadsa money!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Y

You Can Call Me Al

Dear God save us!

Dear God save us!

The role of the man in the van has never been taken as seriously by the 'powers that be' as it should be.

A properly structured training course for what is, IMHO, a job with very nearly as much responsibility as the Tower Controller would enable any rank to fulfill the duty.

If I were the SAC given the task I would be sorely miffed at filling such an important role yet getting the same pay as the gash shag in any of the routine desk-type jobs that abound in our trade.

I think this sucks.

::/:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
You Can Call Me Al said:
The role of the man in the van has never been taken as seriously by the 'powers that be' as it should be.

A properly structured training course for what is, IMHO, a job with very nearly as much responsibility as the Tower Controller would enable any rank to fulfill the duty.

If I were the SAC given the task I would be sorely miffed at filling such an important role yet getting the same pay as the gash shag in any of the routine desk-type jobs that abound in our trade.

I think this sucks.

Routine? Such as? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Chaka

Sergeant
You Can Call Me Al said:

I think this sucks.

Agreed old man, how many times as the Caravan Controller got Tower Controllers and the Aircrew out of the poo?:pDT_Xtremez_03:

Saved my skin on one occasion and better to be safe than sorry.:pDT_Xtremez_26:

I

insideinfoman

It doesn't matter if the assistant is in the tower or caravan, I've lost count of the amount of times I got Local Controller out of the Pooo.

If the assistant is good then why not let him/her do it?

Surely the added responsibilty of being the RWC controller should be reflexed in their 6000 and give weight to the promotion recommendation. In these days, the role of a JNCO is leans more to the Leadership/Management side.

If you read the current edition of Aviate you'll see that an Acting Cpl got a Flight Safety Award for spotting an A/C with its hook down whilst in the RWC!!

Chaka

Sergeant
insideinfoman said:
It doesn't matter if the assistant is in the tower or caravan, I've lost count of the amount of times I got Local Controller out of the Pooo.

If the assistant is good then why not let him/her do it?

Surely the added responsibilty of being the RWC controller should be reflexed in their 6000 and give weight to the promotion recommendation. In these days, the role of a JNCO is leans more to the Leadership/Management side.

If you read the current edition of Aviate you'll see that an Acting Cpl got a Flight Safety Award for spotting an A/C with its hook down whilst in the RWC!!

Maybe fast trackers only then? It would help them when then get to JATCC.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
insideinfoman said:

Grrrrr that is what is there for... fecking awards bollox