• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Running with weights

Entropy

Sergeant
I have been placed on a mandatory diet by the OC of my life, I won't argue the point as I have rather a fondness for beer. Anyhow I was thinking of adding an occasional run with weights into my fitness program. My line of thinking was that I wouldn't notice the weight if I replaced any weight lost with weight being carried.

I thinking of doing this as I have read that running with weights can be beneficial for strength training as well as getting myself ready for an expected visit overseas.

Is this a sensible idea or am I opening myself to a world of pain and injury?

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I have been placed on a mandatory diet by the OC of my life, I won't argue the point as I have rather a fondness for beer. Anyhow I was thinking of adding an occasional run with weights into my fitness program. My line of thinking was that I wouldn't notice the weight if I replaced any weight lost with weight being carried.

I thinking of doing this as I have read that running with weights can be beneficial for strength training as well as getting myself ready for an expected visit overseas.

Is this a sensible idea or am I opening myself to a world of pain and injury?
Buy a dog.

Go for long walks with a rucksack on, then increase the weight in the rucksack over a couple of months until it is full (a few tinnies in their as as emergency refreshment may be useful).

Then with the same weight walk a bit faster and further, eventually going for a jog.

Eventually you might start to enjoy it.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
What he said... I started serious walking at new year (I have a prolapsed lumbar disk... it helps...) and in 5 months I have walked 1400 miles... Thats 5 at lunch and between 6 and 10 at night - every day - I've lost 2 stone and feel a damn sight better than I have in years! The target is to walk 2012 miles this year...

Entropy

Sergeant
I'm running 5K 3 times a week at the mo, just wondered if adding weights to match my current weight occasionally would help with the training and holiday prep.

Mightierthan

Corporal
One of the reasons that doctors advise losing weight is because of the wear & tear that excess weight causes to joints such as knees etc. you may build muscle, but you could destroy your knees, back and ankles in the process. Just run and enjoy the feeling of feeling lighter and lighter. Everyone is different and everyone may give different advice, but that's mine!

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
How are you thinking of carrying the weight/s?

When you carry weight on your body there is a pretty good distribution and therefore less strain on particular parts of the body. When carrying substitute foir body weight, build the weight up slowly whilst maintaining a good pace.

You can carry weight in a backpack but try to load the weight as close to your body as possible to reduce strain. Avoid carrying too much if you have back problems. Try carrying bottles of water at first - if it gets a bit much you can always empty some out. Also play around with position of the back pack for optimum comfiort.

Ankle and/or wrist weights are quite good but you'll have to experiment a bit to work out the right weights.

If you want to increase strength run a fixed distance and over period of time add weight.

If you want to increase endurance increase running distance and weight over time.

There is an increased risk of joint injury as you'll become a fit person carrying weight and running fast as opposed to an unfit heavy person carrying the same total weight and running slow, so take care.