• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Regiment promotion path

Hi guys sorry to bore everyone and don't worry I have attempted the search bar option for my question. Not to get ahead of myself but I was wondering if anybody could give me a time scale on a realistic promotion timescale in the RAF Regiment please? I'll be starting from the bottom
I know there is no definitive answer but what would a realistic first 1-3 years look like?
Thanks for all advice so far cheers Scotsman

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
Yous better listen in cos ims tru rock and nails. 5 miler of death is nails when yous done it yous stands nose to nose wiv loser Paras and storm tosser Marines.

ERT

Corporal
Induction to AS2 - 12 months (Trade Ability Tests part 1 dependent)
AS2 to AS1 - 12 months minimum, completion of Phase 2 Trg and TATs pt 2 dependent
AS1 to Cpl. 3-4 years Appraisals with a "Rec" minimum on the last and a bum hole unsullied by a mortar plate.

Incorrect.

RAF Regiment now have the rank of L/Cpl, this itself has a promotion board.

If its 12 months training - That's 1 year.
If its 12 months for SAC (now AS1) = That's 1 year.
If its 3x SJARs from SAC (now AS1) to L/Cpl - That's 3 years.
If its 3x SJARs from L/Cpl to Cpl - That's another 3 years.

Total to Cpl = 8 years..

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Incorrect.

RAF Regiment now have the rank of L/Cpl, this itself has a promotion board.

If its 12 months training - That's 1 year.
If its 12 months for SAC (now AS1) = That's 1 year.
If its 3x SJARs from SAC (now AS1) to L/Cpl - That's 3 years.
If its 3x SJARs from L/Cpl to Cpl - That's another 3 years.

Total to Cpl = 8 years..
Not terribly attractive, is it?

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Just to throw a spanner in the works, there is the Below the Zone initiative.

I wrote on one SAC(T) /AS1(T) who was successful in promotion to Cpl after only 2 SJARs using the BTZ.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yous better listen in cos ims tru rock and nails. 5 miler of death is nails when yous done it yous stands nose to nose wiv loser Paras and storm tosser Marines.
I wonder what the promotion path looked like for such a gifted young gunner? 😀

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
realistic promotion timescale in the RAF Regiment please?
In general terms, across all trades not just RAF Regiment, promotion time is very fluid. There are many factors for example your individual peformance at the task when graded against others, the shortage or glut of suitable candidates to select from when the promotion board sits etc, etc. The better guys will get there earlier and ahead of the curve, the less capable will take longer (if they even get there at all).

How long does it take to get promoted is right up there with how long is a piece of string