• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pensions and getting divorced

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Must be some special ink to cost that much...how can they justify that amount? Even if it took a person a whole day to type your details in and press 'Print' then shove it in an envelope, frank it and walk it to the 'mail out' tray I doubt that persons wage comes to more than 80 quid for the period...

wankers

I know, they really are taking the p1ss. I only noticed the cost of a second print out when reading the small print. Apparently they are only required to provide one statement of the transfer value during the period of the pension. I photocopied the original quick smart.

sarboy22b

LAC
I went through all this crap this year-the pensions people actually charge you £180 ish quid if you have done over 22 !! how fair is that.That gives you a "cash equivalent transfer value" which is required by the courts when they are sorting things out,and you will be expected to provide it. You can come to financial arrangements with you ex,but they do need to be ratified by the courts to ensure that things are fair.I have managed to hang on to my pension and lump sum-but had to give my ex the family home with nothing at all coming to me out of it.The plus is that I have a clean break agreement that is cast in stone.This means that should I be lucky enough to win the lottery for instance-the ex would not be able to get another penny out of me.If anyone wants any gen PM me and I will gladly give you my recent experience in the hope it may help!

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Off Topic ..we dont have the csa involved and wont do..i hate the buggers as much as the next person and one thing i do have is a mind of my own..everything has been amicable and will stay that way..has to for the kids sake.Financially he pays his share for the kids which is no more than if we were still together and we both agreed to that...fraid im not a money seeking ex.I dont want any of his pension...hes earnt it not me.Dont care what the law might say..they cant make me take it..if i dont feel im not entitled to it then i wont take it.Ive dealt with solicitors before and ive not been budged by them when ive felt what i have decided is right no matter what they or friends may say and my friends know better than to try and change my mind once made up.I do feel sorry for those that do get taken to the cleaners by some women..puts a bad light on us all..but we are not all like that.Off Topic

Sorry for going off topic yet again.

Don't undersell yourself. You did your share by looking after the home and the kids.
I don't understand why you think you don't deserve some of his pension. l agree that you shouldn't 'take him to the cleaners' but have you considered what might happen should he remarry in the future or decide to go back on your agreement. Things can rapidly change when a third party gets involved.
For some people the spitting of the pension/s can be advantageous for both parties so shouldn't be ruled out.

sarboy22b

LAC
If you do go for a share of his pension you won't get a penny from it until you are 60/65 depending on your retirement age.That is wht it is better if you can sort things out by getting the house or a big chunk of the gratuity-whatever suits. I think that it is not advantageous for either party to split the pension. Also if he has not yet completed 22 and decides for whatever reason to come out before he does complete it,your pension would be worth 5/8ths of f*ck all

M

mumof4

Don't undersell yourself. You did your share by looking after the home and the kids.
I don't understand why you think you don't deserve some of his pension. l agree that you shouldn't 'take him to the cleaners' but have you considered what might happen should he remarry in the future or decide to go back on your agreement. Things can rapidly change when a third party gets involved.
For some people the spitting of the pension/s can be advantageous for both parties so shouldn't be ruled out.

Yes i have looked after the home and the kids, he comes out in 2011 after doing 22 yrs.we married in 2001 and split this year.As far as im concerned, he worked for his pension, not me.

If you do go for a share of his pension you won't get a penny from it until you are 60/65 depending on your retirement age.That is wht it is better if you can sort things out by getting the house or a big chunk of the gratuity-whatever suits. I think that it is not advantageous for either party to split the pension. Also if he has not yet completed 22 and decides for whatever reason to come out before he does complete it,your pension would be worth 5/8ths of f*ck all

we have agreed that i will get some of his lump sum,

the reason is i dont want any of his pension is because i saw what my mother did to my dad after they split after 27 yrs, hed been in the RAF for 30 odd yrs and she really did take him to the cleaners, nearly destroyed him and he was left with peanuts after taking voluntary redundancy.

sarboy22b

LAC
You will be best getting a share of his lump sum, because you would only be entitled to 50% of the pension that he has accrued since you married up until you split up-which would certainly not amount to much,and as I said you would not get anything until you reach retirement age.
Divorce is a horrible thing,and is usually made worse once solicitors get involved.
I wish you good luck for the future.

I

Impboy

Ive read all the posts with interest and am surprised that no one has said about suing for the partners pension if they are in work.
I got divorced 3 years ago and during the process I asked my sol about the financial side of things and she went through the options, one of which was the pension rights. It seems that if your partner makes a play on your pension you can counter act by suing for theirs but only for the years you have been together. My ex soon backed off when she found out about this little gem. :)

C

Comms_Lad

So if my ex decided she wanted a chunk of my pension, but then later remarries she gets feck all?

chiefy

Corporal
So if my ex decided she wanted a chunk of my pension, but then later remarries she gets feck all?

That very much depends on the Court Order ratifying the financial settlement, the court will assess everything which is laid out on your Form E and assess if the financial deal you strike with your spouse is "fair and agreeable" It has absolutely nothing to do with the years accrued on your pension during your relationship(although this can obviously be used to establish fairness) The court will assess all of your combined assets/debts including pensions and should your marriage have been long or medium term they will try and split the plunder evenly (and the debt if appropriate) although for a short term marriage the guidelines are different. Often these days in order for a clean break solicitors recommend "a pension sharing order" rather than a "pension earmark" you really really need to understand the difference between the two, read and inwardly digest the AFPS Leaflet "Pensions on Divorce"

There is some utter nonsense on this thread with reference to spousal pension rights, see a solicitor! Be very careful how you sort out an "agreed" settlement, if a court later decides that your spouse was ill advised he/ she may have grounds to have the financial settlement re-evaluated (Exactly this has just happened to a friend of mine whose wife agreed not to touch his pension 2 years ago when they had a "do it yourself" divorce)