• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pension calc

unruly1986

Sergeant
Quick question. are the figures that the pension calc spits out the actual figures I will receive at retirement, or the equivalent figures in today’s money (they will be adjusted for inflation)?

e.g. the current projected pension at SPA is £32k; in 33 years that won’t be worth £32k in today’s money. Will it be uplifted to account for this?

I might not be using the correct terms, but hopefully somebody will understand what I’m trying to get at.

4everAD

Sergeant
Quick question. are the figures that the pension calc spits out the actual figures I will receive at retirement, or the equivalent figures in today’s money (they will be adjusted for inflation)?

e.g. the current projected pension at SPA is £32k; in 33 years that won’t be worth £32k in today’s money. Will it be uplifted to account for this?

I might not be using the correct terms, but hopefully somebody will understand what I’m trying to get at.
Values at todays rates as they would have no idea what inflation will be. You can adjust in the calculator for inflation to give you an idea what it will be in the future.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Values at todays rates as they would have no idea what inflation will be. You can adjust in the calculator for inflation to give you an idea what it will be in the future.
Thanks - so these will increase at the time of payment to account for inflation?

montheton

LAC
Seen something today that said the calculator may not be available till March 2023 or after.(Teams news I think)

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
You would get figures that reflect what is, rather than the post-remedy position. I would suggest that, for the form 12 could give you the post-remedy position, the calculator would need to have been finalised.

4everAD

Sergeant
This seems to have been going on for ages, where are the other public pension schemes wrt their resolutions?

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
There’s an update on the FOS site, don’t expect the calculator anytime soon.

And to think all this confusion/uncertainty could have been avoided by leaving people on their original pension schemes if desired!!!! More pubic money wasted in a vain attempt to save money by 5crew1ng military personnel and public service staff over!!

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I just want to know what my pension is likely to look like. I'm out in 2023, it's very frustrating.
That the well earned 22?? Don't make the mistake I did and try to sign on unless desperate and need cash!!! Signing on for 4 years was the biggest mistake I made. Lasted 10 extra months!!!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
That the well earned 22?? Don't make the mistake I did and try to sign on unless desperate and need cash!!! Signing on for 4 years was the biggest mistake I made. Lasted 10 extra months!!!
I did like shutting my WO down at the time who asked if I was going to sign on for another 4yrs (most toxic work environment ever).

The look on his face when I justified my 'No' with, 'Once you factor in the normal deductions of Tax and NI you're left with about 9k, my pension will pay more than that in 1 year and I'm not putting up with this bullshit anymore.....' 🤷

That felt good. 😂👍

StickyFingers

Sergeant
I would stay on in the RAF but I'd want a minimum of £50k a year salary. My current wage plus my loss of immediate pension and a little extra for my trouble.

ERT

Corporal
Pension calculation..

If you use the normal calculator, you should be able to work out it roughly..

Using the 75/15 figures, you could..

APFS 75 - Calculate the number of days served, from eligible age up to 31 March 2015. This would give you a final salary daily rate. Then, calculate the number of days served from eligible age to 31 March 2022. Multiply the daily rate, against number of days served. That should give you the final salary, APFS 75 value.

AFPS 15 - The same as above, but from the 1st April 2015. As its average earnings, the calculation can be also mirrored.

This should give you a rough, AFPS 75 & 15 payment ideas.

You can also work it out for change/no change.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Have to admit that I was sad to PVR when I did..( a complicated story involving a bitter ex who hated RAF life) I carried over just under 10 yrs out of 14 to the plods ( which she ended up hating more than the RAF…). I managed to get in just in time retaining the then allowances and old pension scheme which changed shortly afterwards shafting loads of colleagues