• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Branches and Trades; to be reduced from 68 to 11

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
They have been recruiting DE SNCO's into Air Traffic for a number of years using the SNCO Aircrew training as a model. I believe the thinking behind it was to get people of the right age group through training. I know more mature people have easily passed through the training system but there is a correlation with age and pass rates. In my experience the results have been mixed, I'm sure some will develop into excellent SNCO's others would appear to be struggling to function at a level similar to a junior SAC.
Indeed. There's also capacity to introduce this into the aircraft trades.

Take a fully trained, licensed and type rated 737 B1 or B2. Perfect for Poseidon (with a bit of extra training). The current route would be to join in the same way as anyone else and then work up through the ranks. The non commissioned set up doesn't really recognise qualification. That has to change.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Indeed. There's also capacity to introduce this into the aircraft trades.

Take a fully trained, licensed and type rated 737 B1 or B2. Perfect for Poseidon (with a bit of extra training). The current route would be to join in the same way as anyone else and then work up through the ranks. The non commissioned set up doesn't really recognise qualification. That has to change.
If I was type rated on the NG, would I take a massive pay cut to work at Lossie? Not on your nellie. The civvy world is shite at the moment, but will pick up again.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If I was type rated on the NG, would I take a massive pay cut to work at Lossie? Not on your nellie. The civvy world is shite at the moment, but will pick up again.
It’s not just the money though is it…there’s the free shoes as well.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
*Your (LOL)
DAMN!!!!!!!! Congratulations.... You have won the prize for spotting the intended mistake.... Now if you just give me your PIN, Sort Code, Bank Account Number, Name on Card and last 3 on the bank of your Bank Card I will deposit your winnings of 100 Zimbabwean Dollars... ;)....HONEST!!!

AirForce

LAC
Kind of does beg the question of Aircrew and RAF Police structure in ranking. If the point is pare down say to Officers and NCO's structure then okay why are aircrew begin as Sgts upward not corporals equally RAF Police Corporals not SAC or Airmen/Women sorry Gender Fluid persons. As for sharing trades such as MT Fire Mountain Rescue Supply General duties Admin et al per say Then equally Mechanics Techies and Lecky's also merge. Also the a need to dispose of lower rank structure, to Air Person only to a single rank or none. Airperson leaving trade training without rank status till forwarded for promotion to Corporal.
RAF Restructure of Branches and Trades - It will be interesting to follow this project to see how it all pans out.

I recall the RAAF going through the same restructure, it was a few years ago, some of the Officer Branches were abolished, two I can think of was Accounting Officer and Transport Officer.

Many of the aircraft tech trades were merged, one of the new trades was called Avtronics, I think that was instruments, elec and radio, engines and air frames were also merged but I can't remember the new name.

Transport Drivers were merged with Suppliers.

There were a number of others but to numerous to list.

One that would be of interest to RAF Police is that as a result of the RAAF restructure the minimum rank of Corporal for RAAF Police was removed and now RAAF Police hold the rank of AC on graduation, this is despite the Army and Navy MP's still being granted NCO rank on graduation.

As I said, it will be interesting to watch the RAF Branch and Trade Restructure.

Cheers for now.

P/S I notice a previous poster was being gender neutral by using the word 'Air Person', would you believe the RAAF are now referring to Airmen and Airwomen as Aviators.😮

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
RAF Restructure of Branches and Trades - It will be interesting to follow this project to see how it all pans out.

I recall the RAAF going through the same restructure, it was a few years ago, some of the Officer Branches were abolished, two I can think of was Accounting Officer and Transport Officer.

Many of the aircraft tech trades were merged, one of the new trades was called Avtronics, I think that was instruments, elec and radio, engines and air frames were also merged but I can't remember the new name.

Transport Drivers were merged with Suppliers.

There were a number of others but to numerous to list.

One that would be of interest to RAF Police is that as a result of the RAAF restructure the minimum rank of Corporal for RAAF Police was removed and now RAAF Police hold the rank of AC on graduation, this is despite the Army and Navy MP's still being granted NCO rank on graduation.

As I said, it will be interesting to watch the RAF Branch and Trade Restructure.

Cheers for now.

P/S I notice a previous poster was being gender neutral by using the word 'Air Person', would you believe the RAAF are now referring to Airmen and Airwomen as Aviators.😮
They all wearing "Top Gun" shades and playing half-naked volleyball while playing Kenny Loggins - Playing with the Boys?? :-D

AirForce

LAC
I remember working working with RAF supply blokes in the steaming jungles of Malaysia in the late 1960's and comparing trades or as we in the RAAF refer to trades as musterngs.

Anyhow, in those days the RAF had Storeman Packer, Storeman Tech and Storeman Non Tech.

I also remember the RAF blokes being horrified at our AC's, LAC's calling SNCO's by their first name.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I remember working working with RAF supply blokes in the steaming jungles of Malaysia in the late 1960's and comparing trades or as we in the RAAF refer to trades as musterngs.

Anyhow, in those days the RAF had Storeman Packer, Storeman Tech and Storeman Non Tech.

I also remember the RAF blokes being horrified at our AC's, LAC's calling SNCO's by their first name.
Hi AirForce.

Tended to find when I was in that the more self-important trades who struggled to provide a service i.e. Supply, Admin, MT, tended to go through this when I was in. No doubt they would say that they more "Op focussed" than most. The actual reality was they were Rank obsessed Fwits who needed the BS to disguise their ineptitude. Maybe some of this has changed as they have been in the main contracted out, sometimes to Ex-service people who think they are still in and doing you a favour by providing a service. God bless contracting.

My trade (Ex-TG3 then 4 Radar, Comms, IT) tended to have a "golden silent rule" where as and LAC/SAC/JT/Cpl you could call your Sgt by his first name but after that it was by rank. Obviously there maybe differences at different places.

A good SNCO who was experienced, cared about the job and his charges, hard when required but fair, and a good listener can make the difference to provide a happy, productive section. Unfortunately that was in short supply as I was leaving as the Good Ones were maligned by senior management due to the concept of using "common sense" and "emotional intelligence".

But enuff about me ranting.

Laters.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant

I applied the general rule that within the section it was first names pretty much up to FS, however if someone of some sort of importance was in earshot, SENGO or above that wasn't familiar with the section and their personnel we would revert to the proper use of rank.

I did love going to the admin side as a Chief Tech and watch them fluster a bit as they struggled to cope with that rank. We'd play nice chief, grumpy chief when out and about in pairs to get stupid stuff sorted for the lads.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
One time we had an army one star visiting the section. He was in charge of vehicle procurement and was in the Flight's office having a chat over tea and biscuits The Flight didn't mind being called his first name but on this occasion when my mate just sauntered in and gave a cheery "High Jack how's it going?" Was met with a stony silence and looks that could kill.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
One time we had an army one star visiting the section. He was in charge of vehicle procurement and was in the Flight's office having a chat over tea and biscuits The Flight didn't mind being called his first name but on this occasion when my mate just sauntered in and gave a cheery "High Jack how's it going?" Was met with a stony silence and looks that could kill.
Problem is when you have a Star visit people start acting ALL funny. This could be taken 2 ways.... No respect for rank and authority in the workplace with a laisez fair command structure or, if the 1 STAR has some emotional intelligence, he may see this as a good sign of a collaborative, working environment where everyone looks after each other top to bottom. It's easy to NOT play the game since you aren't playing the game everyday and just going about your normal business!