• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Transformation Team

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
What is the point of this team? As far as anyone can tell its a bunch of highly paid wing commanders and a groupie sitting around trying to co-ordinate the efforts of the various station and MOD transformation teams, without the requisite subject matter knowledge to understand what can truly potentially be achieved.

If they were charged with reviewing the management structure of the RAF and changing the ridiculous imbalance which has left us with one officer for less than every 3 airman, they might have some point. Otherwise its job creation that perpetuates said problem.

Anyone from this team got the minerals to come on here and justify their existance? Thought not.

[Rant mode off]

mick-a-nick

Corporal
Another team that already knows the problem but will come up with a solution to another non-existant problem. It would be refreshing to have a supplement of 'old long in the tooth' WO's to tell them actualy how it is. A WO with 'fast track' ambitions would be of no use, an old realist is what should be the criteria. Well that will only happen when pigs learn to fly.
I am rapidly becoming cynical, as time passes the plethora of 'New ides' all fail to address the issues. When will the current board rea;ise that there are real problems to address without creating others.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
What is the point of this team? As far as anyone can tell its a bunch of highly paid wing commanders and a groupie sitting around trying to co-ordinate the efforts of the various station and MOD transformation teams, without the requisite subject matter knowledge to understand what can truly potentially be achieved.

If they were charged with reviewing the management structure of the RAF and changing the ridiculous imbalance which has left us with one officer for less than every 3 airman, they might have some point. Otherwise its job creation that perpetuates said problem.

Anyone from this team got the minerals to come on here and justify their existance? Thought not.

[Rant mode off]

That's it those idiots have well p155ed me off now I've no spares and no manpower and a support triangle that thinks I should do it's job for them . NOW wing commanders get groupies next they'll want a tour bus and roadies FFS. I bet they're putting in rock star expense claims as well ....Gits.... Wing commanders they're the pits... How many Wings are there? and How many Wings?

Chilliboy

SAC
Quite a few years back I looked at a copy of the RAF News. In the promotions section there were 14 TG1 Cpls promoted to Sgt and 37 Wing Commanders promoted to Gp Captain. What sort of message does that send?

I do find it 'amusing' though that our mileage allowance has decreased because 'modern cars are more fuel efficient'. Don't bother taking account of the huge increase of fuel prices or servicing costs however.

Talking of LEAN, I am more highly qualified as a Lecky (C&G 2381 and 2391) than any of the EMCOR people on Camp yet I am not allowed to change a fluorescent tube in my office. We have to wait several weeks for a Works Service to be put in and completed. There's progress and value for money for you!

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Talking of LEAN, I am more highly qualified as a Lecky (C&G 2381 and 2391) than any of the EMCOR people on Camp yet I am not allowed to change a fluorescent tube in my office. We have to wait several weeks for a Works Service to be put in and completed. There's progress and value for money for you!

Not anymore, 2381 is now defunct with the advent of the 17th edition, isn't it?

Chilliboy

SAC
Not anymore, 2381 is now defunct with the advent of the 17th edition, isn't it?

Not until 1 July 2008 which is when the 17th edition regs come into effect. Anyone with 2381 can take a conversion exam to get C&G 2382 rather than the full course.

It's an open book multi choice exam though so anybody should be able to pass it.

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant

Do tell me how that has anything to do with Lean. Unless of course there has been a Lean event that has extended the lead time for processing and resolving a work service. I suspect it has nowt to do with Lean, more that maintenance tasks are sub contracted and if you were to cherry pick to do the easiest tasks in house, they'd want more money per work service.

Whilst Lean is blamed for all the ills of the service and associated with any form of cut, it is an overused term that often has nothing to do with it. Unless a Lean study and subsequent transformation event has taken place, whatever whinge is levied cannot be truly caused by the Lean process. Of course that won't stop ill informed ruperts bandying the term about because its the buzzword (or scapegoat) of the moment, it may just mean they are using it as a smoke screen to cover their own poor decision making.

D

DE Scumbag

Quite a few years back I looked at a copy of the RAF News. In the promotions section there were 14 TG1 Cpls promoted to Sgt and 37 Wing Commanders promoted to Gp Captain. What sort of message does that send?

I do find it 'amusing' though that our mileage allowance has decreased because 'modern cars are more fuel efficient'. Don't bother taking account of the huge increase of fuel prices or servicing costs however.

You're confusing ranting at lean with ranting at Health & Safety there my boy!

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
Actually I suspect you're right. Has a risk assessment been carried out for you doing that task? Do you have a BS approved ladder to do it with? Have you been provided with the correct PPE to do it?

What the MoD does it sub-contract all that out, so they don't have to bother with the risk and can't get sued. So if the sub-conny turns up with a Lidl £15 ladder falls off it whilst changing the tube, cuts his arm on the broken glass and gets bits in his eyes from the implosion; well he won't be using the RAF med centre facilities, nor will he be able to sue.

I

Isis

[Rant mode off]

Back on track - I've recently been a part of a VSA with the team. Now admittedly there are some bad points, however, as a very lowly type I got the chance to make my voice heard at the top. Now the chances are they'll ignore what I've said about grass roots level and do their own thing anyway but I'm going to allow some time to pass and see if any improvements come of the "event" before I say it was a complete waste.

rhino

LAC
eh hmmmm

eh hmmmm

Actually.... they can sue you and very probably will.

Actually I suspect you're right. Has a risk assessment been carried out for you doing that task? Do you have a BS approved ladder to do it with? Have you been provided with the correct PPE to do it?

What the MoD does it sub-contract all that out, so they don't have to bother with the risk and can't get sued. So if the sub-conny turns up with a Lidl £15 ladder falls off it whilst changing the tube, cuts his arm on the broken glass and gets bits in his eyes from the implosion; well he won't be using the RAF med centre facilities, nor will he be able to sue.