• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Quote box" on thread?

How do you use the "quote" box bit when you want to use a quote from other reply?

I have hit the quote tab and in my reply box it shows the quote, with the words quote etc and all the dashes and numbers... but then when you submit your own reply, the quote you wanted doesn't come out in nice little box like every one else's... it simply comes out with type written words "quote // [ etc and then the other persons quote just as normal type and not in a box.

So what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks.

Ok, will have to be thick as wot not here... right, have tried it and failed ..

If I highlight the words before hitting reply box then lose that bit and if hit reply box first then cant get the highlighted words... you didnt mean to right click as well or something did you??

Am sat here chuckling cos I know its simple but still cant do it....

I'm ashamed to say it... but can you break them instructions down to child level please :pDT_Xtremez_42:

No you lost me now.. can highlight it all but if high lighted then hit reply box to do tag thing then you lose the high light bit... or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Are you pulling my leg :)

Will try tomorrow but thank you anyway!

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Another way of doing it is to type [quote*] at the beginning of your sentence (without the asterisk) and then end the sentence with [/quote]

[quote*] Example of highlighted text with the asterisk still in place[/quote]

When there is no asterisk it will look like this,

Example of highlighted text

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Why don't you try hitting quote then select all of the text and copy it including the quote bit in brackets, hit he back button and click post then paste the text into a new post to see if that works. It could be something very simple but if you do edit the text you must make sure the quote bits at the beginning and end are untouched.

R squared is right as well that could so work. Good luck with it.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Why don't you try hitting quote then select all of the text and copy it including the quote bit in brackets, hit he back button and click post then paste the text into a new post to see if that works. It could be something very simple but if you do edit the text you must make sure the quote bits at the beginning and end are untouched.

R squared is right as well that could so work. Good luck with it.

RAF Bird is right the quote bits at the start of the text and the end must remain intact or it wont work

No you lost me now.. can highlight it all but if high lighted then hit reply box to do tag thing then you lose the high light bit... or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Are you pulling my leg :)

Will try tomorrow but thank you anyway!
You can always cut and paste the text that you want, highlight it then hit the quote button (looks like a speech bubble).

If you scroll down under your message box there is a topic review panel which shows the last 10 posts so you can cut and paste from this rather than using the back button.

Good luck:pDT_Xtremez_30:

:) Scaley.. this bird has a firm grip!! but on me black coffee not on the old brain cells and now reading all instructions ready to give it a whirl... smile on my face thinking if I have to be thick I at least do it to the max!!

Failing all else will do old fashioned way and copy and paste and leave it at that. Right.. here goes....

Erm... now on text box and currently forgotten all instructions!!!

But thank you all :)

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
:) Scaley.. this bird has a firm grip!! but on me black coffee not on the old brain cells and now reading all instructions ready to give it a whirl... smile on my face thinking if I have to be thick I at least do it to the max!!

Failing all else will do old fashioned way and copy and paste and leave it at that. Right.. here goes....

Erm... now on text box and currently forgotten all instructions!!!
But thank you all :)

Magic new invention Bird............Pen/paper:pDT_Xtremez_30:

P

pie sandwich

How do you use the "quote" box bit when you want to use a quote from other reply?

I have hit the quote tab and in my reply box it shows the quote, with the words quote etc and all the dashes and numbers... but then when you submit your own reply, the quote you wanted doesn't come out in nice little box like every one else's... it simply comes out with type written words "quote // [ etc and then the other persons quote just as normal type and not in a box.

So what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks.

I think I know where you might have gone wrong,

When you see the text at the top of the reply message it will have
username; 12345 said:
and at the end of the text it will have [ / quote ]

if you delete anything within the brackets [ ] or the brackets themselves but not the text you are quoting or change the colour of the brackets it will come up as part of your reply rather than in the quote box.

see easy, and its all as clear as mud

You can always cut and paste the text that you want, highlight it then hit the quote button (looks like a speech bubble).:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Right, have hit quote button this time on your reply instead of my reply so if this doesn't work then I am giving up... because it didn't work the other way round!

oh I did it !! right what confused me... and it doesn't take a lot I know... but did quote icon in my box not yours.. which of course then just left the words etc as quote.

My excuse is two things:

1- Female
2- Essex Bird

Say no more as no 2 explains all !! :)

(oddly I do have to change light bulb in lads room later so hopefully will manage that task)

oh hang on ... just noticed John you did multiple boxes in one reply... so how does that work if hit quote on your text then need text from someone else's?? because if I come out of my text box to get second quote do I lose everything?

Need second cuppa for dual text quote!!!