• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Groundcrew left behind

Hi I'm Andy, I'm serving in the RAF on a harrier sqn as a fairy/pan trash and am looking to start writing a book. (i get bored trying to spend all my techie pay)
I am interested of hearing about any stories/memories of the instances of RAF groundcrew left behind in France during 1940 when many aircraft left bases in France to return to U.K. leading up to and during the Dunkirk evacuation.
Many thanks
Snagbuster

Last edited:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I am interested of hearing about any stories/memories of the instances of RAF groundcrew left behind in France during 1940 when aircraft left bases in France to return to U.K. leading up to and during the Dunkirk evacuation.
Many thanks
Snagbuster

How about a quick intro first then dude ?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Dunno about France. I know 33 Sqn used to have a "Crete" day for remembering when the aircrew boogered off and left the groundcrew to the enemy in Crete during WW2.

P

POB

If you are on IVSqn, then you may want to investigate the yellow lightning strike through the colours...I was always told that it was for abandoning their ground crew. Could just be a bad rumour started by III though!

W

wgaf

If you are on IVSqn, then you may want to investigate the yellow lightning strike through the colours...I was always told that it was for abandoning their ground crew. Could just be a bad rumour started by III though!
Depends who you talk to POB, ground crew always say it's for abandoning the ground crew in France in the 1st world war, however I've also been told it's something to do with IV Sqn being one of the first sqdns to use radios in their aircraft. Which one is true I doubt will ever be truely known.
Snagbuster if you want to write a book how about checking the internet out instead of getting us to do your leg work ::p:

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
That's the one I was told about I think - Shiney or *****y depending on how you see it.

...... that was why they were banned from serving UK until they were rehabilitated by them becoming one of the first Phantom squadron with the best the Fighting 54th!

C

Chuffybum

...... that was why they were banned from serving UK until they were rehabilitated by them becoming one of the first Phantom squadron with the best the Fighting 54th!

Ahah!! Someone who agrees with me. I mentioned this on anther thread and some punter got a right old strop on about it.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Ahah!! Someone who agrees with me. I mentioned this on anther thread and some punter got a right old strop on about it.

Said punter just happens to be the IC of the Canopener's History room and does happen to known what he is talking about. The only groundcrew that 6 lost during a retreat in WWII were a bunch that took a wrong turn while trying to escape a German offensive in the Western Desert, right into the face of Herr Rommel and his merry band of boxheads. (Needless to say the group were being led by an officer at the time).

G

gemarriott

nah sh1tty six mate, though I am sure it is open to debate. they were out of the UK an awful long time though!

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Naw 31 was in honour of the indian stars.

Didnt 208 Sqn pi$$ off and leave the ground crew in Egypt to die, think thats why they had a yellow streak through the pennant on the jets.

I seem to remember something about 17 Sqn not being allowed back into the UK for similar reasons, or perhaps its because it was just a ****e sqn................:pDT_Xtremez_28:

M

monobrow

4 Sqn...

4 Sqn...

Officially....... said:
A sun in splendour divided per bend by a flash of lightning - approved by HM King Edward VIII in May 1936. The red and black segmented sun suggests round-the-clock operations, while the lightning flash is a reference to the units early use of wireless telephony for artillery co-operation.

Not quite what I've heard.... Heard from an ex-harrier sootie, they did some "abandonment".....

Yellow for the cowardess
Red for the blood that was spilled
Black for (something, forgot that one last time as well!!)

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
nah sh1tty six mate, though I am sure it is open to debate. they were out of the UK an awful long time though!

The fact that the 6 sqn has an association with the Jordanian royal family may have something to do with them staying out in the middle east for the time that they did. How to make friends and kept them.

P

PLC1966

Seem to remember the story going at Wildenrath that 60 Sqn were stuck permanently stuck overseas because of doing a runner from the Grd Crew out in the Midle East. Then they came back when Germany shut !

TrickyTree

Sergeant
I've heard this hoary old chestnut about just about every squadron ever to serve in the old RAFG, and those in NEAF and FEAF too.

Happy Four's sunburst does have meaning, the red and black signifying transition from day to night as they were one of the first squadrons to conduct night ops and the yellow flash IS for use of wireless telegraphy. I used to be on Happy Four at Laarbruch...

Consider though the tactical situation. The enemy are advancing at great speed. Aeroplanes are our most valuable asset. The aircrew will jump in them and fly away, yes I suspect grateful to be saving their own lives, but also those aircraft are then saved to be used in anger on another day. We, as groundcrew, will have to take our chances.

I don't like it any more than anybody else, but war is tough (ask the guys in Selly Oak) and I don't see why any squadron should be disgraced for having the presence of mind to preserve their (and the nations) valuable assets.

Or do I misunderstand everybody's angle on this?