• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predjudice towards 'medically fit' personnel with regards to Fitness Testing

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
whilst 'medically fit' SAC's getting kicked out for struggling to get to 9'10 but hitting ranges between level 7.4 and 9.0 on the MSFT. Farcical!

Yet there is still to be a single successful "unlawful dismissal" case in the courts....

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I suspect that part of the issue here is employment law. The military expect (quite rightly) their personnel who are healthy to meet certain standards of fitness and those who fail despite being healthy are subject to a range of sanctions. When it comes to medical conditions however, disability discrimination rules potentially apply - an employer must legally make reasonable adjustments to accommodate disabled employees. In the case of the military, this would normally by means of reduced employment standard (leading to reduced employment options) but sanctions (up to and including discharge) may be illegal by being discriminatory. Allowing a medically downgraded individual to serve their contract out would, at least avoid such claims.
So, if the doc says your medically capable of being RAFFT fit & you fail testing - tough luck, do something about it yourself.
if the doc says you have a medical condition that impairs your fitness - accept the constraints of employment and serve out your time.
All IMHO

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
On a serious note, its a fitness test, ie an individuals fitness, not a fitness standard ( which I think the army have ). Therefore its fair, it might not seem right but the RAF are basing it on facts so it'll be legal, if you don't like it or any of the other rules then move on, that's your right.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
On a serious note, its a fitness test, ie an individuals fitness, not a fitness standard ( which I think the army have ). Therefore its fair, it might not seem right but the RAF are basing it on facts so it'll be legal, if you don't like it or any of the other rules then move on, that's your right.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Rules are for fools. I work in a workplace which doesn't have rules we have policies and procedures.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Agree there, never liked the fitness test, brought in by the Mirror Mechs, a group not known for their luminessence

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

StickyFingers

Sergeant
I know a section where there is only 1 fit Junior Rank, the rest are downgraded. Guess who get's all the Parades, guard etc...?

Makes you wonder why he hasn't went sick yet, integrity probably.

dessp2

SAC
I know a section where there is only 1 fit Junior Rank, the rest are downgraded. Guess who get's all the Parades, guard etc...?

Thats it. Most of us are from the era where you got ridiculed for even walking past a Med centre, never mind actually going sick.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

Maybe the problem lies with the section incorrectly declaring their availability of personnel who can perform those duties?

That said, perhaps someone is trying to hide the fact that his/her section is a bunch of sickies because they may end up having to do extra work to cover a section which is decimated due to OOA/Guard/Parades etc.

sulky

SAC
I’m permanently downgraded as I’m not allowed to run/heavy lift due to a lower back issue that issue that slowly manifested itself after a co's cup in 2008. i struggled for years to do anything due to the pain, but eventually it slowly healed (2015), it didn’t help that i was posted 3 times and had to start treatment again each time due to the antiquated system that the physios don’t take each other’s word for it and need to assess themselves how you are..anyhow i digress.

When i went to get up graded they informed me (feb this year) that as I’m nearly out ( 2 to 22) they need to protect my back, so permanent remained

I now do circuits 3 times a week and spinning twice, and cycle in and out of work, more than some of my "fit" mates, yeah im a little podgey due to the 7 years of lower activity. But the way i look at it..im stuck in an office due to my downgrade, but does this not free up a "fit" person to be somewhere where they may need to run/lift, ie on a sqn, rather than dragging their heels in an office?

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Seems win win to me

You get to do all the cool stuff like gym and that with none of the crap like guard and dets.

Fair play.

Seems win win to me

You get to do all the cool stuff like gym and that with none of the crap like guard and dets.

Fair play.

No It seems like an easy cop out to me. We are a military fighting force. If war kicks off tomorrow with the Russians or IS land on our shores what use to the RAF are personnel with permanent downgrades.

No It seems like an easy cop out to me. We are a military fighting force. If war kicks off tomorrow with the Russians or IS land on our shores what use to the RAF are personnel with permanent downgrades.

If IS are outside the wire will Mr downgrade be able to pull out his sick chit and tell his line manager he cannot stag on so that Mr medically fit has to double stint on guard because there is not enough medically fit personnel to protect their area of responsibility???

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
If IS are outside the wire will Mr downgrade be able to pull out his sick chit and tell his line manager he cannot stag on so that Mr medically fit has to double stint on guard because there is not enough medically fit personnel to protect their area of responsibility???

Nicked from somewhere else, but it sums you up.

Picture1.jpg

War Bast@rd has been watching your whingeing.

Your War Rating is : Rectal C0ckstorm Bubble Piper.

Kryten

Warrant Officer

Firstly, there is more chance of you posting something positive than there is of IS "landing on our shores". Secondly, read your history....back in 1940 much of the defence of this country on the ground depended on the Home Guard, which had a lot of personnel who weren't fit enough to join the regular army.