• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Physical Test question URGENT reply needed

B

BennoMc85

Afternoon all, i am presently in the process of applying to the regiment. I passed my medical on Saturday and now obviously have my physical next Friday (15/7/11) at 9:30am.

My only question that i desperately need answering is in regards to the 2.4k on the treadmill. I know that it has to be run in under 10:30m, which i am presently doing, my question is, does it matter how you get to the 2.4k within the time preiod i.e. can you alternate your speed as you see fit or must it be one set speed? also what are the rules in regards to grabbing the horizontal bar in front of the treadmill control panel, is it allowed or stricly forbidden?

I know this is the wrong place to post this topic, but i have tried and tried in the relevant section with no joy, so hopefully by putting it here someome will be able to help, as i really need an answer so i can fully prepare for my test, as passing this test is the be all and end all for me and my family at the moment :)

Thanks in advance for all and any help given, it is greatly appreciated.

-Ben Mc-

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Afternoon all, i am presently in the process of applying to the regiment. I passed my medical on Saturday and now obviously have my physical next Friday (15/7/11) at 9:30am.

My only question that i desperately need answering is in regards to the 2.4k on the treadmill. I know that it has to be run in under 10:30m, which i am presently doing, my question is, does it matter how you get to the 2.4k within the time preiod i.e. can you alternate your speed as you see fit or must it be one set speed? also what are the rules in regards to grabbing the horizontal bar in front of the treadmill control panel, is it allowed or stricly forbidden?

I know this is the wrong place to post this topic, but i have tried and tried in the relevant section with no joy, so hopefully by putting it here someome will be able to help, as i really need an answer so i can fully prepare for my test, as passing this test is the be all and end all for me and my family at the moment :)

-Ben Mc-

You can speed up and slow down as much as you like long as it's within set timescales. Not sure about the grabbing of the rail I'm afraid but I would suspect it's a big no no. Hope this helps.

L

littlered

Yeap, it doesn't matter how you get to 2.4 km you control the speed interval run if you need to. If you need to use the side bars to steady yourself, like if your're losing balance then you can, but don't actually hold on. You can't drink any water whilst you're running, before and after is fine. Also, be careful when you hit the stop button at the end. Hit it ONLY once! If you press it again you'll clear your time, which they need to record.

Hope this helps,

Good luck!

B

BennoMc85

Thanks you 2 for the replies. I am getting to 2.4k in just over 10mins, but am doing 14.5k for 3 mins, 13.5k for 2 mins, 12.5k for 2 mins, 14.5k for 3 mins and then 18.5k for 30s (getting to 2.4k just after 10secs), random i know but it works for me, and i was panicking wondering if this was allowed, so i can consider myself truly relaxed in preperation now :) thanks again :p

Now that that's sorted, does anyone happen to know the number of press-ups and sit-ups that a prospective gunner must be able to do at their PJFT?

N

Nombie

40 press ups, 45sit ups.

In terms of the run, if I were you I'd seriously work on doing it at a good constant speed. Apparently for your PGAC when you do the 3miler you'll run it as a split, 1.5 in 12mins 30secs, then 1.5miles best effort in 10mins 30. I doubt they'll want to see you spending the second half putting in a little bit of effort, they will want to see you huffing and puffing and getting it in the fastest time you've ever achieved!

B

BennoMc85

The 40 press-ups, 45 sit-ups is at PGSC I think? Does anyone know about the requirments at your fitness test (PJFT)?

N

Nombie

Regardless of which stage it's for, you should be aiming to exceed that at any level of testing. I'm planning on applying for the gunners in the next 2 weeks, there is no way I'm going to look at going into my fitness test thinking "Oh yea I only need to do x amount of this and x of that"

My mindset will be to be in the best fitness of my life, and to push myself to the limit.

If you only aim for the minimum you can only expect to have a VERY hard time.

On a side note it might be 20 press ups and 35 sit ups

Stingray

Sergeant
Regardless of which stage it's for, you should be aiming to exceed that at any level of testing. I'm planning on applying for the gunners in the next 2 weeks, there is no way I'm going to look at going into my fitness test thinking "Oh yea I only need to do x amount of this and x of that"

My mindset will be to be in the best fitness of my life, and to push myself to the limit.

If you only aim for the minimum you can only expect to have a VERY hard time.

On a side note it might be 20 press ups and 35 sit ups

Good post. Do your best and if you have to chuck up after then so be it!!!!

I managed the 1.5 miler on the treadmill in 9mins 35 secs. I am 39 so am really, really old compared to you Rock Ape types. Practice makes perfect, sprint training combined with 5/6 mile jogs will prep you well.

As for push ups and sit ups....We love to screw things up a little so when you go through training they are a little bit different. For push ups your hands will be in direct line with your shoulders so if you are used to doing 50 when your hands/arms are spread out......prepare for a bit of a shock!!

Sit ups are fairly standard, hands on temples or behind head (not recommended) but I am used to someones full weight on my feet for leverage...nah...not allowed....just be warned my 150 in one go went to a paltry 60 when I first tried it!!
Good luck and I cannot emphasize to give 110% to stand you out from the others!

N

NATOStacker

-Ben Mc-

As a Sgt who worked in the London AFCO i can confirm that it is totally up to you. I wont say how to do it but i always start around 11KM an hour for the first minute then increase it every minute until you are sprinting for your life.

N

Nombie

As another recommendation I'd definitely try to get some running outside under your belt. Unless you've been consistently training with a gradient of like 2%(i think it is to simulate road running) you'll have a huge shock when you start doing runs out in fields and on the roads.

Good luck though! The PGSC does sound ridiculously tough but just remember 'Per Ardua'

B

BennoMc85

Been running outside a few times, but to be honest only really on the treadmill, but always at 2% gradient, i did wonder why it was set to that, but i guess to simulate makes sense :p

Good sesh at the gym today, ran 2.4 in under 10:30 again :) and only changed speed once, runnin 14.5k for the first 2 mins, and then 13.5k until i reached 2.4k :)

N

Nombie

Keep up the good work mate!

I managed to pull my quad muscle the other day at footie training so have been off the running for a few days but slowly getting back into it. Planning a 5 mile in the next few days followed shortly by a nice 10mile tabbing!

B

BennoMc85

I can send you some exercises via e-mail if you like :) should have some perks speaking to a Physio :p

I have a chronic case of Burstitis at the moment, just taking it easy until Friday, and then after i've passed my test i will give the gym a miss for a week (might still go swimming though) to let it die down, as at the moment its agony every morning after i go the gym :s

N

Nombie

The exercises would be awesome mate. Kind of my fault really that it happened, didn't do my usual warm up before training and just warmed up with the group, who have no real idea of general fitness! haha

Hoping to myself back into it soon though, don't want to end up wasting all the effort so far!

B

BennoMc85

Exercise 1

Static quadriceps exercise
quads-contraction.jpg
To perform have your knee straight and tense up the front muscles of the thigh as if you are trying to straighten the knee and lift the heel. Hold for a few seconds then relax. Try not to tense up the buttock muscles or to try too hard. Sometimes doing the exercise with both legs at the same time will give the affected knee the right idea.
Exercise 2

Inner range quads
inner-range-quads.jpg
Sit with your knee bent over a rolled up towel, high enough to be able to lift the heel off the ground. Tighten up the knee muscles and lift your heel off the ground. Try and get the knee completely straight when you do this. If you can’t do this fully it’s called an extensor lag.
Keep your knee firmly down on the roll. Hold for a few seconds, trying to get the heel as high as you can, relax and repeat. People with patellar (kneecap) problems may need to avoid or modify this exercise if it causes pain.
Exercise 3

Straight leg raise
straight-leg-raise.jpg
Sit or lie with the leg out straight. Tighten the thigh muscles, straighten the knee and lift the whole leg six inches (15cm) up off the bed or floor. It’s important to keep the knee completely straight during this procedure. Hold for three seconds then lower slowly.

Aim to do each exercise 3-5 times a day, with 10 repetitions each time :)