• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Branches and Trades; to be reduced from 68 to 11

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
In my time in uniform, the general rule pretty much everywhere was first name terms for up to 2 ranks up (SAC - Sgt or Cpl to FS) with rank used beyond that.

I did once have the 'pleasure' of seeing a visiting AOC being formally introduced to my Flt Cdr (a 1st tour Fg Off).... The catch being that they were actually father & son.... :) On the rehearsal walk round, the introduction was about to be made when the Fg Off (a good bloke) just said "Hi dad..." to laughter all round (even from the SWO!)

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
I think I always kept Sarge and above. Cpl most I knew was a similar age, so first name but unfamiliar normally Corp. mid eighties.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
....Many of the aircraft tech trades were merged, one of the new trades was called Avtronics, I think that was instruments, elec and radio, engines and air frames were also merged but I can't remember the new name.
Here is a good quiz for you all. How does Dog Sh@gger fit into Avtronics?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
First name terms to maintenance teams within a hangar (LAC to C/T)
Ranks used to Office wallahs (C/T to W/C)...at work, anyway.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If they do merge, then they will have to accept longer training before first posting. As RAFP starting Acting CPL surely they can use the same practice as modern police structure. Bobby on the beat with bag of boil sweets or without. Sgt Everywhere or Sgt Lardarse-Deskjob. Is there a example Air Force of which the debate refers too.
RAFP merging with Regt and....wait....PTI; can't remember what it's called now

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
...and Movers, Stackers, Drivers and musicians all now Loggy Trade.

I rather like this, as I've always wanted to play the trombone.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Movers & Drivers being absorbed into TG18 (Supply) makes some sense - it's where they were branched out from in the first place (read Sustaining Air Power by former Wg Cdr Trevor Stone). But Musicians!!! WtF???

AirForce

LAC
An old story often told by those in the RAAF who have worked on exercises with the USAF,

In days gone by we had a RAAF mustering (trade) of General Hand whose duties were any unskilled duties required in any area, we also had Stores Hands and Kitchen Hands.

Anyhow, on arrival by Herc on a USAF Base the crew and pax were greeted with all the pomp and circumstance by the Base Commander in order to greet General Hand.:)

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Movers & Drivers being absorbed into TG18 (Supply) makes some sense - it's where they were branched out from in the first place (read Sustaining Air Power by former Wg Cdr Trevor Stone). But Musicians!!! WtF???
Say what you like, with interoperability the key - as a Loggy, I welcome the opportunity to play the trombone

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
An old story often told by those in the RAAF who have worked on exercises with the USAF,

In days gone by we had a RAAF mustering (trade) of General Hand whose duties were any unskilled duties required in any area, we also had Stores Hands and Kitchen Hands.

Anyhow, on arrival by Herc on a USAF Base the crew and pax were greeted with all the pomp and circumstance by the Base Commander in order to greet General Hand.:)
Think years ago we used to have General Duties type staff (well before I joined) but now these type of duties are contracted out!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Think years ago we used to have General Duties type staff (well before I joined) but now these type of duties are contracted out!
USAF still do as far as I know. My last encounter with one of them was as he was changing a lightbulb in our area on Red Flag. When asked what his normal role was he answered, 'This, pretty much.....'

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Think years ago we used to have General Duties type staff (well before I joined)
We did back in the day they were know as Trade Assistant General or TAG's supposedly available to help any trade in need of manpower. Mainly though they worked odd jobbing for the SWO.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
We did indeed have the 'trade' of Trade Assistant - General who were ACs (& LACs ?) straight from Swinderby with no trade training. Normally employed under the SWO, they could be deployed anywhere on a station where an untrained gash hand could be used. Washing up in the tin rooms in the messes for example or as guardroom gophers. After a period of time, if they were good enough, they could be trained and re-traded to General Duties (GD) and work in the guardroom where they worked up the ranks as GD staff, running guardrooms etc and as station discip staff until finally becoming SWO's. Looked down on by 'proper' trades they nevertheless played an important role in the running of the station.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I had a couple of good mates who were GD's. And I never thought of them as being of a lower status. One even applied to be a Rock!