• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rise in House Buyers Allowance

L

Liney Hasbeen

A recent visit from the CinC personnel brought up the issue of a rise in the £8500 allowance towards the purchase of a house to £15000 or something around that area.

Any of you scribblies know any good solid info on it, he did say it would be early this year............ cheers all.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Last rumour I heard was exactly the opposite. I had heard that we are looking at loosing the allowance altogether.

Probably just a rumour though.

G

grumpy sumpy

A recent visit from the CinC personnel brought up the issue of a rise in the £8500 allowance towards the purchase of a house to £15000 or something around that area.

Any of you scribblies know any good solid info on it, he did say it would be early this year............ cheers all.

If true that would be fantastic news, £8500 is a laughable amount to put down on a house in death banana territory.
It makes too much sense to be true.
The powers that be, win because they can sell off the land and rid themselves the burden of subsidised housing.
Then again, I forget that we are mere oiks and cannot be trusted with that much money, I would certainly blow it all on crack and whores.

Last edited:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Then again, I forget that we are mere oiks and cannot be trusted with that much money, I would certainly blow it all on crack and whores.

See GS this is why we won't get a rise everybody knows there's no tax on crack and whores now if you'd said you'd spend it on fags and booze and an absurdly innefficient 4x4 then we might be in with a shout...

KingGuin

Sergeant
In Summer 2006 the Joint Service Housing Advice Office, through MOD, approached HM Treasury and suggested 30K would be a more realistic amount towards house purchase. While MOD agreed in principal, Treasury would not fund it. Having discussed this issue as with aforementioned Dept in the last few weeks, it remains very much on the backburner without any realistic hope of funding.

chiefy

Corporal
In Summer 2006 the Joint Service Housing Advice Office, through MOD, approached HM Treasury and suggested 30K would be a more realistic amount towards house purchase. While MOD agreed in principal, Treasury would not fund it. Having discussed this issue as with aforementioned Dept in the last few weeks, it remains very much on the backburner without any realistic hope of funding.

Some of what you say is true, the suggested amount of £30000 keeps popping up and I have heard it from a very high and reliable source, it is probably about right. I believe the fact that the treasury rejected this to be untrue. As I understand it this was the figure submitted to the Strategic Renumeration Package revue, their initial report is due out in May and final report and treasury acceptance etc in December. No-one is going to give you £30000 and say "there you go Jack, stop dripping and buy yourself a house" This advance is likely to come with some ties and if accepted the loss of other perks, perhaps the choice of either LSAP or CEA?

Either way we have to wait until at least May and probably December to find out, it has not been rejected by the treasury and the renumeration revue is referred to several times in this years AFPRB report.

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
Either way we have to wait until at least May and probably December to find out, it has not been rejected by the treasury and the renumeration revue is referred to several times in this years AFPRB report.

The May and Dec 07 dates, I take it, are from the following paragraph in the 2007 AFPRB report:
MOD’s Strategic Remuneration Review
[FONT=JJGGO J+ Stone Sans,Stone Sans]1.12 MOD briefed us in September 2006 on progress with its Strategic Remuneration Review which is examining the strategic rationale and effectiveness of the whole financial reward package in terms of recruiting, retaining and motivating sufficient, capable people to meet manning requirements. Initially the review has focused on two elements: measures to support MOD’s "mixed housing economy" (both Service provision and support for home ownership); and the "concept" of the whole remuneration structure. A "concept" paper would be produced by May 2007 with final proposals by December 2007

And the fact that, during their visits the AFPRB found that:

In this regard, personnel we met frequently commented on the Long Service Advance of Pay for house purchase – while new eligibility rules were welcomed, the level of £8,500 was universally considered insufficient.

However, the keys words are "concept" and "proposals" hghlighted above. Therefore, call me a cynic, but as I have no confidence in the Treasury and believe that, as KingGuin (I'd love to know how he decided to call himself KingGuin - something to do with Rockapes and Penguins?) states, it has already been rejected - it is just that the Treasury will never say so in so many words.

[/FONT]

KingGuin

Sergeant
The May and Dec 07 dates, I take it, are from the following paragraph in the 2007 AFPRB report:
MOD’s Strategic Remuneration Review
[FONT=JJGGO J+ Stone Sans,Stone Sans]1.12 MOD briefed us in September 2006 on progress with its Strategic Remuneration Review which is examining the strategic rationale and effectiveness of the whole financial reward package in terms of recruiting, retaining and motivating sufficient, capable people to meet manning requirements. Initially the review has focused on two elements: measures to support MOD’s "mixed housing economy" (both Service provision and support for home ownership); and the "concept" of the whole remuneration structure. A "concept" paper would be produced by May 2007 with final proposals by December 2007

And the fact that, during their visits the AFPRB found that:

In this regard, personnel we met frequently commented on the Long Service Advance of Pay for house purchase – while new eligibility rules were welcomed, the level of £8,500 was universally considered insufficient.

However, the keys words are "concept" and "proposals" hghlighted above. Therefore, call me a cynic, but as I have no confidence in the Treasury and believe that, as KingGuin (I'd love to know how he decided to call himself KingGuin - something to do with Rockapes and Penguins?) states, it has already been rejected - it is just that the Treasury will never say so in so many words.

[/FONT]

Dear Forgotten Name - you are a cynic! And you KNOW why I am named thus

FootTapper

Sergeant
Can anyone give me a link to find out more about House Buyers Allowance and LSAP - I've heard people talk of schemes to help mil first time buyers etc - but it's not something I've been able to get much Gen on

any pointers please?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Can someone please tell me why £8500 is not enough? I thougt that this was to cover a deposit. I bought my house after much scrimping and saving over a few years to get a deposit together and cover leagl fees etc. I did it without the HBA. I would have loved an extra £8500 to help, but I wasn't old enough at the time.
Try saving up over a few years and cut back on the big holidays and flash motors....... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Some of what you say is true, the suggested amount of £30000 keeps popping up and I have heard it from a very high and reliable source, it is probably about right. I believe the fact that the treasury rejected this to be untrue. As I understand it this was the figure submitted to the Strategic Renumeration Package revue, their initial report is due out in May and final report and treasury acceptance etc in December. No-one is going to give you £30000 and say "there you go Jack, stop dripping and buy yourself a house" This advance is likely to come with some ties and if accepted the loss of other perks, perhaps the choice of either LSAP or CEA?

That's what I heard too (from a medium-height reliable source). I expect the condition would be that we would get the £30K (I heard £25K, but whatever) but would never again be allowed to occupy MQs (unless overseas). This would also impact on entitlement to CEA; a net saving of £25K per year for up to 7 years in most cases.

KingGuin

Sergeant
That's what I heard too (from a medium-height reliable source). I expect the condition would be that we would get the £30K (I heard £25K, but whatever) but would never again be allowed to occupy MQs (unless overseas). This would also impact on entitlement to CEA; a net saving of £25K per year for up to 7 years in most cases.

TBJ a fairly accurate summary of the proposal; your source is well placed.

KingGuin

Sergeant
Can anyone give me a link to find out more about House Buyers Allowance and LSAP - I've heard people talk of schemes to help mil first time buyers etc - but it's not something I've been able to get much Gen on

any pointers please?

Google JSHAO Joint Service Housing Advice Office, there are links on there to answer all your questions. If you can get a hold of Housing Matters magazine you will be able to see the dates for their roadshows. If you are still stuck PM Me and I'll point you in the right direction.

G

Ginger beer

any pointers please?

FootTapper

It's in a JSP I think JSP 752 on defence intranet. I think its chapter 2. I'll look it up properly next week for you

chiefy

Corporal

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

You are a cynic! Normally I would share in your cynicism, I am after all a Chief! However on this occasion I can honestly say that the very high source is actually very very high. Interestingly he wasn't around my house having a beer or anything, he said this in a fairly public forum and could well face some backlash if nothing comes from it. As I said not sure of the numbers but £30K has been banged around, lots of ties and conditions which are aimed at retention (ie stay in or pay back) and parity with big business relocation allowances.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What if you took up this hypothetical deal whilst at Waddo then some years down the line you were posted to Northwood where a 3 bed semi costs circa £275000? No way of affording anywhere so what happens to the deal then...in theory?