• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Refund of Costs Following Assignment Cancellation

Mightierthan

Corporal
Ladies & Gents, I would be grateful for your collective experience regarding a refund of misc costs.

In a nutshell, I have a guy who was due to deploy OOA. Two days prior to his flight, being the switched on cookie that he was, he cancelled his car insurance and tax and obtained a SORN for his car. The next day - the day before his flight - his OOA was cancelled. Obviously he then had to re-insure and tax his car and made a net loss of nearly £70 on the deal.

Through his unit he put up a case to JPAC for reimbursement. They turned him down stating that the X-Factor, as detailed in JSP754 Section 2, Para 010202 and 010203, covers such 'turbulence'.

Now I don't think that the X-factor was created to reimburse people for monies lost like this, but is a compensatory payment because we experience turbulence, not because we may be out of pocket. However, I need something a bit more concrete than that to assist my man with his appeal. I can find nothing in any regs that allow for reimbursement of costs such as these at unit level, but if this guy had come to me at my unit, Iwould have refunded him without recourse to the JPAC.

I'm sure some of you will have come across situations like this before. Can you advise me how to take this forward, or is the JPAC right, and he just has to grin and bear the loss? Thank you!

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Ladies & Gents, I would be grateful for your collective experience regarding a refund of misc costs.

In a nutshell, I have a guy who was due to deploy OOA. Two days prior to his flight, being the switched on cookie that he was, he cancelled his car insurance and tax and obtained a SORN for his car. The next day - the day before his flight - his OOA was cancelled. Obviously he then had to re-insure and tax his car and made a net loss of nearly £70 on the deal.

Through his unit he put up a case to JPAC for reimbursement. They turned him down stating that the X-Factor, as detailed in JSP754 Section 2, Para 010202 and 010203, covers such 'turbulence'.

Now I don't think that the X-factor was created to reimburse people for monies lost like this, but is a compensatory payment because we experience turbulence, not because we may be out of pocket. However, I need something a bit more concrete than that to assist my man with his appeal. I can find nothing in any regs that allow for reimbursement of costs such as these at unit level, but if this guy had come to me at my unit, Iwould have refunded him without recourse to the JPAC.

I'm sure some of you will have come across situations like this before. Can you advise me how to take this forward, or is the JPAC right, and he just has to grin and bear the loss? Thank you!

Hasn't there just been a new law released a couple of months ago stating that even if your car is SORN you still need insurance for it? So he shouldn't have stopped his insurance and then wouldn't have lost anything. Also as the tax is worked out over a day to day basis he should be able to re-start it again not losing anything.

chutley

LAC
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is SORN.

As to financial compensation, the best route would be to submit a Service Complaint and follow it through to conclusion like a dog with a bone.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is SORN.

As to financial compensation, the best route would be to submit a Service Complaint and follow it through to conclusion like a dog with a bone.

You are right I just checked it out you dont. I thought when I watched the new adverts that you did and the insurance was to cover any theft of said vehicle. Other wise how would you be able to claim if it was stolen? Anyway......... hope he manages to get some pennies back..... though I wont hold my breath for it.

Mightierthan

Corporal
Hasn't there just been a new law released a couple of months ago stating that even if your car is SORN you still need insurance for it? So he shouldn't have stopped his insurance and then wouldn't have lost anything. Also as the tax is worked out over a day to day basis he should be able to re-start it again not losing anything.

You are totally wrong on both counts, as confirmed by the DVLA website. You do not have to have insurance with a SORN and car tax is refunded, and paid for, in complete months only.

Mightierthan

Corporal
You are totally wrong on both counts, as confirmed by the DVLA website. You do not have to have insurance with a SORN and car tax is refunded, and paid for, in complete months only.

Sorry, I think all our posts crossed in the ether - probably because I'm no longer in the Con Club, but am now in the Candybar dust bowl!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I think you will find that you are getting 2 rules intermixed.

SORN vehicles may not be kept on the Public Highway.

All vehicles on the Public Highway must be insured.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The X-Factor does include an element for the bu66eration that service personnel go through and whilst I would expect genuine costs such as having to cancel a boarding kennel for a pet or something similar to be looked at in a more positive way, you're probably onto a loser with this one in the current climate.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
He should just be happy his OOA was cancelled!

He could have cancelled his insurance and car tax on line once he'd arrived at his destination had the OOA gone ahead. Cancelling insurance is probably not the wisest thing to do anyway as the percentage refunded isn't pro rata.

Whilst I have some sympathy for him losing out, we all appreciate there is always the chance of OOA cancellation and/or changes and that is part of what makes up the X factor. I wouldn't expect a refund in the same position.

C

CC

Appeal against the PACCC response and take it to the next level and then, if that fails, submit a service complaint.

The PACCC these days are being complete CNUTS with all submissions. As far as I'm aware, the X factor is not there to compensate for issues like this.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
The individual concerned should have sent his SORN off when he had arrived OOA - particularly when he was part-way through a month. The SORN declaration is very clear in telling you that refunds are for whole months only.

As for cancelling insurance - I am amazed anyone would cancel their car insurance totally. Maybe downgrade it from Comprehensive to Fire & Theft only, but to cancel it totally is foolish in the extreme - what would have happened if it caught fire whilst he was away, or was stolen?