• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rome, any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
As Wobbly has provided a new forum for us to post in, I thought i'd kick it off....

Me and the 'Bread Knife' are off to Rome in a few weeks, so, anybody been?

Wheres good to try and stay area wise?

Whats the public transport system like?

What are the transport links like to and from Ciampino Airport?

Cheers in advance

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Don't know if they still do it but few years back we paid about a fiver for a two day bus ticket that was a round robin of all the touristy sites. You just got on and off as you pleased and they ran about every 15 mins managed to do all the bits in two days...take longer if you can though we were rushed.

gray

Sergeant
As Wobbly has provided a new forum for us to post in, I thought i'd kick it off....

Me and the 'Bread Knife' are off to Rome in a few weeks, so, anybody been?

Wheres good to try and stay area wise?
As close to the centre as possible - Some good/cheap hotels near the Termini (main railway station)

Whats the public transport system like?
Quite good - lots of buses, can walk around most of the sites in a few hours though. They also have a metro system - 2 lines A/B.

What are the transport links like to and from Ciampino Airport?
There's a shuttle bus from Ciampino to the Termini (around 7 euros I think - Usually fly to Fiumicino).

It's going to be hot and crowded. Get up early if you want to see the Vatican Museum/Sisteen Chapel, doors close around 3. The queue can be enormous, but moves fairly well. Get to St Peters early too - the queues due to security can be long - Try and make it up to the top of the dome - lots of steps (500+), but worth it. Stay at the bar in the coffee shops, it's cheaper than sitting down. Wear comfy shoes (and no shorts/vests in the vatican area)

Watch out for pickpocket gypsy kids in the metro stations, not so bad as it used to be though. Try and avoid the touristy areas for food and drink, see where the locals go - ask in the hotel .
Haggle with the street vendors when they try and sell you crap souvenirs.

Think that's about it for now. Been there lots of time on courses in the area.

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Cheers in advance

Gray

Drove down in my Bruggen days, so not sure about the airport links. If your with the ball and chain I don't recommend Fawlty Towers Hostel near the train station. I had to stay there for the name & it was good value and a laugh.

It's easy to get around, I stayed in the centre and walked most of it. Not too great distances.

In the Forum there are FREE guided tours by students. Quite enjoyable, alternative look at a Roman Rome. They make their money by encouraging you to go on the evening tours.

If your going to the Vatican, its interesting, but lots and lots of walking around. Wednesday mornings the Pope does his audience, get there early, it's ALWAYS packed.

Enjoy your trip & don't let your missus near the shops. Loads of fashion labels all over the top!!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Avoid the tourist trap restaurants selling rubbish rip-off pizzas, as someone else said try and find the places the locals use. It's not the cheapest though either, but it is nice. We used to travel up from Gioia in the good old days when the RAF had nice dets. See if these help:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=357650&highlight=rome
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=354606&highlight=rome
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=369997&highlight=rome
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=403958&highlight=rome
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=440962&highlight=rome
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=431360&highlight=rome

Hope some of this helps mate.

Last edited:

Fearless Leader

Corporal
Don't know about places to stay as I was on a tour and the hotel was on the outskirts, would not recommend!

Rome itself was fantastic, the wife and me followed the Lonely Planet recommended walking tour from St Peters to the Colosseum. Saw lots of Rome and wasn't too hectic, particularly nice to see some 'real' Rome.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Most of the tourist bits are walkable from the coleseum which makes a nice central starting point (Railway station right next to it). We didn't use buses at all when we went in May just walked to all the bits we wanted to see. The place was packed with tourists and some sites whilst beautiful where hard to get at because of the crowds Trevi fountain was the worst.

Watch out for the cars and motorbikes in the city especially down the narrow back streets. Speed limits are at best advisory for Italians, They should drive on the right but will drive wherever theres a gap, Bikes will nip in and out of impossible places at speed. Even crossing the street is part of the experience they all drive like nutters. From the airport to the hotel our minibus driver had his mobile clamped to his ear with his shoulder whilst typing one handed on his lap top and using the other hand to drive, change gear, use the horn etc all at 120kmph on a dual carriageway the thing is that's not unusual.

M

mad_mo

I sent my folks on a supprise trip to Rome.

The only negative comment they had was watch your belongings, full of pickpockets. They had 2 attempted pickpocket incidents!.

M

Marc Xpand

Stunning place - absolutely stunning. I'm not a religious person but the churches and history really made me stand back in awe, gobsmackingly beautiful places!

One piece of advice, go to the Vatican EARLY! We got there about 2hours before the doors opened and where about 15th in the queue. Within 30mins, the queue had developed to over 200people, by opening, the queue was HUGE!

P

pie sandwich

Well 'When in Rome, do what the Romans do':pDT_Xtremez_30:

Hope that helps

B

Bunker Monkey

Rome travel Tips

Rome travel Tips

Dear MattBombHead,
I was down there in April, i did a lot of research before we went and basically watch your back, front, sides, top and bottom. The Rome pickpockets are faster than stealth weasels and have a list as long as your arm on ways to get your valubles.
keep anthing V&A hidden away or don't bring it out with you, some of the latest scams involve a Romany woman throwing a baby at you (Yep, you heard me right) and as you grab it, they grab your wallet! Luckily there are very few incidents involving violence in the city.
As the temp rises so does the risk as it reduces the ways you can hide your gear, best way i found was to wear multi pocket cargo trousers with various things stashed in different pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.