• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Qualities of an occifer

C

crow123

Hello All,

I wonder if someone would be so kind as to help me out. I have my Board at Cranwell soon and have lost my notes on the qualities and duties of an RAF officer. As far as I can remember these were two lists of five standard answers to be given at the interview, along the lines of;

Qualities:

1.Dress and deportment (a high standard off)
2. The ability to influence others/ good communication skills
3.Self confidence
4.Courage (Moral / Physical)
5.????????

Duties:

1.Morale
2.Dicipline
3.Management
4.Welfare
5.Leadership

If anyone could clarify the textbook answers for these their time would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Crow

Realist78

Master of my destiny
qualities of an occifer

qualities of an occifer

If you genuinely concentrate on duty No1, then you'll find a lot of the rest will fall into place. Ignore it at your peril!

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Don't forget loyalty and integrity. They are in the 1st line of the commissioning statement!

E

enginesuck

Crow maybe your organization skills might be a quality to look at....... Your notes today is an airmans Gen Ap tomorrow !!!!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Just remember that at OASC you will be sat alongside a large group of equally determined candidates, most of whom will rattle off the textbook answer. If you want to make an impact at interview, then spend some time thinking about what you want to achieve as an officer, and then work out what qualities you possess which will make that possible.

O

Orwell

There is no text book answer. What sort of qualities would you want from your boss? What would you expect from a junior manager? Just tell them with some honest conviction. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

R

Rectifier

Agreed, don't try and be a text book officer and fall into the same mould as 80% of them who are only interested in progressing their own careers because they lack the fortitude to stand up and make a decision that may not be liked by their peers. The RAF is rapidly going down the toilet and I'm of a firm belief that the rot set in from the top a long time a go!!!

Swingwinger

Sergeant
Agreed, don't try and be a text book officer and fall into the same mould as 80% of them who are only interested in progressing their own careers because they lack the fortitude to stand up and make a decision that may not be liked by their peers. The RAF is rapidly going down the toilet and I'm of a firm belief that the rot set in from the top a long time a go!!!

Totally agree with you Rectifier. The O's at the top look down and think they see smiley faces but when we look up all we see is fxxxing ar$eholes!!!

C

crow123

Thanks for your help guys; I would have to agree with the argument of putting forward my own ideas based loosely on what I have been told. The chap at my AFCO interview did say keep it to a rote answer and you can't go too far wrong but I do want to stand out so I think putting a little bit of me across can't hurt.

Now all I have to do is convince the board I'm not an inept ****...any ideas?

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
Crow, go and get some practise interviews before you go to OASC. I don't know what station you are at but your TDO should help you, its part of their primary duty. Also go and see some Junior Officers who have recently been through Cranwell, ideally from your chosen branch(es) and above all join the local Commissioning Club (if there isn't one form one!). Get briefed up on the interview format and practise, practise, practise.

Good Luck

C

crow123

Unfortunatly I'm a STAB not a crab at the moment so I don't have the oppertunity. However I have made an appointment to visit my nearest station to discuss matters with a few of the officers from my selected areas of interest.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hello All,

I wonder if someone would be so kind as to help me out. I have my Board at Cranwell soon and have lost my notes on the qualities and duties of an RAF officer. As far as I can remember these were two lists of five standard answers to be given at the interview, along the lines of;

Qualities:

1.Dress and deportment (a high standard off)
2. The ability to influence others/ good communication skills
3.Self confidence
4.Courage (Moral / Physical)
5.????????

Duties:

1.Morale
2.Dicipline
3.Management
4.Welfare
5.Leadership

If anyone could clarify the textbook answers for these their time would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Crow

To be honest YAWN!!! Your not supposed to know the book yet really as you haven't had the lesson...

What do you think right now with the life experiences you have had and your sense of right or wrong should be important to a leader of people? If you could sort out in your own head a list of what you believe to be important in your own words then run them by a few people it might score just as highly as you regurgitating the party line...For instance no-where in the above drab list is there 'a sense of humour'...Now one of those can be really helpful sometimes and if I was sat facing you at the OASC I wouldn't discount it as an attribute...

S

Seymour Tw@tt

To be honest YAWN!!! Your not supposed to know the book yet really as you haven't had the lesson...

What do you think right now with the life experiences you have had and your sense of right or wrong should be important to a leader of people? If you could sort out in your own head a list of what you believe to be important in your own words then run them by a few people it might score just as highly as you regurgitating the party line...For instance no-where in the above drab list is there 'a sense of humour'...Now one of those can be really helpful sometimes and if I was sat facing you at the OASC I wouldn't discount it as an attribute...

5 star answer, Vim. This could account for some of the dross impersonating RAF officers in certain places...

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

E

enginesuck

I must admit that a lot of JOs I have been in contact recently really do seem to be clones of one another, and I really do wonder if any of them have an individual personality.... I often wonder if they are held back personaly by their jobs and are deep down inside sh1tting themselves that they are going to get found out if they display normal behaviour ! A sense of humour should be up alongside the rest of the required attrubutes IMHO...

airframe doctor

Corporal
Just for once I'd like an officer to admit when he was wrong and that his guys do actually know what they are talking about thus backng them up in certain situations.
You & I know this will probably never happen so............I'll get my coat.

IMHO One of the best qualities that an officer can have, is the ability to listen to others, regardless of Rank. They should not assume that because the are of the commisioned bretheren that they know everything and that anyone with a different point of view is a cretin.

I have seen, over my long and undistingished career, many JO drop a boll*ck or two(often with hillarious results)because they wouldn't listen.:pDT_Xtremez_30: