• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Redundancy Backpedal

Treehugger

Corporal
As I said, I personally know and work with a couple of the people I referred to in my first post. Whether Lcfcfox and the other doubters choose to believe me or not is immaterial. I empathise with your cynicism however; it is pretty incredible, even for the RAF. The only conclusion I can draw is that the redundancy programme has been an even bigger debacle than even the most world weary would have imagined. :pDT_Xtremez_21:

FootTapper

Sergeant
Sounds like blatant rumour mongering to me, some people got the wrong letter (Volunantary letter instead of Compulsory and vice versa) and have been asked if they want to change to the one they applied for (or not) but no-one getting a complete 180.

Err - nobody was offered or took voluntary redundancy. All redundancies were compulsory.

So I guess your "Rumour busting" is a little flawed...

iainrm

Corporal
I've seen this happen in the civilian world too and this was a striaght " we have cancelled your redundancy, sorry" and that was with some very generous terms. Which some had already started spending.

You can imagine how popular that was.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Apart from those who volunteered I suppose...

Off TopicNope, they were applicants for compulsory redundancy. It's a subtle but important difference. Off Topic

Waddo had the second highest number of non-applicant redundancies of any unit in this tranche and we haven't had any of those overturned to date. We've also been told that the chances of any of the appeals against redundancy being approved are negligible. All of which suggests that, no matter how many PVRs have been submitted this month, no redundees have been asked to stay in.

The bottom line is we will be shedding 5000 personnel and posts between now and 2015 using a number of manning levers, of which redundancy is only one. A high rate of PVRs at this stage means only that we will achieve that reduction with fewer redundancies than may otherwise have been necessary. I'm sure the cynics will say that was the plan all along...

wonder how long it will be before PVR waiting times are back up to 12 and 18 months.....(disclaimer they may already be i don't know as i've been out a while)

C

CC

wonder how long it will be before PVR waiting times are back up to 12 and 18 months.....(disclaimer they may already be i don't know as i've been out a while)

Usually, it only goes back to 12 or 18 months after the final redundancy tranche.......when all those that wanted redundancy didn't get it.............give it 12 months :pDT_Xtremez_42:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I know one person who has been asked "If given the option not to be made redundant, would you take it?". I haven't heard of any actually being given the option yet. The figure of 77 PVRs sounds too high but there is a huge manning gap coming up. Experience levels are dire at the moment, and I'm not sure if the lads coming through have had the depth of training to consolidate what experience they have got. It's going to be an interesting few years.

Dazzy26

Corporal
Off Topic, at a high level safety meeting recently, an AVM asked the very serious question of how can the RAF reverse the unsustainable loss of experience within the ground trades!!! When people looked at him shaking their heads he added ' and I mean quickly'!! Sums our leaders up entirely me thinks!

Last edited:

XICONAN

LAC
If you have done over 22 can you give 12 months notice?

I have just given six months notice on PVR, having completed 26 years and failed to get voluntary redundancy. Glad to be getting out, the RAF is up Sh~t creek without a paddle and some idiot has just opened the flood gates!

K

Kenny629

You're not wrong, at my I've just left recently and from my camp there are 10 other sac(t) leaving, all the same trade, with us goes all of the experience. The warrant has sent emails to manning to stop sending lac through to replace sac(t) and basically told there aren't enough! Its really bad news! Not for me though cos I'm moving to oz:pDT_Xtremez_19:

E

enginesuck

Off Topic, at a high level safety meeting recently, an AVM asked the very serious question of how can the RAF reverse the unsustainable loss of experience within the ground trades!!! When people looked at him shaking their heads he added ' and I mean quickly'!! Sums our leaders up entirely me thinks!

Well least its on the table for discussion, he is right to worry about it and it does need to be looked at quickly, On my Squadron we have lost four of our best, SAC(T) to the oil industry on one desk alone. We were supplemented by another disbanded Sqns manpower and their SAC(T) if not PVRing now are time-ex in the next 12 -18 months as they cant sign on to 15. Why they havent been promoted already is baffling TBH. Their replacements are fresh out of the Box AMMS who with the best will in the world arent going to be able to operate at the required standard for a good couple of years.

Bignick

Corporal
I have just given six months notice on PVR, having completed 26 years and failed to get voluntary redundancy. Glad to be getting out, the RAF is up Sh~t creek without a paddle and some idiot has just opened the flood gates!

Exactly the same here, 26 years in (12 Nov 85) and PVR'd, never felt morale this bad, not even in the late 80's when every man and his dog was bangin' out. Upper echelons must be grateful that the economy is on its ar$e or the exodus would be a whole lot worse. I've said it before on this site, the plight of the techie has got worse and worse over the years and there is going to be a penalty to pay for not looking after them better.

Bignick

Corporal
You're not wrong, at my I've just left recently and from my camp there are 10 other sac(t) leaving, all the same trade, with us goes all of the experience. The warrant has sent emails to manning to stop sending lac through to replace sac(t) and basically told there aren't enough! Its really bad news! Not for me though cos I'm moving to oz:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Off Topic I'm off to Oz too mate, where are you settling? I'm also a GT(M)

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Good engineering staff will find work outside; there is a shortage of qualified and experienced engineers in many key industries. Don't let the 'economy' fears dissuade you from pulling the yellow and black if you're not happy.

Just be flexible and think outside the box a little.