• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Persimmon homes

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Fellow Goaters have any of you had experience of buying a new home from persimmon? We are considering buying one of their new builds to get us out of the **** quarters here at Corsham. Just wondered what people's opinions were.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

unruly1986

Sergeant
I'd steer clear of ANY new build at the moment.

Firstly, the prices are generally overinflated.

Secondly, in order to secure planning permission, many companies have to pledge a certain percentage of their new build estates to the local council for social housing. This means you might have Wayne and Waynetta living next door watching Jeremy Kyle, getting ****ed all day with 2 screaming kids. Oh and they'll be getting it for free whilst you fall into negative equity and have large mortgage payments to make every month.

There have to be some houses that aren't new build down there, surely?

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you do decide to buy new, drive a hard bargain and push the price down or look for value adding extras.

M

MakkaPakka1

Make sure you buy wardrobes if you do, and you may need to hire some self storage. Went to see some new builds two weeks ago and the final staw for me was when they wanted £135000 for a house with no grass or garden fence. No thanks. And yes, 25% of the houses were social tenancy.
As soon as you move in you might as well burn £25000.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

I own a Persimmon home, I bought it in 2004 and I have had absolutely no problem whatsoever. I have actually owned 3 new build homes, Belway, David Wilson, and Persimmon. The Persimmon is by far the best quality. Hope this balances up any negativity already created in this thread, toomany people are to quick to stick the boot in on new builds.

MTMAD

SAC
You obviously got too used to the luxury overseas provides Chip? Land of Milk & Honey no more?::/:

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
You obviously got too used to the luxury overseas provides Chip? Land of Milk & Honey no more?::/:

Not at all mate we were very happy with our quarter at Cosford before we went to Germany. The standard of quarter here is far from that!

Thanks for all the comments so far very useful information.

G

gemarriott

Chip, My lad bought anew Persimmon home in Wolves a few years back and had no problems. All the niggles like paint finishes, fencing, turfing were dealt with promptly with no hassle.

ERT

Corporal
The house will be a house that comes with a 10 year NHBC warranty.

The rest is what sort of deal you can get with it, we recently looked at a Redrow house. It was £140,000 on the books, or £100,000 via a home-share scheme.

The scheme was £75,000 for 75%, which gave the value of £100,000.

The difference in the build of the houses were different..ie..

- No appliances
- No electrics in garage
- No fitted wardrobes
- etc..

The difference was not near £40,000 in workmanship, but the £140,000 was probably not anywhere near £140,000 anyhows.

So, have a look around and see whats available, as the price your might be paying for all the extras thrown in, will be divided up over that 20-25year mortgage.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Mortgages are hard to come by for some these days and the markets are flat so if you have the financial means it puts you in a strong bargaining position. When you've chosen the site you want to but in consider these requests:

- Sell me the show home with everything in it for no extra money
- I want free white goods and I'll sign today
- I want you to pay my solicitor's fees
- I want you to carpet the place throughout and I want to choose the carpet
- I'm not keen on stamp duty...you pay it for me!
- You pay 5% of the deposit for me
- I want free upgrades from the standard kitchen and bathroom ware and I'l sign today
- I don't want to buy something resembling the Somme...turf my gardens for free
- I like the place but the back garden lacks some character...put some decking in for me and I'll sign today

Look at what is on offer already and make up a shopping list of cheeky requests and don't be afraid to sigh deeply when they say no and audiably say 'right love lets head over the the Wilsons site...they were much more helpful' and walk out a few times...a meter of carpet to os could well be £25 a square meter but to them it could be as little as £5...white goods if not already on offer may only rush them £500 at trade prices but to you it could be well over a grand.

Worth a go if you've got the poker face...

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
On the complex where I live it's a mixture of Persimmon and David Wilson Homes. As I bought my house "Off Plans" I went around the show homes of both builders and found David Wilson to be much better build quality. However, I have a good mate that lives around the corner in a Persimmon house and he's still chuffed with it.

The guarantee is usually 5 years for all things in the house with a structural 10 year guarantee. In other words after the 5 year point you are on your own unless the house subsides :)

I also agree with the comments made above regarding builder pledging a certain percentage of houses to the local council. That happened round here and initially we had all sorts of problems with the chavs until we all complained and the trouble makers were flung out. Every night they were coming back ****ed up, vomming all over the paths, arguing, having punch ups and generally being tw@ts until 2:30 am as none of them worked. Still, it's all quiet now so I have no problems but it would be worth asking what they intend to do on the estate your looking at buying at as well as asking them what they are able to do in case you get trouble makers. If they can't fling em out then tell them to ram it.

Last edited:

JFOM

Trekkie Nerd
I own a persimmons home and apart from the little settling issues have had no problem with them.

Our house retains heat very well to the extent that heating rarely has to go on and then only for an hour or so. It came with the cooker and hob and we had a choice of what fitted kitchen we wanted. Also, we managed to get free carpets / lino and our own choice of free tiles etc on the walls and we got a £5k off the asking price and builders knocked another 5% off.

Yup, the garden didn't come with turf and I didn't realise this until after it was built and contracts were handed over (my own fault on not picking up on this), but it has good sized fencing all round and with all the rain that we've had, we now have a form of grass (although I'm waiting for the spring to put in some proper turf).

As for social housing? I haven't noticed this yet. All the people in our road are lovely people and with just a couple of ex-military types it doesn't feel like a married patch.

The only problem is the estate is still getting built, so the roads outside are temporary and we have diggers and workmen moving around all the time. I think it's February when the whole estate is finished and we get the proper final road with no more diggers. The people in the Persimmons office are brilliant and are very helpful with any issues.

Overall, I'm happy enough. We were constrained to getting a new-build due to the only mortgage type we could get being linked to new-builds. I don't see it as a permanent thing living in it, but something to live for 5-10 years before selling up and getting the house we really want. New-builds do miss that 'character' and warmth that an older house has. Basically, it got us on the ladder and my family are happy - that is the only important thing in my view.

just my two-pennies worth.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Like any deal buying a home can go anyway, I bought a new home from another builder, Linden Homes, who have a good reputation locally but I still had a snag list jobs that needed doing so I'll guess you'll get this not matter who your builder, I think the builders leave a lot of the QA to the house buyer as you'll probably pick up less than a professional (who they don't have to pay) and they'd only have to fix it any.

Social housing is one of those things these days and there's different levels, we've got association (why do they sit out in their front gardens to drink and smoke), affordable homes (people trying to do their best) and standard home owners, the way the estate is built you drive through the non standard homes round a corner to the home owners area so it kind of works, it's also a cul de sac so that keeps the rif raf out. Don't assume mixed housing is automatically a bad thing.

As far as price goes I'd try and get at least 10% off and as many freebies as possible. I paid full price for the house which is quite embarrassing when I look on the website and compare my purchase to that of the neighbours, however I got load of things included, carpets, grass, bigger fence, built in wardrobes, free legal and a £500 voucher for registering on their website. I also part exchanged my old house and got well over the market value for my old house then had no sellers fees to pay, or any of the hassles selling, both of which combined would have been worth around £20k or just under 10 of the house price, they will be making at least 30% profit so get yourself a slice.

Then you've got a home that should work as expected for at least the length of your posting, will be cheap to heat, will have plenty of plugs and other things that modern living needs and still be in reasonable nick when you come to sell. There are some costs but then again what you spend getting the house how you want it would have been spent maintaining an older house anyway.

Good luck and don't get suckered in by the sales agent, he's not your friend you are his pay check.