• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Property Maintenance Course

KnackeredStacker

LAC
Subscriber
Anybody done the Property Maintenance course at Aldershot?

https://www.ctp.org.uk/resettlement-courses/ctp-training-course/Property+Maintenance/search

Any good for the home DIY-er?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

How do Norm - long time no see.

I did it (or something very similar) back in 2010 as I had some resettlement time and ELC tokens to use up. Mine was done via Rosyth and done in conjunction with a tech college nearby. I had no intention of trying to make it a career, but wanted to up my DIY skills as it appears you do. Some modules were better than others - purely down to the individual instructor, most of whom were ex-army guys who had gone into it as part of their resettlement. A couple of them were obviously only doing it to tap into the CTP monies, but the majority were actually very good.

I was already OK confidence-wise with a lot of it, but had a healthy respect for anything to do with electrickery. That and plastering was what I was particularly interested in, and what I managed to learn about both has saved me a fair bit of wedge through 1 x renovation project and 1 x full build since leaving.

Both times I did a full re-wire and am fortunate enough to have a friendly electrician neighbour who certified my work for the planners. He did give me a couple of pointers on some trickier bits (the course was very much the basics) but didn't need to remedy any of my work.

Likewise, I did a fair bit of plastering and board skimming. I could NEVER do it for a living as I'm very slow at it, but I learnt enough about the process and technique to do a decent job and didn't need TOO much sandpaper afterwards 

All in all very worthwhile for me.

As an aside Norm - I always had you down as a 'lifer'  Surprised to hear you talking resettlement!

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Life sentence nearly up with no time off for good behaviour. Can't be arsed retraining but want to save some pennies looking after the house. Sounds like just the course for me. Thanks for the information.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Robby

Corporal
Resettlement Options

Resettlement Options

I did an Electricians course with a company called Able Skills in Dartford, they were very good and offered a full suite of courses, I didn't want to be a full time electrician but great skills to have. Easy for accommodation and they even offered their own accommodation in case you had used up all your resettlement T&S.

I didn't fancy a couple of weeks at Aldershot!!!

A Regiment Sqn Ldr had done the full suite of courses and he said the building and plastering courses had been very good but very hard work!

Good luck

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Prior to my discharge, I did a plumbing course with these guys:

http://www.trade-ability.co.uk/

At the end of two weekends, I was able to install pipework, baths, sinks, toilets, radiators, taps, fix leaks and do a hell of a lot more than I ever dreamed.

For the small outlay (less the £175 SLC), I have changed the kitchen taps from single to mixer, replaced radiators in 3 rooms in my house, and repaired a leaking toilet at my mum's house. Simple enough tasks when you have the confidence of knowing you have done them before, but quite daunting when you have never done them!

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Well I’m travelling to luxurious Aldershot tomorrow for this course. 3 weeks of DIY mayhem but I have bagged a hotel & spa for the duration courtesy of the MOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
So that’s all done. Probably the best course I’ve ever done in 30 years. Great tutors with years of trade experience behind them.
Good training facilities that let you get stuck in.
Hub Cafe was a rip off but I was on daily subsistence so not my money.
Gained some really good skills & lots of confidence to tackle stuff around the home. Highly recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Good to hear, I was looking at that one as well.