• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raf Trf

M

M_for_Mother

RAF TACTICAL RECOGNITION FLASH

The army utilises a system of TRFs to identify it's units & corps. This has a number of advantages, not least the great contribution they provide to unit cohesion.

The RAF wanted a similar method to identify it's personnel, but we ended up with a number plate-sized patch that reads 'ROYAL AIR FORCE', as if you were wondering!! This was originally option b, but the CAS thought that 'IDIOT' would be unclear when worn with Webbing.

What I want to know is: Are there enough Goaters out there who want to see a RAF TRF, (The same colour set-up that you get on a RAF Stable Belt)?

Who's with me?...TRF!...TRF!...TRF!

MFM

F

Fablon biff chit

Is the TRF definatley canned? I recall reading a poster in my clothing stores that said it was to be introduced. Personally I'd rather see a name badge above the pocket and either black-on-olive Albatross a la No 1's, or a aircraft outline like Army air dispatchers have (they have a dakota silhouette.)

logoairdesp.jpg

Stax

Flight Sergeant
There was a letter on this subject a couple of RAF News' ago. I think it was the Det WO from Basra. He pointed out that whilst the "Royal Air Force" flash is OK, when you are wrapped up in ECBA, Windproofs etc you can't actually see it. If we had a TRF on the arm (as per the Army,RM etc) it would be more easily identifiable. The RAF Regt wear "DZ" patches on their field jackets and shirts, thus making it easy to see which Sqn you belong too. A muted maroon/sky blue/royal blue patch, similar to the UJ we get on CS95 would be preferable. However, regardless of what badges people want, we need to realise that CS95 is meant to be sterile, so anything that is attached should be easily removable. Just my opinion (oh, and don't I have an opinion on most subjects hee, hee, hee!)

F

Fablon biff chit

Stax said:
CS95 is meant to be sterile, so anything that is attached should be easily removable.

What exactly are you giving away by wearing the patch though? That you are in the RAF? Hardly a shocker! By wearing the unifrom it marks you as a forces member...

If it needs removing, velcro it!

I quite often found whilst building sandcastles that the same people that wanted an RAF TRF were the same ones who wanted the RAF to issue DPM rank slides.

So let me get this right, you want a DPM rank slide for a part of your body that can't be seen beneath your ECBA but you want a nice colourful TRF for your arm?

Hmmmm.

BTW, the 'Royal Air Force' badges aren't scaled or authorised to be worn on DDPM clothing. It appeared that some folk in Iraq knew this and decided to buy their own RAF TRF patches from Millets or something instead, patches that were about the size of a DZ flash. Must say (being the clothing reg nerd I am) that I've never seen this abomination of a badge authorised for wear either.

If you want a uniform chocka with badges join the Boy Scouts or if the requirements form them are too high, the Army.

M

M_for_Mother

Good debate guys.

I don't think anyone is trying to get a multitude of badges issued for wear on CS95, I think that the main problem is that many RAF personnel overseas are largely NFU and want a symbol to identify them in the joint environment. Being proud of the RAF, I don't think its unreasonable to ask for our colours to be worn on our uniform, rather than the hideous RAF chest badge.

We can always remove it if we need to sterilise ourselves, but its not really going to prevent an OPSEC leak if you get captured, personally I'd tell them everything I knew just to avoid an Al Queda gang-party on my behind!

I'm not encouraging personnel to depart from the dress regs, Helpful Stacker, I just want to see how many of us would like to see the regs changed. If it detracts from your personal perversion, I do not own a pair of DPM ranks slides and I have never been in the boyscouts, although I have seen your daughter's Woggle!

MFM

My daughter is 2 years old. :mad:

I have nothing against DPM ranks slides BTW. If they were issued to RAF personnel it'd make more sense to also have the 'Royal Air Force' badges or a TRF.

As it is we already have a blue rank slide and a blue/grey beret with RAF cap badge to show we are RAF. Ok, if we are wearing our S6 helmets then we only have a rank slide but its still a blue one, something not worn by our chums in the RN or Army.

M

M_for_Mother

sorry old chap, couldn't resist the Boy Scout joke! :D

The fact remains that, whether wearing an S6, CBA & webbing/assault vest or just plain CS 95, we need to display a symbol that the Army can recognise. After all, air/land integration appears to be the big thing at STC this week.

An Air Force of 41,000 cannot really afford to declare UDI and do our own thing when the common drive is to standardise.

MFM

Oh I agree, an official TRF would be preferable to the 'Royal Air Force' badges, which I believe were mainly brought in as a response to the media labelling anyone they saw in CS95 during Op Fresco as 'Army'.

To be honest though where would it stop? The unit I'm currently at is part of JHC so we have to wear natty little lightning bolt wielding ****e hawks badges on our CS95. Would we also have to wear an RAF TRF? Then there is the cost of tailoring to think about.

As it stands I'm authorised to wear three extra badges after the UJ, para, RAF number plate and ****e hawk (I only wear two but thats another discussion). Every time I replace a CS95 shirt (quite often due to their poor durability) all these badges need re-applying at the cost I believe of about 60p per badge. On top of this if the badges are continuously re-used they start to look tatty and unfortunately (in the case of the RAF badges) there wasn't sufficient money in the initial purchase budget to buy a surplus for replacement issue.

I propose that we bin the 'RAF' number plate badge and replace it with the originally planned TRF. Not only will a TRF be cheaper but we will also fall into line with the thinking of the rest of the Armed Forces (RN are introducing a TRF at the moment), something that jointery is supposed to be all about.

F

Fablon biff chit

The Helpful Stacker said:
I quite often found whilst building sandcastles that the same people that wanted an RAF TRF were the same ones who wanted the RAF to issue DPM rank slides.

The issue of blue on green rank slides is purely one that the current standard looks crap - even neglected! The RAF has long ignored the green side of things IMO and standard blue rank slides on camoflauge just looks as though the higher ups have given it no thought. Hence people seeking out thier own rank slides.

F

Fablon biff chit

As it stands I'm authorised to wear three extra badges after the UJ, para, RAF number plate and ****e hawk (I only wear two but thats another discussion).
are you the 2 Sqn stacker? :) The regiment lads look daft with 2 mudguard type badges, the RAF badge, and in the case of officers RAF REGIMENT on the rank slide also!

I propose that we bin the 'RAF' number plate badge and replace it with the originally planned TRF.

I can't see that happening after all the things have just been introduced!

After all, in this new era of the Green Air Force, we need something to be distinguished from the masses, and unfortunatley it seems to be another bun fight.

In case you missed my second from last comment Trick400 I actually said I have no problem with DPM rank slides if they were issued.

The problem is, as you state, ..hence people seeking out their own rank slides.. There is no standard rank slide so every one invents their own. All manner of sub-unit names at the bottom (TSW, TCW, TMW, RAF Fire and Rescue FFS!) at the bottom, different colour rank (black, brown or other), different sizes and fonts of writing on them, green slides rather than DPM, the list goes on. We are members of a uniformed organisation and our uniform should be just that.

Generally most folk seem happy with wearing the CS95 (Army issue) style slides so why doesn't the RAF just procure the additional ranks of SAC and JT (LAC's aren't in rank long enough to worry about IMO) to add to this?

are you the 2 Sqn stacker?

No I most certainly am not, though I do feel sorry for any stacker who is informed that 2 Sqn is his next posting.

Last edited:
M

M_for_Mother

Can anyone confirm or deny the rumours on this thread?

Are we to have a TRF or was it discontinued in favour of the number plate?

MFM

F

Fablon biff chit

Generally most folk seem happy with wearing the CS95 (Army issue) style slides so why doesn't the RAF just procure the additional ranks of SAC and JT (LAC's aren't in rank long enough to worry about IMO) to add to this?

I understand this is underway. I had an email from a Sgt at Innsworth about it as I submitted one of those feedback forms (U need 2 know - what happened to those??) and all NCO ground trades are having them made up. However he also said they would be subject to authorisation by your CO once scaled for issue....

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts

Most people? I think you will find most peole prefer to wear the blue, gash job diverter rank tabs when working in a joint environment :D

P

pinkster

S6

S6

Thats funny I thought an S6 was a respirator from the late 80's and not somwthing you put on your head, I think you mean a MK6.

Last edited:

Stax

Flight Sergeant
No I most certainly am not, though I do feel sorry for any stacker who is informed that 2 Sqn is his next posting.

Actually Helpful, if you do a good job on No 2 baloon Sqn, they look after you. I worked alongside them for a while and they made sure their stacker didn't get ferked about by anyone, its a matter of attitude. As to DPM ranks slides, they are supposed to be on issue in the near future. The Regt gave up 2 issue T-Shirts to fund the CS95 rank tabs ones for them. The only problem will be if they are going to provide SAC/JT/Steering wheels for issue to the troops. If it isn't cost effective then I doubt it.

Let me add this to the "badge" arguement. Why, now that we are phasing out JT's, do we need LAC/SAC/Steering wheel ranks. The actual rank before Cpl is Airman, the badges are attainments for passing courses/TAT's etc. Why not get rid of them completely as the Army do. Controversial? lets see.

F

Fablon biff chit

Stax said:
Let me add this to the "badge" arguement. Why, now that we are phasing out JT's, do we need LAC/SAC/Steering wheel ranks. The actual rank before Cpl is Airman, the badges are attainments for passing courses/TAT's etc. Why not get rid of them completely as the Army do. Controversial? lets see.

You know, that's not a bad idea at all!

I don't think many SAC's would want to be considered Privates. Although in rank they are the same the responsibility given to SAC's when compared to a Private is generally higher. Also the rank of LAC at present is used to differentiate those Airmen/women who can't be trusted on their own from those who generally can.

Funnily enough the matter of the LAC rank draws me to my other pet hate of rank disparity between the RAF/Army. Why not make LAC a proper rank with SAC/SAC(T) (I haven't included JT's as the old ones will be dead soon enough or promoted ;) ) as a timed or course dependant promotion, similar to the way L/Cpl is awarded and with equal status? LAC was a proper rank once upon a time.