• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pulling the plug?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
How do people who don’t use EVs know that the infrastructure isn’t there yet, you might not like the Tesla one screen set up, but it’s one of biggest selling cars out there, so enough people seem to like them.

Before the current bump in energy prices (impact of Ukraine invasion) the cost of an EV was offset by running costs, if the high prices become the norm then the balance will remain against the EV, especially roadside charging, unless petrol prices jump up.

There will be reliable petrol and diesel cars, for most, on the roads for the next 20 years, so no one is forcing anyone to flip over, if they don’t work for don’t worry a lot of us on here won’t be around then.

kawoloki

Sergeant
There is an MG dealer near us which has about a dozen new ones ( MG 4) I think. They have been there a while.
Obviously not selling well. I wouldn't entertain one. Don't like them.
Expensive, infrastructure not there yet and made in China.
The range of the MGs would do for us, leaving the bigger SUV for long trips and towing.
We have a self charging hybrid SUV, which is pretty good and a petrol powered small car.
Our neighbour's son has Tesla model Y as a company car. (He works for one of leccy companies). He likes it. He says it's very comfortable and roomy for his family. Range is good. Obviously tax advantages for him. Its a £50K car.
I really don't like the design, nearly everything controlled by a big touch screen. Looks like someone simply stuck a big I pad on the dash.

Slightly off topic but there's definitely been a recent trend from most manufacturers to remove physical buttons and stick all controls on a screen. Some try to do it intelligently by having permanent areas for fan / heat control etc but often you need to hunt through menus to find and change anything, which has its obvious dangers while on the move. In the VW EVs they have the permanent controls but not backlit soo you can't see them at night..

All in the name of cost cutting, cars are now like video games, release a hunk of junk and let the customers be the beta testers for the ongoing updates and patches.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Before the current bump in energy prices (impact of Ukraine invasion) the cost of an EV was offset by running costs, if the high prices become the norm then the balance will remain against the EV, especially roadside charging, unless petrol prices jump up.

There will be reliable petrol and diesel cars, for most, on the roads for the next 20 years, so no one is forcing anyone to flip over, if they don’t work for don’t worry a lot of us on here won’t be around then.

I don't thing you'll ever see a huge swing ala petrol prices jumping up. This'll be a deliberate (like it always is) cranking of the handle by the oil producers, in tune with what will be a steadily rising electricity rate as the investors funding the next gen fusion plants (Tokamak) will be wanting a decent return. Like the slow increasing boiling of the frog analogy.

I may get a milk float as a 2nd car for the wife, but I find them totally soulless, there is no 'Smiles Per Gallon' and I've given the fastest Tesla (a few years ago now) a good thrashing. Otherwise I'll stick to my nice big torque dino juice burners that give kids cancer.

Mustang

Corporal
EV's nice idea, polar bears saved, rain forest grows, trees hugged all is good, a four wheel drive route straight into St. Greta's knickers.

Certainly spending in excess of 30K for a motor, just for the outside chance of fondling Greta's norks is outside my current thinking.
1. I feel sick.:sick:
2. She has norks? Not that I'm keen on seeing her photos.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Im not biased at all…but I wont get an EV until Diesel is withdrawn from UK. I still recon that a five or even ten year old diesel is mor eco friendly than a new EV drawing excessive power from the National Grid, that has built-In obsolescence of a few years and is bad for roads and multi-story car parks.