• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pain in shins

Mcumba

LAC
Basically i have my PJFT next Monday for the regiment but two weeks ago started get pains in my shins that have got progressively worse as I've continued to train (probably not wise I know) to the point where I'm struggling to do the time or distance required due to feeling like someone has attacked my shins with some 2x4. Anyone have any suggestions or advice. Read it could be shin splints but this seems to be a generalisation of any pain in that area.

Cheers

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It is, and your trainers are worn, or crap. It be that your toes are gripping down to gain purchase because they are worn, which causes shin splints.

New trainers and a coupla days rest.

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
As above, footwear is the key. Also make sure you're laces arent tied too tight.

R.I.C.E. - Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate ... Take time out to sit with your feet up with ice on the shin.

Warm up and stretch off before exercise. (ALWAYS important)

Take a couple of days off running, cycle or row to keep the cardio workout going but avoid the weight bearing / impact of running.

Brufen is your friend.

Stingray

Sergeant
As above, footwear is the key. Also make sure you're laces arent tied too tight.

R.I.C.E. - Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate ... Take time out to sit with your feet up with ice on the shin.

Warm up and stretch off before exercise. (ALWAYS important)

Take a couple of days off running, cycle or row to keep the cardio workout going but avoid the weight bearing / impact of running.

Brufen is your friend.

I suffered tremendously with shin splints, mostly down to playing too much football on an artificial pitch apparently and had numerous bouts of them when hill training also, so feel your pain.
An ex-PTI mate who I went through a course with was in agony with them, no pain killers for him but through gritted teeth and perseverance completed the required level as failure would have meant re-course/RTU.
Best of luck, if it really is what you want, push through to the end.

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
Shin splints - i feel your pain Brother Mcumba

in 90% of cases this is down to poor footwear, ie, not enough cushioning. I had to virtually stop running for 2-3 months with this. Keep your fitness up with swimming & cycling - good non-impact aerobic sports !!

Good luck

Mcumba

LAC
Cheers for the advise people. Going to a running shop Thursday after my medical so should hopefully sort out some trainers that suit my running style. Other than that think its a case of manning up and just pushing through the pain on Monday.

Cheers.

G

Gary

Shin splints - i feel your pain Brother Mcumba

in 90% of cases this is down to poor footwear, ie, not enough cushioning. I had to virtually stop running for 2-3 months with this. Keep your fitness up with swimming & cycling - good non-impact aerobic sports !!

Good luck

This,

Your best waiting till the pain is fully gone, if you start running when "most" of the pain is gone then its asif they instantly come back as bad as they was

I used to have this alot from when i used to rope train (skip), expecially when doubling jumps, id only have to do a few and id have to give it a rest for a good week or 2 because of the pain

I had exactly the same problem. New decent pair of trainers (asics) and bam they were gone as quick as I got them. However it's not always that easy, try a visit to your doctor if new shoes don't cut it.

Another way I managed to get rid of the symptoms before new shoes was to stretch my leg in a weird way, as in find a kerb or something and put your foot (top) on the side of it and push, you should feel the stretch where it hurts, do that before you run and possibly during (obviously not your PJFT) but that definitely helped me too. On the treadmill I just did the same thing but pushed over using the lower (toes) front of my foot.

Sounds ridiculous when I try to explain it but it did work.

matty1012

LAC
Get a piece of string or strapping and tie it around your upper shin just below your knee. When I was going through the process I spend hundreds on new trainers but this didn't relieve the pain.

The string trick works instantly I don't know how it works but I have researched it online and quite a few people have used this method.