• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raf Trf

F

Fablon biff chit

The Helpful Stacker said:
Funnily enough the matter of the LAC rank draws me to my other pet hate of rank disparity between the RAF/Army. Why not make LAC a proper rank with SAC/SAC(T) (I haven't included JT's as the old ones will be dead soon enough or promoted ;) ) as a timed or course dependant promotion, similar to the way L/Cpl is awarded and with equal status? LAC was a proper rank once upon a time.

Again, another good idea. LAC was a proper rank but SAC didn't exist at the time (pre 1950).

Nowadays the LAC rank is like L plates, wear for a year and discard, even though some do the year and are still idiots. I agree, make it a rank like the rest - as currently it is like a sea of SAC rank slides! This would go some way towards dividing highly experienced 10 year SACs and wet-behind-the-ears 18 month SACs.

R

reddeathdrinker

It would make sense if they issued us DPM rank slides for our CS95, as we wear the bloody stuff more often than not these days.

I'm putting off getting the big "Royal Air Farce" numberplates on my CS95 for as long as possible. If the really shiny SAC Tech wheel doesn't give me away as Air force, a subdued numberplate certainly wont.

What is it with these new issue "shiny" rank slides anyway?

P

POB

It would make sense if they issued us desert DPM rank slides for our CS95, as many wear that bloody stuff more often than not these days!

Are there any desert rank slides/number plates available?

Weren't the new shiny badges very quickly procured last year after shock headlines in the press proclaiming that the RAF would grind to a halt as it had no rank slides to issue? Can't remember the exact details but along the lines of -

"More failures in supply system" - Daily Mail
"Officers not getting saluted due rank badge order farse" - Grauniad
"New order for RAF rank badges helps local economy" - China News Daily
"Massive success for new RAF badge ordering system" - Bliars Daily Mirror

C

cockneyrock

Please, no more badges.

I am sat here in my office avoiding doing any work and can count 5 x RAF target indicators on my uniform. I do not want any more thanks.

T

Twonston Pickle

I agree with the "hold off on the Royal Air Farce badges" arguement. When wearing DPM (green or desert), our beret badges give it away - to those who need to know anway - any additional badges just attract more ridicule. Why don't we just get the roundel plastered on everything, for ferks sake.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Twonston Pickle said:
I agree with the "hold off on the Royal Air Farce badges" arguement. When wearing DPM (green or desert), our beret badges give it away - to those who need to know anway - any additional badges just attract more ridicule. Why don't we just get the roundel plastered on everything, for ferks sake.

Because the Lambretta Clothing company will sue you for using their trademark! :D

T

Twonston Pickle

Norman,

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but, since you mention it, the trademark does not actually belong to anyone as it is not actually a trademark. The RAF had spent some time in court with the Arcadia Group (high street stores, top-shop etc) and the court decided that the RAF had no right to ban the use of the roundel by others, despite being formed many years before the commercial groups started.

I await the great debate on intellectual property/trademarks etc. Back to the original point, we have a means of indentifying the RAF - the beret badges.