• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predjudice towards 'medically fit' personnel with regards to Fitness Testing

Why are people that are medically fit within the RAF subject to fitness testing with the potential outcome of failing being discharge from the service when personnel on a 'permanent downgrade' still hold a job, wage and unfit lifestyle while never having to do a single fitness test ever again during their service career. Surely a 'fit to fight' approach has to be directed towards all personnel regardless of medical status. Surely if I am to be kicked out of the service for poor attitude to fitness then the fat guy on a permanent downgrade stuffing cakes in his face on shift every day should also be subject to the same procedure and kicked out?

And before anyone replies I just want to add that there are hundreds if not thousands of 'permanent downgraded' personnel still earning a wage when 'medically fit' personnel who cant run a couple of mile are getting kicked out for poor attitude to fitness.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
No disrespect to you, but I'm getting a bit of a persecution complex vibe from you, judging by your last couple of threads?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Don't forget that those downgraded personnel will not get signed on beyond their current engagement, , leaving those others to continue in their employment field.

As an aside, Perhaps the OP could shack up with ILLBW. That's if Bruce could bring himself to share space with a Junior Rank. At least the rest of us would be saved from their extreme views!

Last edited:

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Don't forget that those downgraded personnel will not get signed on beyond their current engagement, , leaving those others to continue in their employment field.

As an aside, Perhaps the OP could shack up with ILLBW. That's if Bruce could bring himself to share space with a Junior Rank. At least the rest of us would be saved from their extreme views!

Beg to differ Mutty old boy; downgraded personnel are being promoted and signed on as well such is the state of the RAF!

Molar Mob

KOS
I've been out for years. He may be a troll or any other thing but nobody has answered his question yet. It happened to me in the 1980s. Could do the 1 1/2 mile run peice of pi£s as a Flight Sergeant but couldn't get my WO because some were medically downgraded and kept in. I could drink them under the table as well.

I am not a troll, just asking perfectly sensible questions. I have never had a problem with my fitness test and passed every1 but it is quite disheartening to know that if I fail I will have administrative action taken against me with the potential of losing my job and an income whereas some overweight JNCO, SNCO or WO on a permanent downgrade, unable to carry out the fitness test, is sat in his office eating cookies and cakes from the local morrisons knowing that he has a guaranteed income and never has to prove his fitness to the RAF. Where is the equality in that? I thought we were supposed to be a modern day military fighting fit force with high standards of equality and diversity. If your medically fit but cant run a mile then out you go. If your medically unfit and cant run a mile you can stay in and carry on serving her majestys royal air force with pride :)

4everAD

Sergeant
Have to agree with the sentiment of the OP on this one. If people are perm downgraded and getting promoted and signed on then that is just wrong. I do get the feeling that the less you're a problem to the "system" the less favorably you're treated. Have a twisted sock and everyone falls over to give you special treatment, fully fit and fail your rafft and every man and his dog will line up to have a go.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I am not a troll, just asking perfectly sensible questions. I have never had a problem with my fitness test and passed every1 but it is quite disheartening to know that if I fail I will have administrative action taken against me with the potential of losing my job and an income whereas some overweight JNCO, SNCO or WO on a permanent downgrade, unable to carry out the fitness test, is sat in his office eating cookies and cakes from the local morrisons knowing that he has a guaranteed income and never has to prove his fitness to the RAF. Where is the equality in that? I thought we were supposed to be a modern day military fighting fit force with high standards of equality and diversity. If your medically fit but cant run a mile then out you go. If your medically unfit and cant run a mile you can stay in and carry on serving her majestys royal air force with pride :)

And there in lies the answer to your question.

If you are medically fit then there should be no reason for you to fail your fitness test. If you have a can't be arsed attitude or are over weight and fail then the military will quite rightly highlight your attitude towards fitness and if you don't take action then you will be disciplined. Individuals are downgraded for a plethora of reasons and many still have to undertake the fitness test.

I am not blind and realise there are some that play the system and 'hide' behind their medical condition to avoid deployments/fitness test and I used to see many Lazarus moments when promotions were on offer or a nice overseas posting. With the RAF getting smaller and smaller they will lose places to hide and good line management/report writing can be an important factor in the promotion of these individuals.

PS get your capitalisation right or we'll think you are a 20 yr old single bloke pretending to be older and have a grudge against married, downgraded old people::p:

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
And there in lies the answer to your question.

If you are medically fit then there should be no reason for you to fail your fitness test. If you have a can't be arsed attitude or are over weight and fail then the military will quite rightly highlight your attitude towards fitness and if you don't take action then you will be disciplined. Individuals are downgraded for a plethora of reasons and many still have to undertake the fitness test.

I am not blind and realise there are some that play the system and 'hide' behind their medical condition to avoid deployments/fitness test and I used to see many Lazarus moments when promotions were on offer or a nice overseas posting. With the RAF getting smaller and smaller they will lose places to hide and good line management/report writing can be an important factor in the promotion of these individuals.

PS get your capitalisation right or we'll think you are a 20 yr old single bloke pretending to be older and have a grudge against married, downgraded old people::p:

Some apostrophes wouldn't go amiss either!

Munkey

LAC
Why are people that are medically fit within the RAF subject to fitness testing with the potential outcome of failing being discharge from the service when personnel on a 'permanent downgrade' still hold a job, wage and unfit lifestyle while never having to do a single fitness test ever again during their service career. Surely a 'fit to fight' approach has to be directed towards all personnel regardless of medical status. Surely if I am to be kicked out of the service for poor attitude to fitness then the fat guy on a permanent downgrade stuffing cakes in his face on shift every day should also be subject to the same procedure and kicked out?

And before anyone replies I just want to add that there are hundreds if not thousands of 'permanent downgraded' personnel still earning a wage when 'medically fit' personnel who cant run a couple of mile are getting kicked out for poor attitude to fitness.

You do make I chuckle.

What's your thoughts on the disparity of treatment between males and females, the lasses do not have to achieve the same level of results in the fitness test but have the gall to draw the same level of salary as guys and also have the audacity to accept promotion over their male counterparts? :pDT_Xtremez_31:

You do make I chuckle.

What's your thoughts on the disparity of treatment between males and females, the lasses do not have to achieve the same level of results in the fitness test but have the gall to draw the same level of salary as guys and also have the audacity to accept promotion over their male counterparts? :pDT_Xtremez_31:

The fitness test standards for men and women do need levelling out in the RAF, there is no disparity in the Army and women have to achieve the same standards as men so why is it that the RAF is any different. I think the fact that women (aged 17-29) only have to achieve level 7.02 when all men of that age bracket must hit 9.10. A lot of women nowadays are more fitter than the men and in the gyms you will always see a woman on a treadmill or a bike 9 times out of 10 compared to a bloke who is in the mirror doing a his curls. I think a reasonable MSFT level for women to achieve between the bracket of 17-29 should be level 9. And men level 10. Yes there would still be a little bit of disparity but not a whole 3 levels disparity as per the current RAF MSFT criteria between men and women. But then again. The way the RAF is set up today. You see overweight women (high proportion are SNCO and Officers) on downgrades still in employment who could never get to level 3 or 4 on MSFT whilst 'medically fit' SAC's getting kicked out for struggling to get to 9'10 but hitting ranges between level 7.4 and 9.0 on the MSFT. Farcical!