• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pvr advice.

i know this is probably an old issue, however i'm having difficulty finding information or getting a straight answer.
i'm a GTM and have 2 years left on a ROS. I have put in my PVR and have been told i cant leave until April 2014 (i'm a year in post)
does anybody know if you can get out early? i've heard rumors of 28 days etc but don't want to leave under a cloud. i've been offered a job and its a substantial pay-rise, hence why i want to leave.
any advice greatly received.

ps. I know I SIGNED ON THE LINE AND LIFE IN A BLUE SUIT AND AIR FORCE NOT FAIR FORCE, so no sarcasm or RAFism's required.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
I'm no expert on this subject but have you tried approaching 'Hand-Brake' House, formally with your question,,, possibly in the form of a 'Gen app' ??

KingGuin

Sergeant
You have answered your own question - you have a ROS.

However, I have dealt with one similar recently. Welfare agencies provided a host of information and based on that I presented a case to Air. They agreed with the recommendation and the individual was out within a week.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Can you not approach your line management and make a case to get out early? There was a lassie on TCW that pvr'd on the Monday and was cleared and gone by Friday. Started her new job Monday morning.

Bignick

Corporal
Tubby you are missing the important bit. ROS is return of service

Funny really, you have one guy wanting out within his ROS and he can't go (but will probably be out of the door as soon as he 'legally' can), yet they are also looking to release 35 GTMs in tranche 2 with a payout.

I wonder if they can put 2+2 together on this one :pDT_Xtremez_21:

answer.....I doubt it.....

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think the simplest answer is to go to your boss initially and lay your cards on the table incl. job offer. Calmly state your intentions and rquirements explaining that an opportunity like this is potentially once in a life time and point out that we are laying off people in the same trade at the moment. Also it could be worth talking to your potential new employer about a long lead time into your new role and use that as a mitigation against any ROS.

In the end rules are rules but a sensible and calm appraoch armed with the right and appropriate facts and figures may get you some results.

Why not take your fitness test and fail it 3 times or maybe 4 be interesting to test the system I have heard of a guy who got his licenses through the raf with a long rts and then failed his fitness test quite a few times in a month and they had to admin discharge him

Digzster

Sergeant
Why not take your fitness test and fail it 3 times or maybe 4 be interesting to test the system I have heard of a guy who got his licenses through the raf with a long rts and then failed his fitness test quite a few times in a month and they had to admin discharge him

The old saying is true, where there's a will........... (there's a relative)?
I like that idea, it would be interesting to see the result.

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
I understand you have a return of service but you have to weigh up how much it will cost Vs the new jobs money and future prospects.

You stated you don't want to leave under a cloud!!.....Why?,it's your life not the RAF's and I guarantee they couldn't give a sh!t after you've gone.

Life in a blue suit comments are pointless, they are just an employer, if the money is worth it, I would pay and go without a second for the Jengo who will have to wait for your replacement.

lsmall

LAC
I understand you have a return of service but you have to weigh up how much it will cost Vs the new jobs money and future prospects.You stated you don't want to leave under a cloud!!.....Why?,it's your life not the RAF's and I guarantee they couldn't give a sh!t after you've gone. Life in a blue suit comments are pointless, they are just an employer, if the money is worth it, I would pay and go without a second for the Jengo who will have to wait for your replacement.
Just out of a Terminations post. Ultimately, your best best would be to approach LM and Unit Chf Clk and see if you can get something cohesive with them both. With both existing line management and HR content, you'll have a much better case to present to ACOS Manning. Given there is a redundancy requirement, the Chf Clk may (if he is willing) speak with your Career Manager and seek their views on a waiver of the RoS. If you are being retained becuase of a committment bonus, you need only repay the bonus and the RoS will be lifted. If it's a training RoS or otherwise, it's somewhat more complex and ultimately, your Career Manager will have the final say. Only other ways to get out are to stand for Parliament or become a man of the cloth!

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Stand for Parliment you say? I think I could manage that, all I need now are some policies.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
it's your life not the RAF's

You attested and signed on the dotted line, so your life does belong to the RAF!

Vim_Fuego has given you the right advice but bear in mind MWT's usually increase after redundancy tranches.

As MG will testify, the RAF doesn't always play fair after you press that ET button, so make sure you have a 'Plan B' in case they send you OOA, have you working at the Olympics and/or covering fuel strikes before you go.