• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reaching warrant officer

matty1012

LAC
Hi all,

I was just wondering how long roughly it takes to reach the rank of warrant officer.

I know it is promotion on merit but if you pass all your assessments etc what time frame could you be looking at from SAC, Corporal, Sgt, F Sgt, Warrant officer.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Hi all,

I was just wondering how long roughly it takes to reach the rank of warrant officer.

I know it is promotion on merit but if you pass all your assessments etc what time frame could you be looking at from SAC, Corporal, Sgt, F Sgt, Warrant officer.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Depends on what Trade you are.

In aircraft trades you can expect it to be 30+ years!

Last edited:

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
For a non-aircraft trade I reckon if promotion flow is good at all the right times, you're a good candidate and you have good reporting officers that can write good assessments it could be done in 15 years but realistically I think anyone would be lucky to do it in less than 20 years.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
There are very very few personnel who make WO within 20 years, and in my 25 years, I've never yet met one who made it in 15.

25-30 years is the average time. The technical trades have 2 extra ranks to pass through, although there are still WO's in TG1 that are under 50 or have done less than 30 years, proving that if you are good enough, you'll get promoted quickly. The SWO at my last unit being an example of this - he was a WO well before he was 50 and he was TG1.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Not only does it depend on Trade, it also depends when you joined up, different cycles of promotion, options for chance etc.

For some people it may be possible for TG1 to make WO within the 22 year period.

But what then, I can see more negatives than positives of a WO in rank for 15 years.

D

dozyscopie1

TG12-fast track controller after 3yrs as SAC. WO in 15years. :pDT_Xtremez_14:
There are a few.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I know one of the 0.1% that made it to Chief with 9 years left to 22.

Ex Appo/Supertech/DE or the like I would imagine.

Those entry routes are all closed now, Chief before your 22 is doable under the new entrant schemes, but not common I would think. No way anybody will make Warrant by 22 in TG1 under the current scheme.