• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plastic Aircraft Modellers

L

Little Tronk

Two 5lb thrust jets would indeed be a tad short of umph for a 30kg plane. Two 15lb thrust ones would do though. There are bigger RCs than 30kg flying around.

It is airflow over the wings that provides the lift.

True but if the wings (and Fuselage) do not provide sufficient lift to over come weight then putting bigger and bigger engines in will just turn it into a missile/rocket.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Double Bond was unavilable in the mid 90's.. Because Mainjafad had used it all!

Asked the unit Suppier for some double bond....

He asked "how much go you need"

I said "As much as you can get"

If memory serves next thing that happened was three large boxes turn up. Each had 10 smaller boxes in it, with 12 50g wrapped portions of the stuff in it. All Life Ex of course, or that's what I told Valley's CO when he asked what the two aircraft were built out of when he spotted them in the workshop. (Last four weeks of that tour was just making leaving gizzets).

Realist78

Master of my destiny
The stuff was like rocking horse sh!t in falklands in 1988, when I first starting using the stuff.

Saying that, at times I reckon that all the RAFs double bond and plate brass was in the Falklands, purely for gizzet manufacture.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Saying that, at times I reckon that all the RAFs double bond and plate brass was in the Falklands, purely for gizzet manufacture.

It was on Anglesey between Apr 94 and Jun 95 LOL

the two aircraft in question were built in the first half of 1995.

Between Apr 94 and Dec 95 I built almost 100 gizzits out of the stuff.

Biggest was the Phantom

Aircraft included

1-24 Scale 208 Sqn Hawk
1-48 Scale Luffwaffe Mig 29
1-72 Scale OEU Tornado F3
1-72 Scale 360 Sqn Canberra T17
1-72 Scale FRA Falcon 20 with Jammers
1-72 Scale 22 Sqn Wessex HAR3

Missiles

RUR-5 ASROC Anit Submarine Rocket.

Ground based stuff

1-48 scale 'Tiger Like' Nazi Tank
1-16 scale Yamaha FZR Motorbike
1-10 Scale Landrover 110 Hardtop
Transportable Intruder Detection alarm system (looked like a big Traffic cone).
Rollerskate
One armed bandit (x3)
Dart Board

Animals and TV related

Donkey
Kiwi
Shark
Mr Bobbly
Zebedee from the Magic Roundabout
Beaker from the Muppets

Each of them included a caricature of the person that the gizzit was for and the equipment had something to do with what happened during their tour. (though the animals, TV related and TIDAS were the caricature).

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
one of each but not huge 1/72nd would be plenty big enough.

GHuess it was obvious really :pDT_Xtremez_19:

You would do better off with 1-48 Scale ones mate, The Airfix 1-48 Bucc is a much better model than any of the 1-72 scale ones, While the only decent 1-72 scale British Phantom kit is the Fujima one which you'll only get on E-bay. The Airfix Bucc is is on the market at the minute, though the only 1-48 scale British Phantom which is currently in the shops is the Hasagwa Royal Navy FG1 (which was only used by the Sqn's of the Fife air force.

1-10 Scale Landrover 110 Hardtop

Beaker from the Muppets

Came out quite well, the Coppers nickname was Beaker by the way, because he was a complete muppet!!

Attachments

• landrover.JPG
    landrover.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 0
G

gemarriott

Unfortunately the 1/48th are simply too big. If I have to compromise a bit on quality so be it but 1/72 is about as big as I could go unfortunately

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Unfortunately the 1/48th are simply too big. If I have to compromise a bit on quality so be it but 1/72 is about as big as I could go unfortunately

Right

1-72 Scale Fujimi Phantom is currently going on E-bay for around Buy Now prices of £25-30 including P+P and most of them are the 1979 Alcock and Brown Anniversary scheme (the other ones on the market (only open for bids) has markings for 19/56/92 Sqns).

1-72 Scale Airfix Bucc is currently around £9-11 plus P+P, but only has markings for RAF Gulf war aircraft, Royal Navy and SAAF.

I assume that you want an aircraft from Coningsby (41 Sqn or 228 OCU (64(R) Sqn) and Laarpants (15 or 16 Sqn), I cant remember which Sqn's you did.

For that aftermarket Decals will be reqired

I don't think there are any for 41 Sqn (The old Matchbox kit's RAF markings did a 41 sqn aircraft), there are markings for 228 OCU, but most of them will be from the period after you worked on them. They cost about £7.

The Germany Buccs from the mid 1970s on the other hand are covered and the decals from them are between £7-14

Other items you may like added are Weapons and Bang Seats, I'm not sure what weapons come with either as I've not built either kit since the early 1990s. The Airfix bucc only came with Anti Radar / TV Martels and drop tanks if memory serves, and the new version also has the GW1 fit of Pavespike, ALQ-101 and Brit LGB's. The Phantom may have had the Tactical Fighter Bomber fit of 1000lb Bombs, SNEB pods and maybe the EMI Recce Pod, though again I'm not sure. The Bang seats on both are best replaced by aftermarket resin replacements, the Mk 7 from the Toom are easily got, the Mk 5 from the Bucc isn't (at the mo).

G

gemarriott

Right

1-72 Scale Fujimi Phantom is currently going on E-bay for around Buy Now prices of £25-30 including P+P and most of them are the 1979 Alcock and Brown Anniversary scheme (the other ones on the market (only open for bids) has markings for 19/56/92 Sqns).

1-72 Scale Airfix Bucc is currently around £9-11 plus P+P, but only has markings for RAF Gulf war aircraft, Royal Navy and SAAF.

I assume that you want an aircraft from Coningsby (41 Sqn or 228 OCU (64(R) Sqn) and Laarpants (15 or 16 Sqn), I cant remember which Sqn's you did.

For that aftermarket Decals will be reqired

I don't think there are any for 41 Sqn (The old Matchbox kit's RAF markings did a 41 sqn aircraft), there are markings for 228 OCU, but most of them will be from the period after you worked on them. They cost about £7.

The Germany Buccs from the mid 1970s on the other hand are covered and the decals from them are between £7-14

Other items you may like added are Weapons and Bang Seats, I'm not sure what weapons come with either as I've not built either kit since the early 1990s. The Airfix bucc only came with Anti Radar / TV Martels and drop tanks if memory serves, and the new version also has the GW1 fit of Pavespike, ALQ-101 and Brit LGB's. The Phantom may have had the Tactical Fighter Bomber fit of 1000lb Bombs, SNEB pods and maybe the EMI Recce Pod, though again I'm not sure. The Bang seats on both are best replaced by aftermarket resin replacements, the Mk 7 from the Toom are easily got, the Mk 5 from the Bucc isn't (at the mo).

Ideally 2 tombs, one in ground attack role, XT891, 228OCU no tail letter in the early 70s, with gun, and sneb/bomb mix, The other 23F (not FI) from Wattisham, ideally XV406 A without RWR tail mod and in camo not grey with sparrow, sidewinder and gun.

Buccaneer, A doddle really, XZ432 K from XV sqdn, the last production bucc delivered to us to replace on we lost. Weapons not important, just pylons and slipper tanks and no refuelling probe.

As for seats not worried about that level of detail but unusually for you I have to pull you up on a minor detail, the bucc had type 6 seats, the tomb had mk5 seats sans rockets initially replaced later with type7s with ro:pDT_Xtremez_42:ckets.

G

gemarriott

Gem. Im really intrigued as to what the project is?

I just want some boys ornaments of the aircraft I worked on for my desk mate. My grand kids like the pictures now they are getting a bit older a couple of models on my desk will be safe. Tragedy is my eyes are fooked for close up work and I don't have the talent anyway to turn out something respectable enough

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Ideally 2 tombs, one in ground attack role, XT891, 228OCU no tail letter in the early 70s, with gun, and sneb/bomb mix, The other 23F (not FI) from Wattisham, ideally XV406 A without RWR tail mod and in camo not grey with sparrow, sidewinder and gun.

Buccaneer, A doddle really, XZ432 K from XV sqdn, the last production bucc delivered to us to replace on we lost. Weapons not important, just pylons and slipper tanks and no refuelling probe.

I'll build them for you, Please PM about paying for the kits and decals, I most likely will need to get a couple of generic Serial decal sheets to do the serials you want (pointless you buying them and sending them to me).

As for seats not worried about that level of detail but unusually for you I have to pull you up on a minor detail, the bucc had type 6 seats, the tomb had mk5 seats sans rockets initially replaced later with type7s with ro:pDT_Xtremez_42:ckets.

Typo:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:
G

grumpyoldb

Another aside, as someone who worked on XV's Bucc's and IIAC's F4's in ASF at Laarbruch, I would love to see some piccy's of the finished models. :pDT_Xtremez_14: