• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Hospitals

S92

LAC
All the press coverage recently on the lack of Service Hospitals should remind all those of us of a certain age that we used to have a superb system of Service Hospitals before "THEY" got rid of them.
Thinking specifically of RAF hospitals, I (completed 38 years service last November) remember:
Nocton Hall (had my first in service jabs there on a day trip from Swinderby)
Wroughton (had my "chop op" there)
Halton (daughter was born there)
Ely (visited only)
Where have I forgotten?

And never once was I given anything less than superb service.

G

gemarriott

both my kids born in Wegburg. One 7 weeks premature and touch and go through the night but they kept him alive

All the press coverage recently on the lack of Service Hospitals should remind all those of us of a certain age that we used to have a superb system of Service Hospitals before "THEY" got rid of them.
Thinking specifically of RAF hospitals, I (completed 38 years service last November) remember:
Nocton Hall (had my first in service jabs there on a day trip from Swinderby)
Wroughton (had my "chop op" there)
Halton (daughter was born there)
Ely (visited only)
Where have I forgotten?

And never once was I given anything less than superb service.

the list looks complete to me mate, and i fully agree with you. mind you i got the "chop" at halton

S

scaleywife

There were more than just Wegberg in BFG I think.... but one that still exists (just) is TPMH at Akrotiri!

Gillo

Banned
Cosford also had a hospital and there was an RAFWH during Gulf War 1 (great place to fight a war from he he).

My Son received brillant treatment in Weberg when he had Meningitus and I think the Army ran a hospital in Hannover?.

PS It was the Tories who got rid of Mil hospitals during Options for change.

dkh51250

Sergeant
Forgot about Cosford. Kitted it out for a R.O.C. summer camp just after it had closed in 1978 I think.

I do remeber it being red hot because they could not turn the central heating off in case it collapsed. It had been on since the day it was opened, and left on until we came to reoccupy it.

In addition to Hanover there was a BMH at Munster and another at Rinteln.

T93

Sergeant
RAF Hospitals

I remember RAFH Nocton Hall. Lovely old hall. I vaguely remember the sharp bend on the road in the village leading upto the hospital.

Halton another One I remember.

RAFH Wroughton: I was taken from my base in the wilds of Northern Scotland to be part of the guard force. If I remember correctly, It was for a Two week period. I remember the guys on the barrier stopping some double deck bus and demanding IDs etc....It only happened once, as we were politely informed that it was not the done thing at Wroughton.

NAAFI bop was good at Wroughton!

Soupdragon

Piermaster
I spent a couple of weeks reclining at leisure in the RNH in Gibraltar. Naval nurses in starched white uniforms mmmmmmhhh

G

grumpyoldb

Mrs Grumpy MK1 was a nurse at Ely. What a nightmare.............!:pDT_Xtremez_31:

I had to have an op not long after the closure of most of the hospitals. I went to the military wing of Peterborough hospital. Bit odd to stroll through the NHS area, full of depressed people, turn a corner and be faced with everyone in uniform.

Op went alright though so musn't grumble...

:pDT_Xtremez_31:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
You have all forgotten the still open RAF Hospital TPMH on Akrotiri

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
NAAFI bop was good at Wroughton!

5 girls to every boyyyyyyyyy! Happy days!
Best guard duty I have ever done. Even got issued an SMG because there were not enough SLRs go around.
Thought I was cool as feck at the time because only WRAFS & SNCOs used to get them!

St Athan had a hospital too. It was where the golf course is now.

More recently was RAFH Thumrait in the Saif Sarrea/early days of Afghanistan era.

There's a list of RAF Hospitals in the back of Sky Wards (a good read!), I'll try and dig it out this evening.

T93

Sergeant
I could be wrong.

I could be wrong.

I stand to be corrected. I believe thier was a RAFH at Turnhouse and/or RAF Carlisle in the early 80s.