• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Medical Appeal EVIDENCE

Hello guys and girls,

I am in the process of joining the RAF as an Aircraft Maintenance Mechanic (AMM). I passed my AST and interview for my selected trade, however, I have hit an obsticle with my medical.
I failed my medical due to a small pocket of fluid on my left knee, I had said that I was taking some anti-inflammatory medication to ease some of the swelling. I don't get any pain from the knee, only a dull ache from time to time.
Now bitterly disappointed, I wanted to get this problem sorted as I passed everything else on the medical.
This was about a month ago and so far I have had an x-ray which revealed no problems with joints, bones or ligaments. I was referred to a physiotherapist and decided to go private (don't want to wait 4 months for my first appointment). So far I have been attending physio for 4 weeks and all seems to be going well with the swelling reducing slightly.
I have asked my physiotherapist for a supporting letter along with documentation from the original consultation plus a paper copy of the x-ray taken. To add to this I will be writing my own letter for the appeal explaining everything.
What I wanted to ask was, do you think this is enough evidence to support my appeal? and with it, do you think I have a good chance of being successful?

Any insight or help will be appreciated

Thanks

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
We're pretty desperate at the moment, I'm surprised they didn't take you with a leg hanging off.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Knee injuries are a common injury in the RAF, and such an injury generally stops people from deploying and also from doing their beep test, which is a big thing in the RAF. People also leave and get compensation for knee injuries sustained whilst on duty.

Perhaps you could include in your letter an acknowledgement that you had a problem, have a dull ache, and any such recurrence would not be attributable to the RAF.

I can understand why he failed me, considering the fact that I hadn't had any x-rays. However, based on the evidence i have gathered, what are my chances of success?

MattBombHead

Sergeant
The only people who can answer that question are Dept Occupational Medicine at Cranwell (who your appeal with go to). Everything else is pure speculation.