• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Out of trade SNCO = B candidate?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Is this the pre board policy now? Because I know quite a few SNCO's in out of trade jobs who are being boarded as B's when they were hoping to be A's off the back of good reports.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Absolutely not. If that sort of policy was adopted then there'd be nobody in AFCOs, nobody teaching recruits, nobody teaching JMLC, nobody teaching IMLC.

That said, I see out of trade posts as ones that you must be demonstrating leadership and management above those of your trade peers who have remained within trade, as they have their increasing trade skills to add more weight to their report.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Absolutely not. If that sort of policy was adopted then there'd be nobody in AFCOs, nobody teaching recruits, nobody teaching JMLC, nobody teaching IMLC.

That said, I see out of trade posts as ones that you must be demonstrating leadership and management above those of your trade peers who have remained within trade, as they have their increasing trade skills to add more weight to their report.

And what amazes me is that some of the posts give far more responsibility across the Stn as well budgetary responsibilities. More so than the in trade posts.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is this the pre board policy now? Because I know quite a few SNCO's in out of trade jobs who are being boarded as B's when they were hoping to be A's off the back of good reports.

Maybe the good reports just aren't as good as they think....

R

RIGHTHANDSPANKER

That wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I was at a brief from the TS who stated "2 pers one in a core job the other wasn't, who am I going to promote? The one in the core job". Fantastic!

KingGuin

Sergeant
That wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I was at a brief from the TS who stated "2 pers one in a core job the other wasn't, who am I going to promote? The one in the core job". Fantastic!

If your TS made such a sweeping generic comment then he/she/it is a c*ck. Fact!

L

Little Tronk

Sorry to be blunt but perhaps they are actually a bit cr@p!

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I remember when promotion wasn't expected it was earned. An era where it wasn't strange to see 13 years between ranks. Now we have people expecting it as soon as they are eligible after 3 years seniority.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I remember when promotion wasn't expected it was earned. An era where it wasn't strange to see 13 years between ranks. Now we have people expecting it as soon as they are eligible after 3 years seniority.

And some actually do get it off 3 assessments. I know of a TG1 (Mech) who was still a Cpl in Sep 08 and became a Chf Tech in Dec 12. He was promoted of SJARs in May 09, May 10 and May 11. His May 12 SJAR was completed after the PSB had sat.

Last edited:

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant

How can the TS take an airmans posting into account when the airman has little control over it? How about when an airman wants to be in a "core job" but cant get posted due to "service needs" / everyone else PVR'ing in his section?

R

RIGHTHANDSPANKER

I never got the chance to ask him. He was too concerned about getting my job disestablished. His words of if you have not been taught the job at phase 2 then you should not be employed in the role.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I never got the chance to ask him. He was too concerned about getting my job disestablished. His words of if you have not been taught the job at phase 2 then you should not be employed in the role.

What a poor outlook. I was never taught a variety of things in phase 2, should I stop doing them?

In my view some out of trade posts can enhance your overall experience and give you far more service knowledge.

R

RIGHTHANDSPANKER

Since when has being a TS been part of the "core" job.

I asked why Career Management was considered core as I am unaware of any courses at the Trade School. I am still waiting for an answer. The annoying thing is my job needs to be filled by TG17, and went for this job to broaden my experience as per Project Zeus.

KingGuin

Sergeant
And some actually do get it off 3 assessments. I know of a TG1 (Mech) who was still a Cpl in Sep 08 and became a Chf Tech in Dec 12. He was promoted of SJARs in May 09, May 10 and May 11. His May 12 SJAR was completed after the PSB had sat.

Its not an unheard of concept, I had 2 for my last promotion, one of my peers 3.

Same one as you "DAD"!

Sigh...taught you too well SON - must confess I didnt notice it was OUR TS! - Taxi for me ha ha!

Artist

LAC
The answer to the original question is NO - out of trade does not = B candidate as Mutty rightly points out that if that was the case there would be not volunteers to fill out of trade appointments. I'd also be very surprised if the TG17 TS actually said that he would promote someone from a core position over someone out of trade. However, when last year when he had to make the unenviable decisions about which positions to cut under the auspices of the 316 paper he made the decision to save posts in PSFs and on Sqns in favour of positions that were in GD Flts, on Force Protection Wgs, PA to Stn Cdrs and those positions that were not core to TG17. He would rather protect Core PFA posts - this does not necessarily mean the people filling those jobs are any more valuable to the RAF than those who are filling any other positions. Moving to other points Career Managers have a very robust training regime in place and a strong peer mentoring system but this takes place at High Wycombe in house rather than at Worthy Down and yes it is core to trade. Finally, I'd rather have a TS who has filled a variety of positions across the board in TG17 including PFA, TDF, Training, Embassies so they have a rounded view of the variety of tasks - of course the job is core TG17- unless of course you'd rather have a zob make all the decisions for you - cos I suspect if that was the case TG17 would have been sold down the swanee by now!.

R

RIGHTHANDSPANKER

Who has said anything about wanting a Zob as TS? From my point of view I said exactly what the TS said regarding promotion. Did it bother me that he stated he wanted to cut my post as it has not been taught at the schhol for 5 years - not really. It was a bit if a kick in the teeth to be working your arse off (like many of us) to hear that a person in a core job would be preferred to promotion.