• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Union world Cup

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The pace of play between France and the Boks was unbelievable. I don’t think England are going to fare too well next weekend….

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don’t think England are going to fare too well next weekend….
The boks look huge compared to other teams, a large collection of large humans. We have a chance our little chaps have to make their fat boys run around until they are knackered. So Argies v NZ and the last home nation v S. Africa.
Head says NZ v Boks, heart says NZ v England in the final

A bit of light relief the original Haka done proper by Northeners.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So a big Rugby weekend for England and the Farrell family. At 20.00on Saturday evening Owen will probably be playing for England V the Springboks watched by Ireland coach and his dad Andy and fellow family member cousin Liam Farrell will be hoping to get some game time for England v Tonga at 14.30 on Sunday in the first RL test.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
England v South Africa (not the cricket one) so it’s half time and England are in front and seem to the better team but where’s the rugby? Lots of muscular on the floor wrestling and an absolute torrent of kicking. Ball on the floor get it out the back door then hoof it up field, repeat until there’s a penalty. In fact not a actually penalty just yet, signal for a penalty then play on for a few phases and then go back to the penalty awarded some minutes ago. Where’s the rugby? Maybe the teams could attempt at a scrum to get the ball out of the rear of the scrum to someone, shockingly perhaps to the scrum half who PASSES, to the half back who then PASSES, to the centre who PASSES to the winger who overlaps and scores. Or perhaps from the ruck PASS to a lock or flanker who runs forwards PASSES to a supporting centre who then PASSES to a winger. Where’s the rugby its all kick and clap!! Still that said I hope England win.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
England v South Africa (not the cricket one) so it’s half time and England are in front and seem to the better team but where’s the rugby? Lots of muscular on the floor wrestling and an absolute torrent of kicking. Ball on the floor get it out the back door then hoof it up field, repeat until there’s a penalty. In fact not a actually penalty just yet, signal for a penalty then play on for a few phases and then go back to the penalty awarded some minutes ago. Where’s the rugby? Maybe the teams could attempt at a scrum to get the ball out of the rear of the scrum to someone, shockingly perhaps to the scrum half who PASSES, to the half back who then PASSES, to the centre who PASSES to the winger who overlaps and scores. Or perhaps from the ruck PASS to a lock or flanker who runs forwards PASSES to supporting a centre who then PASSES to a winger. Where’s the rugby its all kick and clap!! Still that said I hope England win.
I see England got beaten in the kick-fest due to one try scored by SA. Thank god its over next week. It must have been the longest running sporting world cup in history.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
We lost as, they failed to capitalised on the running game. There were elements where SA were open and England did not go for it, additionally the Scrum was our downfall as well. It was there for the taking. Its NZ for me next week, way more smarter than SA currently.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
the Scrum was our downfall as well.
To my untrained eye it seemed that we held their pack at bay until Joe Marler and his mates went off and England changed the forwards to some other large humans in white who didn't perform quite as well.

On a wider note this world cup has further dulled my interest in Union and until Union becomes more dynamic on the pitch I'll probably not bother tuning in . WWE antics on the floor then ruck, maul, scrum, box kick, catch it, kick it, wait for a penalty, rinse and repeat for 80 minutes bit of a yawn fest.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So the Springboks won with a selection policy of using large humans in shifts stiffling the game (in my view).
So Union folks what can be done to get the backs more involved?
Is there some way to slow down the second half merry go round of multiple interchanges of large forwards?
Less subs allowed?
How do we make the outcome more likely to be 34-31 and less 12-9?
Change the allocation of points perhaps to better reward try scoring and reduce the value of penalties?
Alter the kicking rules to encourage more ball handling and running rugby Union?

Over to you experts in the 15 a side version.

There are certainly areas of the game that need serious addressing. I read a fact the other day - 3 out of the 4 finals that SA have won were without scoring any tries. To me that sucks. Some of the so-called lower tier sides gave much better vfm in their games. Portugal and Fiji both impressed me massively.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
So the Springboks won with a selection policy of using large humans in shifts stiffling the game (in my view).
So Union folks what can be done to get the backs more involved?
Is there some way to slow down the second half merry go round of multiple interchanges of large forwards?
Less subs allowed?
How do we make the outcome more likely to be 34-31 and less 12-9?
Change the allocation of points perhaps to better reward try scoring and reduce the value of penalties?
Alter the kicking rules to encourage more ball handling and running rugby Union?

Over to you experts in the 15 a side version.
Less points for penalties and drop goals would make tries more valuable.
I'm not sure how many interchanges are allowed, but league allows 8 over the whole 80 minutes.
Stop the clock every time there is a scrum, a penalty and a line out. Sure, the games will then last over 2 hours, but very quickly clubs will adapt when they realise time-wasting isnt going to be allowed any more.