• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Union world Cup

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So this year 2023 it's unions turn to hold it's version of the rugby world cup in that there France. (The Rugby League world cup was 2022)
So 15 a side lovers can a home nation succeed?
Perhaps even a Northern hemisphere nation?
Which wild card team do you think can make the knockout stages?
And the winners are??

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Might give this a watch.....to see what it's like. Pretty bored of international football so why not.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Might give this a watch.....to see what it's like.
21.30. Doing something similar, watching St. Helens v Leigh rugby (currently 16-6) but channel hopping to France v NZ union ( currently 9-13).

kawoloki

Sergeant
I can't ever remember such a weak NZ team...

Looking like one of France, South Africa or Ireland..

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If RU took a leaf out of Fifa's book and made the "ball in play" time longer, the sport might appeal to me. However, with the ball spending over half its time not in play due to line outs, scrums, all-pile-ons etc, I have always tended to get distracted. Stop the clock every time the ball gets kicked to touch and start it when the ball is thrown in. Stop the clock when a scrum is called and start it when the ball is fed in.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Ice hockey has been using the 'Stop Play - Stop Clock' system for as long as I can remember, It stops strategic timewasting and can lead to the last 30 seconds of the playing time taking 2 or 3 minutes or so.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's half time England are in front and Union game is still a confusing entitity. Big pile of bodies wrestling around on the floor penalty to team A, next big pile of bodies, doing what appears to be the same penalty to team B. The 40 minute half took around 55 minutes the VAR/TMO/FPRO etc squad were busy. People still kicked the ball off the pitch on purpose to stop the game which judging by the applause is apparently a good thing. I have no idea if it's a good game, if England are following some sort of plan, if kick and clap Union is the way ahead or scrum, ruck, maul, push and shove is the way ahead. Still England are winning and the commentary team have not mentioned the Falklands once. C'mon Ingerland

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So England win and amass 27 points without scoring a try. A rugby game without the winning team scoring a try!! Say What!!.
Still well played George Ford and well played England with a man short for most of the game.

Manu Tuilagi - What a loose forward or centre he would have been in the Rugby league game

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Enjoyed the game, and quite unexpected following the warm ups, always helps the mental attitude to win a hard game, although we did make it harder for ourselves.

We all can’t like all sports, I can’t watch Hockey as I just don’t understand what’s going on, I don’t think that makes it a bad game, just not for me.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We all can’t like all sports, I can’t watch Hockey as I just don’t understand what’s going on, I don’t think that makes it a bad game, just not for me.
I'm a sport lover in general but watching Union does the same for me, baffling at times, not a bad game for those in the know just not for me.

Junter

LAC
I think I prefer union to league. I'm no expert when it comes to the rules but I think I can just about follow what's happening in a union game. I like some aspects of rugby league but when players are tackled and they wriggle about on the ground, it just looks a bit unsavoury.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So Union types whats your thoughts on the tournament so far? For me who really hasn't watched union much it appears that the higher seeded teams have won as expected and no one has shocked the world order yet. So predictable or just proving the world rankings are about right?

"I like some aspects of rugby league but when players are tackled and they wriggle about on the ground, it just looks a bit unsavoury."
Once the tackle is completed it is incumbent upon the tackled player to get straight back up, keep the game flowing and play the ball ASAP. The tackling guys should also get off him ASAP. The wriggling fish act is to show the ref - look I'm trying to get up really quickly and keep the game going but the other teams guys are preventing me can I have a penalty please. Unless it becomes very obvious he's being held down the refs usually don't react

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I didnt think Australia had a particularly strong Yawnion side anyway. Isnt it South Africa, Ireland and New Zealand that are favourites?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Tonight I'm channel hopping between the Hull KR v Leigh Leopards rugby league eliminator and NZ v Italy rugby union world cup match. I keep watching odd bits and pieces of the rugby union world cup and whilst it's still not totally understandable some bits are quite interesting.
One thing is really beginning to grind my gears though, TV pundits frequently mentioning the rugby world cup. There is no such animal. The game comes in two different flavours Rugby League or Rugby Union. The event in France is the rugby UNION version of the world cup FFS.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Tonight I'm channel hopping between the Hull KR v Leigh Leopards rugby league eliminator and NZ v Italy rugby union world cup match. I keep watching odd bits and pieces of the rugby union world cup and whilst it's still not totally understandable some bits are quite interesting.
One thing is really beginning to grind my gears though, TV pundits frequently mentioning the rugby world cup. There is no such animal. The game comes in two different flavours Rugby League or Rugby Union. The event in France is the rugby UNION version of the world cup FFS.
Sadly, the RFU took ownership of the name after their first World Cup late 80s/early 90s. The RFL could have had it sewn up back around 1970 when they held their first world cup, but as usual, their governing body was very slow off the mark.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So Argentina are victorious over Wales 29 - 17
To quote Windsor Davies from it ain't half hot mum
"Oh dear, how sad, never mind"

Missed the first half (forgot it was on) and the start of the second but caught the last 20 minutes or so and from my limited knowledge the Argies seemed to bossing the bits I watched. There's alway hope for England tomorrow

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm flabbergasted that this bloody competition is still not over. The football World Cup was played over less than a month and 68 games took place with the winners and runners up playing 7 games over that time. How the hell is this still going on?