• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Posted - where does the term come from

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Earlier today I was examining my grandfathers military history docs I just obtained from Glasgow with a newly discovered cousin (long story - family history research reveals some interesting stuff) who shares the same grandfather.
Without my help such terms as 'wef' meant nothing at all to her so I had to keep explaining that the military loves its acronyms, or TLAs. Then we came to POSTED.

Why 'posted' she asks.

Er, because, er. Dunno, never really thought of it before, it just means sent from one unit to another.

Anyone any ideas as to the origin?

Is it because you take up a post? Or because your documents had to follow you and were literally posted through the mail? Or because your new appointment was promulgated (or posted) in some orders somewhere?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Earlier today I was examining my grandfathers military history docs I just obtained from Glasgow with a newly discovered cousin (long story - family history research reveals some interesting stuff) who shares the same grandfather.
Without my help such terms as 'wef' meant nothing at all to her so I had to keep explaining that the military loves its acronyms, or TLAs. Then we came to POSTED.

Why 'posted' she asks.

Er, because, er. Dunno, never really thought of it before, it just means sent from one unit to another.

Anyone any ideas as to the origin?

Is it because you take up a post? Or because your documents had to follow you and were literally posted through the mail? Or because your new appointment was promulgated (or posted) in some orders somewhere?

Could it be before the days of computers you normally were told by your boss and then you saw it in the next SROS. Could it be that I was posted there.

How many times did we use posted and just never thought about where it came from.

You arrive at the main gate. I've just been posted in you'd say.

You say to your mates I've just been post to RAF such and such.

Was there any other word to use.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Post: A position of duty, employment, or trust to which one is assigned or appointed
hence 'posted' to a post.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Actually the term comes from your name being appended to a movements list which was then 'posted' on to a notice board...hence 'you've been posted' or 'your name has been posted and the list says you're going to...'

Those of us that know of times before computers would indeed remember paper versions of SROs mounted on such Boards. and may also remember some unfortunate souls who first heard of their postings in this way.

Confusingly, "Post" refers to a position within a unit manning a lookout or sentry 'Post', or the like.

Hope this helps
Rigga

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Suppose it also goes further back to when wanted signs etc. were stuck onto POSTS in the ground.. Ie getting posted. Or man your post... Stay still and don't move until told to do so.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk