• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overseas tours

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Hello Shiny people.

I am currently reading "Airwaves" (someone has to!) In an article about overseas tours, they describe the application for a tour, the name going on a list, then the wait! Then there is a note from the editor that says "this system is currently under review". Is it? and if it is, how come "Airwaves" know about it before us?

The article is on P23 of issue 31, the winter 2005 edition.

Any Gen?

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Having just finished a rather trunkated Cyprus tour - 10 years on the list and No.14 when picked - the majority of people posted out there seemed to swap with someone who was tourex who wanted their post in the UK regardless of where they were on the list!

The next few people posted out after me had done 14 & 19 years respectively on the same list as me!

Of interst, what's the longest anyone has stayed on the overseas list? :confused:

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
wobbly said:
Been on the list for Cyprus for 19 years :(

Sorry to tell you this Wobbly, No sooties out there! Riggers have nicked all the jobs and there's only a handfull of them - before it all goes Civvy :mad:

Came back from a tour on VAHS in 98. Even then they were looking at ways of saving money. We were asked to look at saving 1/2 million over 2 years! Going civvie was one of the options that was bounded about. 84 have gone that way so the signs are not good for all on the list? FRA/Serco, perhaps.

Hope not, it is a 'must have' tour. (That has nothing to do with the Keo) :D

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
As I left there were rumours of more cuts! Apparently there are too many people supporting the airfield! Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!

Within 3 years it will be Akrotiri Garrison! Not a blue suit in sight! :mad:

During my tour the word 'Jointary' reared its ugly head. Seemed that we were all supposed to get on fine and hug trees etc. with our army associates. To this end we had to close all our bars, (ours was Fat Alberts, a well known supply of the amber nectar to crews night stopping), and all drink in the same watering hole at beer calls.

The Forces Workshop bar was a bit run down but this was to be the new CEU bar and required a new name, suggestions were asked for. This was a very unpopular move but we put forward 'The Forced Inn'.

As far as I am aware of, the Colonel/Wing Co never clicked to the true meaning ;)

Is it still there and being used?

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Yeah but CEU is now part of CSSU and still Army run!

The bar is so good that I can't remember the name! And I only left Cyprus 3 months ago! :confused: