• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Running In Boots?

M

monobrow

You might have to a bit more clearer in your post. Are you asking whether you should run in your boots, or if the military run in their boots??

Once you have them you can do what you like in them, however I would walk in them to break them in.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I might be wrong however it is my understanding that recently potential recruits have been going to Halton on a 2/3 day intro/orientation visit. During that visit they are issued with a small muber of items including a pair of boots which they are recommended to take away and "BREAK IN" before they start their full RTS course. I would imagine they are also given guidelines on exactly what to do to break them in.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know the latest generations of recruits have experienced some problems with wearing such rigid footwear as boots...The nineties and noughties children grew up in trainers so when they shoved on a pair of CS95 boots it did considerable damage to their tootsies...If your previous life to joining up hasn't involved wearing boots or sturdy leather footwear and youo've always favoured the trainer as your shoe of choice then I would walk in your boots first...short distances and if you feel like they are rubbing (sometimes called 'hotspots') then go home, take them off and have a look...You'll see where it has been rubbing as it'll be red and sore (duh!)...Now this is where a number of people on here will disagree but this is what I did/do...Get hold of some zinc tape and bind that bit of your foot...The zinc tape stops the rub and allows you to carry on walking...Once you know which bits of your foot rub you can pre-bind if you know you've got a few days of messing around playing soldierscoming up...

Also get hold of some surgical spirit and cotton wool balls...I did this before I started Swinderby (the old recruit depot)...After you've showered put some SS on the cotton wool and wash your feet all over but especially the pads...It begins to harden up the whole area...Not amazingly but enough...

Also once you're into basic training give your feet a break if you're abled to at night...You're probably working them quite hard through the day so when you're back in the block at night and hopefully attending to your duties various wear flip-flops or similar...I used 'Reef' sandals whilst on the NCAITC and because they are 'action sandals' I wore them everywhere when not on duty...It lets your feet breathe and dry...

In summary if you don't do something for your feet they will let you down when you most need them...Don't forget to tend to your toenails as well and get to know your feet...The happier they are during Halton I guarantee you the happier you will be...

G

grumpyoldb

We were told to pee in them. It makes the leather supple.................!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

C

chilley1991

Well ive just gone through halton, passed out December the 2nd,

You will be running in you boots alot, on the 1st Saturday in fact,

and during Battle P.T witch is amaizing :p

just walk in them as much as you can when you get them and then tape up witch is what i did and now my boots are the most comfy shoe i own x::p:::p: crack on!

R

royalmarines1664

Post moved from another thread. MC

Not sure if im right in saying this but i'll say it anyway. One of my relatives is in a job where she transports millitary personell and she told me that I shouldn't go running in my boots because they stopped it due to problems. I still don't thinks shes right in saying this but was just wondering if there is any truth in it or is she just chatting a load of, ermm whats the word?

Are you joining the military? If so, the RAF Regt?

Running in boots can lead to a lot of problems, more than just sore feet and blisters. If you are intending joining the military, the start of in trainers and improve your fitness that way.

W

Walks1989

boots

boots

went to may PRTC last week, and they said in no circumstance you WILL NOT be expected to run in issued boots.

D

dodgysootie

The good thing about running in boots is the excellent grip that is achieved, especially whilst dragging used car tyres up hills.
Hope this helps.

DS

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I'm not sure about the type of leather used in the more recent boots, but the old way to bear a new pair in was to get them VERY wet (the bath, deep puddle), put two pairs of socks on and wear them till they dry out.

The best tip I've seen in this thread is the Zinc Oxide tape for "hot-spots". I'd even suggest taking a roll with you and use it immediately you feel a hot-spot developing.

Like all things though, build up gently. Wear the boots to sit around the house for an evening before you attempt a stroll to the shops or a short run... such as Marathon des Sables.

I certainly wouldn't agree with p!ssing in the boots. All you'll have then is uncomfortable boots that smell of p!ss. Good in a nursing home, less so in the military.

M

milothesuperdog

when i was 15 we I was lucky enough to be selected to go on an expedition in the Amazon Rainforest as part of a conservation excercise. It was humid and hot and we had to walk 10 miles a day sometimes which is no easy feat in virgin jungle.

We were issued ex-army leather boots that were, honestly, HUGE, and fairly uncomfortable at first. Acting on advice, I wore mine on and off for a while prior to the trip, and 7 days before i was due to leave I put them in a vat of hot water and left them for a while, then took them out and beat them with a hammer. Had no problems with them at all except one or two small blisters.

Whether this was just luck or due to my actions I'm not sure, but beating them with a hammer was a good laugh... :pDT_Xtremez_30:

B

bowiejaimie

dont wee on your boots

dont wee on your boots

if you are going on boot run cover your feet in vasiline . even if your feet get wet you dont get blisters

D

double_dd

if you are going on boot run cover your feet in vasiline . even if your feet get wet you dont get blisters

Didn't the guys in the trenches do this to try and stop trench foot but it turned out it made it worse because the foot couldn't breath?

Not sure like...

B

bowiejaimie

it would be odd if your foot rotted of by the time you finished a 8 miler,it might not work for everyone but i never got blisters

P

Portcullis

Don't Run in Boots

Don't Run in Boots

Running in new boots is not recommended. First it's the blisters, then the ankle ligament and tendon strains as you try to push through the new leather.

Just wear them. Put on the issued socks, or if you are feeling flush, some good quality walking socks, pull the bottom laces tight and lock off at the 4th lace guide (square one) then do the top part up so its comfortable, then go walk the dog, or do the gardening, or go down the pub.

Don't bull them, use a good quality polish like kiwi, and a brush. Apply lots of polish, leave for an hour somewhere warm (if the airing cupboard, mind mum's sheets!) then brush off. Repeat often. If you want a deeper shine, use an old pair of tights to buff up.

Simple as that. Sorry it's not funny!:raf:

T

the green bowl

Previous issue boots?

Previous issue boots?

If I do get to Halton (or better yet IOT) can I wear my own boots or will I have to wear the ones they give you?

I've had a pair of British Army issue boots for 18 months and they're very nicely worn in.